Didn't even get to home

GlennWest

Unless I'm missing something and your brakes fail, you can activate the trailer brakes and it will bring you to a very rude stop.

Roger;

Pretty sure when brakes fail, they fail "on". So what would the "trundel" handle do for you?

This is the way "my" truck is setup, maybe others are different?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Yeah my brakes were getting hot, they smelled but not stronhly. They likely were hot when it didn't want to stop. It working fine now. Well sorta. Mechanic left in drive and shut down. He had never seen an ultrashift. That nono. Wanted to stay in first when I got on road. They stated shifting all right after that. Truck been sitting long time. May have some dirty connections. Will find out more shortly. Headed out of Winnie to Convent now.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, once you settle in get an emergency supply of airline parts including 10' of each line size, butt couplers, and some other fittings in each size. It will cost you around $50-75, but you will have the fittings to fix or bypass most on-road issues that stop you.

As Ray said, if the dryer fails you can bypass it to get to where you need to go. Once there you want to take care of the issue, though. Otherwise you could cause more issues down the road with your brakes and valves. Not helpful now, though, since you are fixed up.

My advice, once you start to build up an emergency parts list, is to add a governor to that. You likely will never use it. But it is one of the parts that will stop you cold, and it is cheap. If you have your old one, that will work.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Mechanic had purchased a govenor for truck. Govenor is located so that dryer would have to come off. Purge valve fixed air issue. He didn't put it on being it was a big job and it was working good. I will pick up one. 20 bucks. Lol. May look at relocating it. Question, in windy conditions should truck need constant steering correction. Or do I need to see front end shop.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If I purposely hold still it will vary far enough I have to correct. Didn't have air Guage either. Forgot to take mine. Will check that first. Going to take to shop and have it gone over. Runs great. One local rated highly.

On a day like today here, strong breeze, high profile vehicle you will be making steering corrections. Another thing you'll find out is that the roads down here are grooved/rutted. In your dually or regular car you don't feel the groove like you do in the truck. If you came across I-10, in a nutshell the road sucks. Even on the concrete bridges around here, the roads are worn enough to have tire grooves.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On a day like today here, strong breeze, high profile vehicle you will be making steering corrections. Another thing you'll find out is that the roads down here are grooved/rutted. In your dually or regular car you don't feel the groove like you do in the truck. If you came across I-10, in a nutshell the road sucks. Even on the concrete bridges around here, the roads are worn enough to have tire grooves.

That makes a lot of sense. I was I-10 the whole time. It felt as the truck would lurch over like a groove in road. It wore me out. Very windy also. I don't feel any play in steering. It sure takes rough I-10 a lot smoother than the dually did. I do need to go get computer dumped and reset. 66 mph. Plenty for towing but not passing. Am I missing something or my truck don't have cruise? It don't have suspension dump.

Might look into having shocks replaced. It took me awhile to not move the wheel just because the cab was leaning or moving. It's a different feeling that you need to adjust too. Cab shocks may help too. Bobtail also rides different than towing. The extra weight settles things down and makes the truck suspension really work.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My seats have a back and forth motion with a lock to stop that. My driver seat was unlocked. Noticed this just a while ago. So if seat moved back I would move wheel I believe. Hard to believe that might be all it was, but thinking it might be.

• 1 month later...

That makes a lot of sense. I was I-10 the whole time. It felt as the truck would lurch over like a groove in road. It wore me out. Very windy also. I don't feel any play in steering. It sure takes rough I-10 a lot smoother than the dually did. I do need to go get computer dumped and reset. 66 mph. Plenty for towing but not passing. Am I missing something or my truck don't have cruise? It don't have suspension dump.

Did you find your Cruise control? All Detroit's have it . If its not working most times it an easy fix. Does the Jake brake work? If not there tied together.

Pete

event.png

Glenn the cruise not working could be as simple as the brake pedal position. Next time you try to engage the cruise simply hold up the brake pedal with your toe. If the cruise engages you know the problem. A small bungy cord will hold the pedal up until you can get it adjusted.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I tried that. Still no cruise. Cruise light comes on switch. Need to clean it, not too noticeable. Jake light comes on too. Neither work. Know they work together. There is no brake switch, at least electrical (no wires) under dash. All must be one engine side. There is a dull black round "something" at top of pedal inside. No wires. Probably need to start a new topic on this.

Archived