New hdt owner in need of help

Yotaonrocks

Your truck will be worth more in an RV application than selling it into the commercial market. It may take a little longer to sell it as an RV - you can't just take it to a dealer and walk away with cash - but it will always be worth more in the RV marketplace. Something to consider if you are modifying things.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys it's been a while since I posted but I've been lurking. Had some family emergencies last year that brought working on the truck to a halt.

I'm back at it now and after a talk with Henry at ET Hitch today I think I've figured out my hitch. Anybody on the fence about a hitch should give Henry a call. Super nice and knowledgeable guy.

I am about to install my inverter and have a few things I'd like to run by y'all.

First is I'm planning to run 4/0 from batteries to xantrex 1800hf inverter with a 250amp fuse on positive cable.

Second I plan to add a 30amp plug on exterior of sleeper and run wires straight from that to the ac in slots on the inverter.

Then I plan to run wires from the ac out slots of the inverter to a small breaker panel. I will then run wiring to plugs in the sleeper from the breaker panel. The first plug will be to a gfci outlet.

I plan to plug a generator into the 30 amp plug in sleeper when shore power is not available.

Have I missed anything or am I way off on my plans? Thanks for the help guys.

Here is how I did mine:

Shore Power Generator --> 2 Breaker Box

| | |

| | |

30 A Transfer Switch <-------------------| |--------> 30 A RV plug (to power 5er)

|

|

30 A Hardwired EMS

|

|

Inverter/Charger

|

|

2 Breaker Panel

|--------> Truck Outlets

|--------> Currently Unused (Maybe sleeper A/C if we decide on one)

My inverter/charger has a built in transfer switch. I am assuming yours does too with both A/C in and out slots. If not I would move the location of the inverter. I would add a 2nd transfer switch between the shore power and current transfer switch. On the new switch shore feeds one side and the inverter the other side with the output then feeding the original transfer switch.

I prefer the transfer switches over the manual method of unplugging/plugging cords. Too much room for error with cords. Plus since my inverter is always on the truck cab never loses power as power sources change. A decent cheap 30A transfer switch should be available for under $100.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

My inverter does have a built in transfer switch. I would only be using a generator to run the truck on 1 trip a year. I don't even plan to mount the generator on the truck. Just planning to throw it in the truck for that one trip. That's why I thought the easiest way was to just plug it into the 30amp rv plug I put in the side of the sleeper for the shore power inlet. The toy hauler has its own generator so no need to send any power to it.

My inverter does have a built in transfer switch. I would only be using a generator to run the truck on 1 trip a year. I don't even plan to mount the generator on the truck. Just planning to throw it in the truck for that one trip. That's why I thought the easiest way was to just plug it into the 30amp rv plug I put in the side of the sleeper for the shore power inlet. The toy hauler has its own generator so no need to send any power to it.

Your method is fine. That is the way I would do it too.......

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Nice truck for sure. And your right on everyone wanting that truck for commercial use. AS they would not have to run electronic logs with it. But on a lot of stuff I have read. Not sure after you tag it for Private use or is it RV use. That it can't be swapped back to commercial? Not sure on that , but I know of 2 that were bought. That had been swapped to RV or tagged as a motor home. And one of them in the end was trashed. Guy used engine and stuff in a different truck. Because for some reason it could not be turned back into commercial use.

Pete

event.png

• 4 weeks later...

My parents live in Winston and my sister lived in Kernersville before she moved to Winston as well. How's the truck working out for you? I'm planning on a Pete 379 as well, I'm looking forward to hearing how yours is coming along. I'm currently overseas but will be back this summer, maybe if you're around I can stop by and take a look!

Archived