Pex Clamping Rings

aunut

Does anyone know a way to remove these clamps from a plumbing tube without hurting the tube? And, can I replace it with a screw type clamping ring, or do I need to buy an (expensive) Pex crimping tool?

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

No!

There is usually enough slack to redo. There are alternatives to the expensive tool but the tool does a reliable job. If you get the tool set there is a removal tool to use once the line is cut. Cut the line just grazing the fitting when you do..

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

In order to save a t fitting, I used a pair of channelocks, visegrips, and a whole lot of elbow grease, twisting and turning the tab till it broke. That was on the pinch clamp type, not the collar type. And I highly recommend the tool. It was money well spent as I have used it more than a few times in the past.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

The clamps with the tab is the way to go. You can get those and the tool for install at lowes or Home Depot. That type uses one tool for all sizes. If you go with the ring it is size specific.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Not exactly sure why such a price difference. As it usually is with tools, you get what you pay for. Also the crimping tool has to be "calibrated" so to speak so as not to pinch too tight or too loose. It's not a difficult process and mine came with the feeler gauge to check it.

I considered it an investment because if something pex goes bad at the wrong time, theres really no way to fix it without the tool, and it is nice to have it when you need it.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

No a regular hose clamp won't work. we always used a hacksaw and carefully cut on a diagonal across the crimp ring. If you have the newer kind of crimp with the "bump" on it (can't remember the proper name) use diagonal pliers on it and cut,wiggle it until it breaks.

I use the expanding Pex rings & the Milwaukee expanding ring tool. Easiest & best to use but pricey @ around $400. I had to re-plumb the our mortar & brick home so could justify the cost. BUT in most plumbing supply businesses (not Home Depot, Lowes & etc) will rent the Milwaukee tool. Also agree use a Pex pipe cutting tool. They are cheap, easier to use and insure a square cut.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

Archived