Colorado camping

cluwood56

My daughter recently informed use she is doing the Continental Divide Trail(CDT).

She has done the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest trail!

But she did those with a partner! This one she is doing alone.

We live in upstate New York but want to meet up with her in Southern Colorado and again later in Idaho.

Any information on camp grounds and travel near the Continental divide in Colorado and Idaho would be greatly appreciated!

Near my summer home in southern Co, the CDT passes north-south over Wolf Creek Pass. There is a nice Rio Grande National Forest campground a few miles east of the pass, just off Hiway 160 on forest service rd 410, Big Meadows Campground. As a NFS camp its got no hookups, 14 day limit and its first come first serve. Its right next to a nice lake, Big Meadows Reservoir, with fishing & non-motorized boating, and very convenient to the CDT trailhead at Wolf Creek Pass.

If you prefer a full hookup commercial park, there are plenty down the pass to the east in South Fork, or down the pass to the west in Pagosa Springs.

The next easily accessible spot where the CDT crosses a hiway is near Lake City Co at hiway 149. Lake City has lots of forest service and commercial campgrounds, they do tend to fill up at peak summer season.

Jim2

Thanks for the info!

One thing! She will need a shower!

She will be pungent from past experience!

Does the Big Meadows Campground have showers.

I will be using or popup and do not require hook ups but a shower would be nice!

Thanks

Archived