Looking for our first 5th wheel - recommendations please

BLLogsdon

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to buy our first 5th wheel. We have looked at several online. The area we live in does not have a lot of choices. We know we want something similar to a front living because it has more defined rooms. A living room, a kitchen and bedroom/bath. We found one that we liked but after reading reviews on the 5th wheel and company itself and posting a question here we decided to look for something different. (Sanibel 3801 by Prime Time).

So our question is can you recommend a company that makes 5h wheels that has a good reputation for customer service and standing behind their product? The high end of our budget is $80,000. I would prefer to stay in the $60,000. We are a family of two with 2 dogs and will be using this for FT within the next 1-2 years.

What are your experiences? Thank you!!!!!

How big a 5'er are you looking for? Will you be traveling or just staying put most of the time. What kind of tow vehicle do you have?

There are a lot of great used high end 5'rs on the market right now that are only a few years old.

The more information you give us the better we can help.

After living in our front living room fiver for a couple years I can tell you I'd never have another. You have a choice of a very tall fiver, a very low goose-neck height and the clearance issues that brings or a low ceiling height in the living room.

Another issue is that the front living room is hot in the summer when you don't have power for air conditioners and the rear bedroom is cool in the winter compared to a front bedroom fiver.

We thought the floor plan was perfect when we saw it on the showroom floor but living in it got old fast. Our next two fivers were front bedroom, rear kitchen versions and were much more comfortable for our lifestyle.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

As said before look for a good quality older unit, if new is what you really want and in your price range we have had good luck with our Cedar Creek, not flawless but they have stood behind their product, just my opinion. Good luck on your search.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

You can checkout the inventory of used NuWa's HitchHikers and the lines of new fifthwheels they carry at the Kansas RV Center (formerly NuWa) at http://www.nuwa.com/ They have a very good customer relations history and HitchHikers are quality units. If you want to learn about HitchHikers visit the owners forum and www.nuwaowners.org Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

It would be nice to find a 5th wheel with 17.5" wheels on it. It sounds like you will have your trailer loaded up for your full time traveling. Having larger wheels and tires will help carrier the load in the trailer safer going down the road. The 16" wheel that they put on most trailers barely get the job done. This is just my opinion.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Try New Horizons. They have a 2011 custom built 42' that just had the price reduced. I think the owner just took delivery of their new 2016 unit. The asking price is 89,000. Really well built units all custom we have a 2013 40' and love it. This unit have triple morryde with 17.5 H rated tires solid wood cabinets full body paint disc brakes and so on. They are heavy so get a good hitch. I use a comfort ride 30k my unit weights in at 26,500 loaded but my hitch takes all the hard jolts out of towing.

Heavymetal

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

• 2 weeks later...

You will want to check out the Heartland RVs lineup. The Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country all are rated and warranted for full time use and they offer a couple of front living room floor plans as well as a rear den that you might like. Check them out at www.heartlandrvs.com

Good luck with your choice.

Try New Horizons. They have a 2011 custom built 42' that just had the price reduced. I think the owner just took delivery of their new 2016 unit. The asking price is 89,000. Really well built units all custom we have a 2013 40' and love it. This unit have triple morryde with 17.5 H rated tires solid wood cabinets full body paint disc brakes and so on. They are heavy so get a good hitch. I use a comfort ride 30k my unit weights in at 26,500 loaded but my hitch takes all the hard jolts out of towing.

Heavymetal

Along with a hitch (think the one you suggested is well under rating needed), you best be looking at a TRUCK, most pulling these units are using Class 8's.

Jim

Along with a hitch (think the one you suggested is well under rating needed), you best be looking at a TRUCK, most pulling these units are using Class 8's.

Jim

Easily pulled with a Dodge 5500. Actually it may be able to be pulled with a Dodge 3500.....but maybe not, because of the pin weight.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In your price range, if looking for a new coach, I think the Lifestyle an Vanleigh are the two highest quality I have seen after much research. I also felt these two brands were the most committed to supporting their brands.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I offer you this. http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=121899

With a very reasonable weight, it can be towed with a SRW 350/3500 but a DRW is better.

It is in great condition, has not been full timed in and has many adders to the OEM list of features. DRV makes good coaches and this is a nice one.

We bought it to do what you are planning but things have changed and it is for sale.

I wish you the best in your pursuit, it is a fun experience if you let it be. Enjoy the journey, the destination will all the more sweet.

Marcel

Archived