Didn't even get to home

GlennWest

Wow, sorry to hear this. Hope you get fixed and back on the road quickly.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I will. It built air up to 50 rather quock. After a few minutes it jumped up quickly to pull pressure. Hoped something just stuck for a while. Done fine for a while and got park brake on warning? Noticed air pressure down. Later low air message. Downhill from that. Actually blowed thru light but no traffic Thank God. Crept to lot and got help. Bummer way to start out but luckily familiar with town. All will be well. We at daughter and grandchildren home. Good way to end this day

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Has the truck been sitting for a long time? My son is an owner/operator but he only drives his tractor a little since he has another full time job. He says his air stuff sometimes sticks and acts funny when he's getting it all going after it's been down for awhile.

I had some sort of 95 tires (can't remember if they were 285 or 295's) and I switched to 11R22.5. They are a little higher load rating than the ones I had. And they are a bit larger diameter than my old ones. So, it reduced my cruising rpm's nicely. My speedo is off a bit now though.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Truck has 295 75 22.5 tires. They easy to get?

As far as metric, low profile HDT tires are concerned, that's the most common size for North American and Asian brands (Goodyear and Bridgestone brands, for example). Equivalent tires from European brands (Michelin and Continental brands) will be 275/80R22.5 instead. Both sizes are as common as horse apples in tire stores.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Glenn, Good luck with the air issue. I've dealing with air tank issues since fri. Hope to have it completed by tomorrow. It sounds like you picked a good place to break down if a good place really exist. As mentioned work from the cheapest fix on up. As I mentioned before any fix you can fix at home or close to it is a lot cheaper than having to get it fixed on the road away from local friendlies. So good luck. Pat

The Old Sailor

Glen,

Good news, the compressor is relatively cheap and easy to change. $650 or so for the compressor thru any dealer or Fleetline.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Quit building any air. Yes it been sitting. That is why I wasn't concerned when it stopped building air and then started back originally. Really think stuck govenor. It built air fast when it worked

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My experience is that compressors last a long time but like all things they do age and wear......(like geezers) seldom do compressors give high and low pressure cycles.....governors can be a bit fickle but easy to replace and check.......

The Dryer IS a major player in the air system and the dryer purge valve has a nasty job to do so I tend to like to keep the dryer fairly young ....... I spend $$ to buy a quality reman or new dryer........to rebuild the dryer myself is kind of a dirty job and when you do it right the parts and time favors a quality exchange unit or new.....

The part that makes dryer a bit of a headache to trouble shoot is that the purge valve has to allow all of the oily crud out of the dryer and then seal up tight every time.......think about that.....once in a while it's just a fact of odds a bit of crud gets lodged in the purge valve and then you have a leak until the valve is able to purge itself......

It's a ugly job but if you ever take a old dryer apart and see all the gunk and crud inside the dryer you wonder why the dryer still works at all (if it does).....

"Grumps" watched the air Gage's like a hawk for good reason because in the pre-Jake days trucks did not have modern dryers and IF you had a spring brake "shotgun" on a steep curvy logging road could be a life ending event.

Dollytrolley might be fairly ugly but it seems to always have a nice dryer tucked away under the right fender.

Drive on........(Dry clean air is .......good air)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

From the description it could be the air governor or the dryer valves not functioning/sticking. As you said, I'd simply replace the governor, since you will do that as your first maintenance pass anyway. If the truck has been sitting a lot and the dryer is already old that is likely your issue. It is not worth trying to rebuild, generally. Although rebuild kits are available. If it diagnoses to the dryer I'd replace it. If it is just a valve on the dryer and you can free it reliably I'd probably head for home like that, but replacing it is likely in your future and you might just do it now, if the price is right, and the convenience factor is there.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Glen,

Glad it wasn't the compressor! Bet you got off under $200 in parts?

Now time to burn fuel.

Safe travels!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived