Jump to content

What is this part?


Recommended Posts

This part is on my truck (Volvo, Cummins motor). I've never seen anything quite like it before, and searches aren't turning up anything. The tube on the side is clear(ish) and plumbed into the canister at the top and bottom, allowing the fluid level in the canister to be determined. There is a metal screen inset into the opening on the top. There is only one outlet, which is on the bottom and goes into a 90 degree elbow, into a ball valve, and then feeds into a port on the side of the motor. The ball valve is normally closed and the canister appears to be empty. Opening it does not seem to allow fluid back into the canister, so I assume that the bottom of the canister is above the fluid level of whatever it is connected to. It appears to have had motor oil in it, and there is some seepage at the hose connection into the block. It's a very slow leak and has accumulated a lot of oily dirt build up at that connection, so I'm pretty sure that it is connected to the motor oil part of the motor.


This came from the US Express fleet.


My best guess is that it is designed to be a quick fill method for the oil. Fill the canister up with a gallon or more of oil at a time through the wide mouth at the top, open the ball valve, and watch the level drain out via the clear(ish) tube. Or, leave the ball valve open while filling the canister and using the tube to make sure that you don't overfill it. It certainly has a much larger mouth than the normal oil fill point on the motor.


Does anyone know anything more about this device? It's proper name and use? Maintenance required, etc?


Thanks in advance!




Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a container to keep "new (clean)" engine oil. Some fleets used this so their drivers could "top" off the oil instead of using jugs of oil. If you look at the bottom of the container there should be a valve that opens and releases oil to the engine. Follow the hose at the bottom and you will see where it enters at the top of the oil pan. I "zip tied" my valve to the "close" position.

At my first oil change I drained it empty and have left it empty. Thought about removing it completely but I just left it as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speedco empties mine into the oil pan after the oil is drained and the plug is replaced and then tops off the oil in the engine and the oil in the make-up tank. I really haven't had to use the make-up tank but i have it filled every oil change anyway. I only do that because it's what i want to do....no real reason, other than that. Charlie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My truck is also a former US Express and also had that refill reservoir. The last time I had the oil changed I had the mechanic yank it off. To me it was just an eyesore and potential source of oil leaks. I can see the potential utility for a truck driven thousands of miles per week, but my engine is not using oil at any great rate, so I prefer to carry gallon jugs with me. I also wondered about it when I first got my truck, as I had never seen anything like it before.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

The port looks like it should have a standard plate and gasket blocking the hole. Anyone have an appropriate part # and/or link for those components so that I can remove the reservoir. It is leaking at the connection between the hose and the port, so I would like to remove it altogether.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RVers Online University


Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

RV Cable Grip

RV Cable Grip

All the water you need...No matter where you go

Country Thunder Iowa

Nomad Internet

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

RV Air.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo

  • Create New...