Question About the Potty!

coachmac9

Last night, out of the blue, the toilet (Thetford) filled up to the top and ran over a little before we noticed it. Thankfully we were there and no damage occurred but the strange part is it hasn't happened again and I couldn't make it happen even though a flushed it many, many times. Tried everything I could think of to make it continue to run like barely opening the foot control and barely closing it...works like a charm...as a safety measure I cut the water off going to the toilet when we went to bed and when we left this morning. I definitely don't want to keep doing that or have a major mess either! I assume that the foot pedal is connected to the flap that opens and shuts and triggers the water to come on and off by a cable of some kind inside the toilet. Is that the way it operates and is there an adjustment of some kind??? The previous owners replaced it in 2014 so it is fairly new with little wear and tear...any suggestions ?

We had a Thetford Arial Classic for several years and had to replace the water valve 3 or 4 times for the same problem you experienced. This happened to 3 of our RV friends also. It's possible a small piece of dirt was caught in the water valve so it didn't close and allowed water to fill the bowl. It's possible the water valve is starting to fail. There were no adjustments for our toilet model. I suggest you carry a spare water valve (we had other spare toilet parts too) like we did and learn how to replace it. We also had cables break (twice) , the foot pedal brake (twice) all over a 7 year period until we finally got tired of it and replaced it with a similar Sealand/Dometic toilet two years ago, No problems in 2 1/2 years !!!! Great. Yea!!! Greg

Here's a link to Thetford's toilets and parts, you'll need it!

http://www.thetford.com/products/toilets/rv-toilets/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

WE had the same issue. We learned to put your toe under the pedal and lift slightly to make sure the water turned off after two floods. This worked better than replacing the valve and parts a couple of times a year.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We have had two instances over 4+ years where the valve on our Thetford toilet did not close completely, resulting in a tiny trickle of water continuing into the bowl. In one case it did overflow and in the other we caught it. I've found that keeping the cable clean and lubricated helps to valve to close more easily. I've put a "Leak Frog" water detector underneath the toilet to give us a head's up in case this happens again in the future. And we try to look down into the toilet after a flush to make sure that there is no trickle.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

WE had the same issue. We learned to put your toe under the pedal and lift slightly to make sure the water turned off after two floods. This worked better than replacing the valve and parts a couple of times a year.

Ken

X2.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Part of the question is, which Thetford model toilet do you have? They don't all use the same parts and that is also true for all foot-pedal models. They can be rebuilt and some models also have adjustments. Parts for most Thetford models are readily available. We replaced ours after 11 years of use, rather than to rebuild it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Strange, our Thetford, foot pedal model was in our motorhome when we bought it at 10 yrs old. We have had it 6 yrs now and full-timed for 5 yrs. So, lots and lots of use. We have not had any problem at all. Maybe it depends on what model you have. Or, maybe the older ones were better?

Pat DeJong

Aren't Thetford toilets made by the same company that makes NoCold rv fridges?

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

We had the same problem a couple weeks a go. We were in the living room and walked up the steps to find the bathroom and hallway flooded. What a mess. Problem was the water pressure in the RV park was so low it wouldn't close the valve all the way after a flush. We filled up the water tank and used the 12 volt pump until the park replaced the outside water spigot. Once the pressure returned we didn't have any more issues. One thing we've always done, if we leave the RV for a couple hours or more, we always turn off the water at the outside spigot just in case.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

jerryneal......Our old Thetford had a "Water Valve Return Spring" that closed the valve. I replaced it at least once when the water valve was replaced. I don't think water pressure was used to close the valve, yours could be different. I'd keep a close eye on the toilet after flushing it. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Archived