New KW HDT...and an issue

S&JTaylor

After having looked around for a while trying to decide what type of HDT to buy, I found bigg-limo's 2000 KW T-600 and bought it. Has everything we need to tow our 5er around, with plenty of capabilty to move into a heavier trailer in the future if we decide to.

Now the issue...I can't get the Texas safety inspection done. No one will do it. The standard inspections stations won't do the inspection because of the air brakes and the commercial places won't do the inspection because it's not a commercial vehicle. My understanding (and i could be wrong) is that HDT's for RV use in Texas only need the standard state safely inspections. Is this wrong? Could any Texas HDT'er weigh in and tell me how they got thier inspections done?

Air brakes have nothing to do with why standard inspection stations will not do it. If they tell you that, they are idiots.

The problem you will have is that if it is not registered as a MH, non commercial stations see it as a commercial vehicle.

If you are NOT registered as a MH the easiest, not cheapest or the most correct, but the easiest way is to simply go get a commercial inspection. Take that inspection and go get it registered as a MH (or truck, however you please) . Next year you will be all set for any inspection station to do it. It's not hard once you are properly registered...any place will do it then.

You also didn't mention where you are in Texas. I can point you to half a dozen places around here that will do it for you now.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The guy I went to for an inspection when I first registered my truck in Texas did a commercial inspection. Even the second time, after my T2000 was registered as a motorhome, he did a commercial inspection. We took the truck north for a thirty-five month work assignment, during which it couldn't have a Texas inspection done at all, but upon my return, I pointed out that the truck was registered as a motorhome, not a truck, and asked if it shouldn't be inspected just like any other motorhome, and he agreed. He's done a car inspection ever since.

Big5er is right. If you can't reason with them and get an inspection station to inspect it according to how it's GOING to be registered, you may have to ante up the extra fifty bucks or so one time and get the commercial inspection just to grease the skids and "git er done". Stand your ground next year, when it's legally registered as a motorhome, and you should be set for every year thereafter.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Thanks for the advice, guys. After taking the day off of work to hopefully get this squared away and being frustrated with the process when I couldn't, I swung into the Chevy dealership 3 minutes away from the house on the way to the store. I talked to a service writer that had a similar situation dealing with their Class A motorhome. She told me that all I would have to do is bring documentation in that states the tractor is non-commercial and they would do the inspection, which I can do. I'll take it in a day or so from now and let you guys know how it went.

If that doesn't work, I'll go the commercial inspection route this year so I can get rolling. Ironically (maybe moronically), I called a commercial place and they told me they couldn't do a commercial inspection because the truck would be used privately.

Big5er, I'm in the San Antonio area. If you have any suggestions, it would be appreciated if my newest hope at success doesn't work out.

I live just North of Houston, my HDT is a 1992 Freightliner FLD120, it's not registered as an RV, it's registered as a private truck. I take it to a local inspection station. They do state inspections as well as DOT inspections. I've had them do the state inspection the last two years with zero issues. I have not had a DOT inspection done, just the regular, $12 (I think) state inspection

I don't know your ability level. But if this is a new to you truck, it may be worthwhile to have a commercial inspection done the first time. This may be a stupid question, but why don't you just tell them "It is going to be commercial" ? I would imagine Tx would accept a more stringent inspection to go private. Good luck, you're gonna' love the ride!

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

S&J, sorry I won't be much help in San Antonio. If you ever get about 4hrs east, to another big city, give me a shout. I'll buy ya a Dr. Pepper :)

2014 smart Fortwo

There's a (or at least was...) great brake & alignment shop on I-35 just northeast of downtown "San Natonio", near Splashtown, "Southwest Brake & Alignment" perhaps. Even if they don't do inspections, they'd be a great place to know and go for ANY sort of tire care.

Last four years inspected at same garage. Registered as private truck under 26k. $14.50. :)

Garage in Austin TX.

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

So great news! The Chevy dealership up the road did the inpection on the KW, so that if finally taken care of. Now for the title and registration. If anyone is in the need of an inspection in the San Antonio area, I would recommend Richardson Chevrolet in Floresville. $7, a few flipped switches and pressed pedals and we were good to go. Thanks for all the advice.

Big 5er, I pulled the old rig out your way fairly often for Reserve duty and will be doing the same with the new one shortly. I'll have to look you up.

Big 5er, I pulled the old rig out your way fairly often for Reserve duty and will be doing the same with the new one shortly. I'll have to look you up.

I look forward to it :) Glad to hear you got the inspection done.

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived