Grandfathered Verizon Data Plans

We have been using a lot of data lately (darn Ancestry.com anyway) and I have been looking into these plans. Do any of you use one? What are your experiences? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

StarlifterFE
Retired USAF C-141 Flight Enginner
Full-Timers
2005 Holiday Rambler Ambasador

2010 Honda CR-V

We have been using a lot of data lately (darn Ancestry.com anyway) and I have been looking into these plans. Do any of you use one? What are your experiences? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

May not be what your looking for but i use the Opera browser and it seems to use less data and use Duck-Duck-Go as my search engine.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Since Verizon increased the cost of the unlimited data plan a few months ago and with their XXL data now at 18 Gigs for $100, the advantage of the grandfathered plan isn't as great as it once was. That's not to say I'm surrendering mine - but if I didn't have it, I'd be okay with the XXL plan most of the time. Then again, we don't ever stream video - that's the big data hog.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I am not sure how you go about getting one these days.
"grandfathered" means you had the plan way back when and you continue to be a customer using that old plan. I have seen a few folks talk of wanting to "sell" their grandfathered plan to someone else, but I don't know how that could be done. If it is possible, I imagine it could be tricky.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

A couple of years ago I canceled my Verizon unlimited data plan (3G only of course). The customer service person asked me if I wanted to transfer it to someone else. I didn't so just canceled it. I don't know if they still allow that or not.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I wouldn't be without ours.

We average 150+ GB per month and have for over a year without any problems (I've seen reports of people using lots more than that). I need 70 - 80 per month just to run my business, so it's really the only option for us.

There are two standard ways to go about getting them:

One is to rent from someone that already owns one (last I heard they were $150 - $200 a month on eBay).

The other is to buy a line from someone that already owns one, and assume liability for the plan (known as an AOL). I've seen these costing anywhere from $800 - $2000 up front, but once you own them they seem to run $45 - $60 a month depending upon the plan. The AOL process is very tricky, and you can lose the unlimited portion of the plan if you aren't careful, but I've seen dozens of reports of people successfully getting them over the last year or two.

Chris and Cherie at RV Mobile Internet have more info on them, and if you search the Facebook page below you'll find lots of discussion on them.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinternet/

Both of our phones are on grandfathered unlimited plans. We use both of them as hotspots and it's convenient not to have to worry which one is at home for hotspot use. If 18 GB costs ~$100 as was mentioned previously, then we're way ahead keeping both plans since we often use 80-100 GB in a month.

Check with Technomadia (Chris and Cherie) if you are interested in buying one using an AOL.

My understanding is that the "rental" process involves people who have business Verizon accounts on which unlimited plans are still available. A business owner can get an additional line for a monthly fee and then can "rent" that line to someone else. Technomadia knows all about this also. They can tell you who the legitimate sellers are.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks in advance.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. You can't just choose a grandfathered plan. "Grandfathered" means it's an old plan that is still supported for people who have it but no longer offered to new or existing customers. I have it and it's awesome but that's not really relevant to someone who doesn't already have the same type of plan. The only advice I can really give is to people who still have such a plan: Don't give it up! :)

We used the info provided by Chris and Cherie at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ to purchase

our plan.

It was a grandfathered plan, we did an AOL. The cost was $899.00, and it is now our

unlimited data plan. We pay $68 monthly for the service. The seller was on eBay, he helped us on the call

to Verizon, and stayed on the line until I could verify online with Verizon that it went through.

It was a great deal for us.

Archived