Rear kitchen or not?

Second_Star

Shopping around for a fifth wheel for when I jump off in the not too distant future.

I thought I was sold on a rear kitchen models as the layout I want as it just makes sense to me and I want more counter space than the mid-ship versions. Specifically I've got it down to two models, the Montana High Country 293RK and Keystone Alpine 3470RK. Right up until yesterday.

I was talking to a couple that are full-timing and mentioned that I was leaning rear kitchen and they said that every person they know who has had an RK couldn't wait to get rid of it. He said that side/side and up/down motions are amplified when traveling since the kitchen is so far aft of the axles that dishes and glasses get broken, fridge contents get wrecked, etc. He strongly advised me to stay away from them and go with the mid-galley.

After thinking about it a little, what he says seems to make sense. So now I'm wondering if I should take another long look at mid-ship versions and skip the RK's or continue on with my search.

I could really use some experienced insight.

Lay outs are personal preferences. Everyone likes a different one. So if you like the rear kitchen lay out the best out of the floor plans, then that is the one for you. If we all liked the same thing there would only be our floor plan.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

We have had three fivers, one center kitchen and two rear kitchen and really liked the room and convenience of the rear kitchen ones a lot better.

Some folks see a lot of movement in the rear of a fiver but we never noticed any in ours. Where it comes from can be hard to track down, the trailer suspension or transferred from the truck suspension via the hitch.

Buying a well made fiver with adequate weight ratings for your load and a good suspension design, at least shocks on leaf springs is going to help the ride.

For the truck, again being within the weight ratings and making sure the shocks are working well is important. We had no problems with our Ford pickups and a solid hitch but to be cautious we added an air-ride hitch to our IH MDT, so that is an option if you find you are bouncing.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I've only had one rig with a rear kitchen, but contents shifting weren't ever a 'big' issue. What I didn't like about it was loosing my nice big window in the back (helps combat cabin fever during poor weather) and it was much more difficult getting proper weight distribution front to rear. Then again.. I use actual dishes, cast iron ware, and pack food for several weeks at a time. Brimming cupboards/panty probably didn't help but might not be a concern for you.

I have had two rear kitchen fivers and have loved both of them. I think the people that complain about the bouncing, have smaller, lighter rigs and others may just drive too fast. With decent suspension, including shocks, sensible driving and careful packing, your problems should be minimal.

We had a lighter RK pull trailer and while things did bounce around a little more than a side kitchen it was no big deal. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one if we liked the layout. However, we really like the rear living area with a big window in the back and chairs in the rear of the rv. So just traded in our RK for a RL. But if you like the RK, go for it.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

First off, thanks VERY much for the wonderful insight from everyone!

It sounds like a rear kitchen is fine as long as everything is stowed correctly, the suspension is set up with shocks, etc, and I don't drive like a maniac. That doesn't sound at all unreasonable to me.

Now the idea of losing the big back window is something I hadn't thought about. Both units I referred to above have rear facing windows, but they certainly aren't big. Have to put some thought to that.

Thanks again!

I like the view out of back window myself but we did like some we saw. Just didn't like front room in the middle.

Just my opinion I'm sure you'll like what you'll choose. Go set in one for 2 hours set in every chair visualize. It will help.

Have a great day..

2012 Nuwa Champgne 38CKRD

2012 Dodge Laramie 3500

Full timing since 11/20/2012

event.png

We would not even look at a rig with a big back window, not because it would mean a center kitchen but because we did not want windows that couldn't be easily shaded by awnings. We spent a lot of time boondocking and living on our solar, unless we went far north or very high heat was always an issue and a big window with no sunshade would have been uncomfortable.

We did have the RV built with our comfy chairs on a long slide with our dining table and the slide had a band of 30" high windows, opposite we had a fold-out couch and a very large window to get a view. The rear kitchen had a small sized window over the sink so you could have a view when cooking and cleaning without too much heat gain.

54-couch_zpsthbnkeoz.jpg

56-slide_zps41itvkmj.jpg

57-kitchen_zpstutcjnjx.jpg

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Our 32 ft 5th wheel had a rear kitchen and I looked it. When in travel mode I would place pieces of foam shelf lining between plates. I also would stuff the throw pillows off the couch in the upper cabinets before shutting the door. All I ever broke in 7 years were wine glasses. If you live the layout then go for it.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We have a KZ Stoneridge 36RK that we have towed over 10K miles from Texas to Washington. Wouldn't have anything else.

1. Large kitchen with counter space

2. Don't walk through kitchen to get to living area.

3. Kitchen is up three steps, so dirty dishes aren't as visible

4. Twice as much storage. (Our unit, may very with floor plans)

Good luck and safe travels

A lot of camp host sites are back in, so a large rear window is considered a must have for us. The view is usually the best out the back window. I also like the mid kitchen for bringing in groceries and grabbing a quick beverage from the refrigerator near the door.

Greg

I like the view out of back window myself but we did like some we saw. Just didn't like front room in the middle.

Just my opinion I'm sure you'll like what you'll choose. Go set in one for 2 hours set in every chair visualize. It will help.

Have a great day..

Funny you should mention about sitting inside one for longer than a quick look. A few months ago I went to a large RV dealership and did just that in the 293RK for about an hour. I kept thinking the whole time that if somebody were to walk in and see me, they would think I was nuts or something.

But you know what? It really did help to visualize and get a feel. That's why I'm not all gung-ho on big RV shows anymore, the endless parade of people going through wrecks any chance of visualizing.

We "ditched" the rear window over 4 years ago and got a RK in it's place.

When we had a big rear window we never turned the recliners around and looked out of it! We LOVE the massive counter space and storage cabinets of our RK Montana 3585SA. Ours is 38' and has large opposing slides in the kitchen/living room with LARGE windows in each slide. Our kitchen also has (2) 36 x 18 windows at countertop height in one of the corners which is also where the sink is. We can sit anywhere in the kitchen/living area and see outside in any direction. We are full timers and love our RK. We never have a problem with things moving around as we move from one place to another and don't really have to do any "special" packing.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

The photos Stan Miller posted brought back such memories! We purchased that 5er from Stan, and LOVED it! We didn't miss that big rear window because, as the photos show, there were big windows on both sides of the coach (unlike the one we have now, which has only a kitchen window on the street side). I am one of those who carries lots of food with us, and "real" dishes, etc., and I can attest to the rear kitchen having much more storage and work area. Of course, some of that depends on the layout -- Stan designed that 5er with a very large pantry. Even with a good sized pantry in our New Horizons, and a kitchen island, it doesn't have the storage of that rear kitchen Automate.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

• 1 month later...

Our 32 ft 5th wheel had a rear kitchen and I looked it. When in travel mode I would place pieces of foam shelf lining between plates. I also would stuff the throw pillows off the couch in the upper cabinets before shutting the door. All I ever broke in 7 years were wine glasses. If you live the layout then go for it.

We spent 7 years on our 53' sailboat before going to an RV. We saved the foam peanuts in one gallon ziplock bags and used them in all the cabinets to keep the contents from shifting when healed over 20-25 degrees as a added bonus you can place the in your RV frig as to take up space so your not cooling empty space in the frig. It sure keeps it from working so hard.

Rick

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Archived