This could spell the beginning of the end for cellphone voice service

RV_

Aside from their limited service, mostly urban, T-Mobile is willing to bet that no one needs their voice services and these plans might be perfect for some RVrs. I've been, quite frankly amazed at what some of the RV crowd pays for their cell plus data. I would drop mine except that T-Mobile does not have service here where I live. I initiate most calls and receive few, which is how I like it. Most comm now is text and Skype for us.

This T-Mobile sounds great for travelers that stay at destination parks and business RVrs that are in cities and towns a lot.

Excerpt:

"T-Mobile appears ready to bet that some consumers will gladly take that tradeoff, giving up redundant voice service for the extra data. It's a moment that's been coming for years, as wireless carriers have come to realize that selling mobile data, not voice minutes, is where the money increasingly lies. Here's a 2013 chart from Bloomberg Businessweek that illustrates the trend.

How much more data might T-Mobile subscribers get with the rumored Data Only plans? A quick comparison with T-Mobile's existing Simple Choice plans gives us the answer, which is about 8 GB.

Let's take a closer look. Here's the price structure of T-Mobile's current Simple Choice plan, which includes voice, texts and data. A single phone line with 2 GB of monthly data sets you back $50. A plan with 6 GB of data costs $65. And you get 10 GB for $80.

Now compare that to the rumored Data Only plans, whose prices look like this, according to TmoNews.

•2GB = $20
•6GB = $35
•10GB = $50
•14GB = $65
•18GB = $80
•22GB = $95

Now to put it all together: For the same $50, you soon might be able to buy either A) voice + text + 2 GB of data; or B) text + 10 GB of data. That's 8 extra gigabytes in your pocket, just for shedding voice service.

The same holds true at higher price points. Pay $65, and you can have either voice + text + 6 GB of data, or you can have text + 14 GB, which also represents a difference of 8 GB.

These prices are the same as what T-Mobile already charges customers who want to buy data-only plans for tablets, mobile hotspots and other connected devices. Now, it seems, T-Mobile may want to extend that offer to cellphones. It'll be interesting to see if other carriers follow suit."

Several charts and more discussion is in the W. Post article here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/03/29/finally-a-phone-plan-for-people-who-hate-phone-calls/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_tech

I have Sprint unlimited voice, text, data(on iPhone) with 3GB hot spot.

Cost $60 month plus all the other added on taxes, phone lease & protection Insurance.

Until last month I had been paying $50 but it didn't include the 3GB hot spot. They automatically changed my plan.

Said old plan no longer available. So I'm not complaining about getting 3GB hot spot for $10.

It has worked at almost all places I travel too. Stayed last summer for a week at one place that had voice but no LTE service.

Went to nearest town and got a Straightalk(Verizon) hot spot. And it didn't have any service there also. :(

OH!! I did call them when I noticed the $10 increase and complained about it with getting no notice from them on the increase.

So they gave me a $5 discount for 4 months. That was before I realized the $10 increase included the 3GB. :)

The Google Fi project has data only sims available for devices, for free to customers. Their services are autoswitched between wifi, Sprint and T-MObile carriers. Interestingly, we are in Evergreen Park in Chimacum, Wa, which is notorious as a dead zone for all things electronic. My wife's FI Nexus 6p gets full bars LTE but there is no Wifi here, yet. Sprint, T-mobile and Verizon are all 3g at best, so I don't even know where it is getting 10mbps download speeds from, but it is.

We pay for the service we need and the data we know we will use on a monthly basis. We have two smart phones, Verizon hot spot and a couple of tablets, We have 40 Gig of data. We are on the road a lot and use the internet for everything. We need reliable service and the data to support our needs. We need quality not cheap. The monthly bill is 255.00 total that is a lot of money but it is what we need.Note we have never used the 40 gigs of data but came close a couple of times but it is there if we need it.We got the 40 gigs on a Verizon double your data promotion a couple of years ago.

Hey Aquadawg,

You bet! I have been using a Magic jack phone since we bought our new property in 2003 and got a blazing 5 mbps Cable modem. Now, for the same price, it is 100mbps. No VoIP can reliably send and receive Fax's. But recently, in the last five years, PDFs scanned as attachments in emails have become legally acceptable to banks and other legal institutions.

The point here folks is not the data plan, but that most will Skype or VoIP and have no need of a voice charge or plan only data. And in these new plans you get a lot more data for the same price. It is still evolving as we go. As is broadband coverage in the US.

This is about changing the plans to not include voice at all. A delicate balance for some, a no brainer for others, as all major changes are until they become the norm.

:o Maybe I am out in left field here! Have Cricket 4G LTE and 10 GB of data monthly for $60.00 plus $10.00 for the hotspot feature on my phone! Same coverages as AT&T! :D Happt with the service so far! Will see this summer when I travel to Michigan to see my daughter and grands.

I'm on the backside of this I guess. Still have the unlimited data from Verizon and I USE it. The phone's hotspot is where we get all the normal stuff such as email, do the banking, surf the net etc. We download the TV shows we enjoy and probably a movie a week. On some nights we hit up Amazon Prime for streaming viewing. My data average? 125gb per month when we have service.

I am wondering what we will do if we go full time again. I am used to 350GB data cap at 100mbps. It will be at least a year or two more before our obligations are done here. Maybe Google will have their LEO satellite constellations at LEO up and running by then. That was high because we have been experimenting with a lot of the 4k streaming and tests. And I have got to put the five extra Windows 10 computers up for sale. That was a lot of Windows 10 upgrades and updates. We have been a holes and elbows with too many funerals and trying to finish the landscaping with the floods making any tractor or bobcat work impossible. I had to mow three of the five acres with a self propelled push mower in the mud last Monday/Tuesday, or it would be out of control for all but the Big tractor and bush hog.

post-1765-0-88048800-1459488182_thumb.jpg

:o Maybe I am out in left field here! Have Cricket 4G LTE and 10 GB of data monthly for $60.00 plus $10.00 for the hotspot feature on my phone! Same coverages as AT&T! :D Happt with the service so far! Will see this summer when I travel to Michigan to see my daughter and grands.

Can you use it as a hotspot. We have to have service for our laptops.

I have the T-Mobile data only with hotspot plan, 14G for $65 per month. Note that this plan has rollover, which works well for me because my usage tends to fluctuate depending on my travels. Last month, I used about 25G and still have 5.9G left over from the prior month. Note that I have unlimited movie and music downloads as well. So this works well for me.

Last week I added Google Fi, as they were selling their Nexus 5X for $199 with the Google Fi plan. Domestic phone and text is costing me $20 a month, plus I have coverage in 120 countries. I called Holland at $0.01 per minute. I also have 3GB of data, as it also has internet overseas (same rate, but 3G speeds). Next month I will be in Barcelona and will be able to use phone and data on the same equipment, no added charges. And the phone works as a hotspot, too. You only pay for what you use; if you use less than your plan you get a refund on your next bill.

Once I confirm that Google Fi works overseas and this summer in Colorado I will cancel my Verizon plan. This will save me some $200 per month with better coverage (if it all works as hoped). We live in exciting times....

== John

Archived