Traveling thru Canada to Alaska and back

rving4us

For those that have made this trip answer this please. Can you carry packaged meat bought and wrapped from the grocery store? We have been told different answers. Some say no meat products at all, and others say no hunted meat.

Other than fire arms is there any other restrictions we need to know about?

Thanks,

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

Going into Canada we have never been asked but returning we have been inspected by the USDA people and meat was taken away because it was out of the packaging. They also took away a house plant one time.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Al Florida's last link is the one about food.

Keep in mind though that regulations change constantly so best to look at an update to the site before taking off. Also, there are plenty of grocery stores in Canada, the Yukon and Alaska. We brought a lot of staples, dry goods but kept replenishing the freezer as we went along. Most often they'll just ask you questions about the food. Answer as truthfully as you can. They are not going to enter every RV to check.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Last year the only thing that got taken from our caravan of 23 rigs was chicken cooked or packaged including eggs and fresh fruits and vegetables, canned or frozen were okay. Some of our units put their eggs in the freezer. We made a total of 6 crossings.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

We had both dry and wet dog food confiscated on entry to the USA. This despite it being canned/packaged in the USA. This on the grounds that it contained beef products.

It was a royal pita because our old GSD was on a variety only sold by some vets.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

I'd be inclined to call Canadian Customs at the crossing you plan to use. Previous poster(s) are correct, things change. There were no problems bringing frozen precooked meals with meat to the US from Canada but not sure about returning. I may call CC myself for clarification or eat the meals before returning late April.

Go to Al's link above.

At the border have all your paperwork ready. I printed off the list of prohibited items and check off each as not having each. I had a dog and a shotgun in 99 before they charged to bring a gun through to Alaska. I handed the border guard my driver license, military retiree ID, my dog's certificate of vaccination and health letter from our Vet, the filled out paperwork for the over under shotgun, and my prohibited items checklist. When I told him we had to give away some booze he said that they rarely will ever confiscate personal quantities, but that is a call.

My point? Have all your paperwork ready and hand it to him. I had to go inside to sign the parts of the gun paperwork the border folks completed. I asked if he would like to see it and check the rig and he said no go ahead.

The folks behind me gave the same guy a hard time and had to pull over for a search. We both had the dreaded by rumor Texas plates. But when the guy asked to be sure he told him off for not believing him the first time.

My point? You'll be treated as you present yourself and whether you know what you're doing. It is their country, be a gracious visitor and you'll find the Canadians and their authorities really warm and helpful folks and a lot of fun. Coming back I told the guy at the Canada side that we had proscribed amount of alcohol and cigarettes. (I've quit since, but the Canadian smokes were terrible and expensive) because we bought them cheaper at the Commissary at Eilson AFB in Fairbanks and again at Elmendorf, now joint base Elmendorf/Richardson commissary. We were waved through and got a comedian at the American point of entry at Sums but no problems. That was before 9/11.

Canada is great. WE entered at Roosville after staying at Glacier N.P. waiting for the North to thaw a bit in April. Then did Banff, the Jasper Ice fields and Lake Louise on the way. We entered here: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/list-of-border-crossings/montana/roosville/#.VvBuHmz2YuU

Look up the border crossing you are planning to use for tips about it too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We've done Alaska twice and never had a problem at a border crossing. I just answer all questions either yes or no. I don't elaborate. I keep it short and sweet, and then we're on our way. We crossed at Sweetgrass/Couts in Montana which each time wasn't busy at all.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

When we entered Canada back in 2010 we had 2 shotguns with us that I had all the paperwork for and a small amount of liquor and some California purchased veggies. They took the veggies. Other than that we were good. Friends we were traveling with had lots of fruits and veggies confiscated and I believe their dog food also. On the return trip coming back in from Alaska to Canada the customs agent didn't ask for or look at anything. I told her the permit I had for the guns would expire before I got out of Canada and she just re-stamped it and that was it. Our friends who had all their fruits and veggies taken upon entering Canada threw out probably $500 worth of food prior to leaving Alaska thinking they would get checked again, but they just got waved through. They were not happy!

Now the US Customs agents entering in Alaska and again in the lower 48 were kind of butt heads.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

As far as calling ahead to the crossing of your choice, beware, things change in a heartbeat. Our Canadian friends here in Yuma sometimes call the port of entry a few days before getting there and usually find things have changed. In May of 2014 when we crossed at Couts/Sweetgrass on I-15 the only thing they asked about were GUNS. The guard even said "between you having Texas plates and the passport showing place of birth in Pennsylvania made him ask. It was really a piece of cake. Going from the Yukon back into the US between Whitehorse, YK. and Skagway AK. the agent was rather abrasive. Of course most of the folks that work in Skagway during the tourist season do grocery runs to Whitehorse.

one of the issues with food is that if you are like us, you actually cross back and forth between the two countries several times along the way, so it isn't practical to not carry ANY of the potential problem foods.

Also there aren't grocery stores on every corner so we tried to keep the fridge full.

We did have one tomato taken. The guy felt bad, and that crossing was the onky one that even Asked about tomatoes.

Sue

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived