Going to California

ruthanns1

Morning Everyone, we have a question about going to California this summer, is there anything we need to know about taking our rig

there. We are not sure if there are any special reg. or restrictions for our HDT like having to stop at weigh stations and such.

Any info we can get would be great so we can plan for it.

Thank Chip

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

Chip,

We made the trip last year and had a great time. Treat CA. the same as any other state, don't do anything blatantly stupid and you should have no problems.

We did not stop at any weigh stations along the way. The one thing I will tell you is that the speed limit while towing ANYTHING is 55 and they will ticket you for speeding. No personal experience but the class A that was parked next to us in a park got a ticket for over 55.

Enjoy the trip, stay safe and you should not have any problems.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

We, too, did a trip into CA to San Francisco and then to Yosemite last year. Don't bring any live plants with you as they check at the first agricultural stop. The only encounter with the CHP was a good one. The officer pulled along side us and, on his loud speaker, told us a strap on one of the wheels on the Smart was loose. I gave him a thumbs up and pulled off to fix it. Somewhere I did encounter a post that said as long as you are towing an RV you are exempt from the new emission standards. Bob-tailing you are not. Someone else might be able to confirm.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Lived in CA all my life, been driving semis here 35 years

And my "HDT RV" for the last 10 years.

Like stated watch your speed ?up to 60mph your ok. Also all vehicles towing must stay in the right 2 lanes at all times. If your anywhere around LA or Riverside county stay in the far right lane except to pass, CHP will at least wave a finger at you.

If your an RV drive on past the scales. If not ??? Your ca.

Enjoy your stay, we have a great state to visit, just a pain to live in??

The above information is correct. Stay out of the weigh stations, watch your speed and you will be fine. What has not been mentioned is technically the max length in CA for any non commercial rig towing a trailer is 65 feet. If you are a little over, you shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't get stopped for something else. Even then, the officer would probably have to be commercially trained to think about an over length citation.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We are in Ca now since December. We have been here before. We are at least 75 ft long. As an rv we don't stop at scales. Speed limit towing is 55 but pace yourself a little slower than the trucks you will be fine. We have not been stopped in this state. This trip we didn't have to stop at the point of entry. We came from Palm Springs, over Tahachapi and up 99. They have done a lot of resurfacing on 99. We will probably go back the same way the beginning of April. We are at West Capitol Rv park if you need a place to stay around sacramemto. Where are you headed?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

For general travel it's nothing special.. except for the traffic and speed limits previously mentioned, but if you happen to be gun owners be very careful. They have some pretty wonky laws and many (especially handguns) that are legal anywhere else in the country may be illegal in CA.

I generally avoid CA unless absolutely necessary.

For general travel it's nothing special.. except for the traffic and speed limits previously mentioned, but if you happen to be gun owners be very careful. They have some pretty wonky laws and many (especially handguns) that are legal anywhere else in the country may be illegal in CA.

Keep the guns in your RV and don't worry about it. While on the subject.

We do have a lot of indoor shooting ranges for both long gun and hand guns, But not very many open areas.

Enjoy your stay like I said earlier. It's a GREAT state to visit and vacation, just living here is a pain at times?

Handguns: The sky is *not* falling.

However,, no open carry, guns secured - ammo separate, your "other state" CCW is no good in CA.

Other than that - been legally packing in CA for about 50 years - with no problems.

AS BH stated - go with the flow on the "55" - in some areas you will be tailgated and passed by tractor-trailers who normally run about 62+.

The CHP has lots more important things to do on the highways/freeways - EXCEPT for some remote (rural) areas where speed is more closely enforced.

Scales - only "inspection station" will be the Ag Insp when entering CA..

Don't bring plants, fruit, vegs - and you'll be good to go.

Yarome - thanks for "avoiding". Makes more fun places available for the natives, LOL!..

~.

Yarome - thanks for "avoiding". Makes more fun places available for the natives, LOL!..

Happy to oblige. ;)

You can have it! I got hit with a $650 fine because I was stupid enough to declare a vintage 45 long colt because it "could" chamber a .410 shotgun shell.

Once is enough. :P

Hey thanks guys, we will be going to Santee our son lives there and we will be there for about two months. He's going to help use do some work on the truck.

He has a big shop with welder and plasma cutter going to be great to do some work with our son.

Chip

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

When it comes to guns, it is safer to leave them in the rv. If they are a long gun and have a removable magazine, a bullet button is necessary. No magazines over 10 rounds. The gun must be on the approved list and be comfigured appropriately for that list. Most of mine are not on that list, even the newer ones and I don't want to invest in a lot of new magazines. There are exceptions to these rules but some municipalities have their own rules. People have been jailed and prosecuted even though their firearm was compliant. It all depends on the da. Safer to leave them inside. I get my fun fix by pouring and reloading while I am here.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Wow, I guess my career of choice had an advantage after all. So glad I don't have to worry about what their state law says about my concealed handgun.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Wow, I guess my career of choice had an advantage after all. So glad I don't have to worry about what their state law says about my concealed handgun.

I don't worry about their state laws either, concealed means concealed. Been carrying since the early '70's and will continue to do so despite efforts to the contrary as I am responsible for my families safety. I think you can appreciate the old adage that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Handguns: The sky is *not* falling.

However,, no open carry, guns secured - ammo separate, your "other state" CCW is no good in CA.

Other than that - been legally packing in CA for about 50 years - with no problems.

AS BH stated - go with the flow on the "55" - in some areas you will be tailgated and passed by tractor-trailers who normally run about 62+.

The CHP has lots more important things to do on the highways/freeways - EXCEPT for some remote (rural) areas where speed is more closely enforced.

Scales - only "inspection station" will be the Ag Insp when entering CA..

Don't bring plants, fruit, vegs - and you'll be good to go.

~.

You're correct about AG Inspection Stations...an Inspector rand-sacked our RV because we stated we had a small bag of Oranges that we bought in NM, the bag said Produce of CA. He confiscated them, slammed our door then released us. As for guns...I'd rather go through Canada with my long guns than risk taking them to CA, just saying. I have know desire to drive into CA, even though I was born and raised there.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Another thing to remember at the "AG"stations is no firewood.... along with your fruits and veggies.

And just so ya know... I been inspected many times pulling my trailer, no big deal except for the time wasted. Every time the inspector has been respectful and professional. Just doing their job.

Another thing to remember at the "AG"stations is no firewood.... along with your fruits and veggies.

And just so ya know... I been inspected many times pulling my trailer, no big deal except for the time wasted. Every time the inspector has been respectful and professional. Just doing their job.

But did you declare you bought Calif Oranges from a different State? Just kidding and believe you but there can be the one bad apple in the bunch. ;) it's best not to carry anything organic or guns into California.

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Chip don't worry about any guns it's all good we all seemed to have got side tracked a bit here. And yes eat your fruit before you get here, their Just trying to help protect our farmers from some bug issues coming in from out of state.

If your in fact headed for Santee, shoot me a PM when you get here. I'm in Ramona just 30 minutes away

Charlie

We had a great time in CA with the rig. Drove bobtail as well. No one even looked at it sideways. No scales as well. AG insp and Border patrol check points were a 2 sec stop and go. A lot of fuss about nothing as far as I'm concerned. Have a nice trip and enjoy.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I have been in/out of CA several times with the HDT. Never had any issues. I treat it just like any other state. The 55mph is the big one. Never been asked about guns and never provided any information.

My last trip in to CA I was unable to get out of the far right lane (idiot to my left kept speeding up/slowing down as I did) so I went thru the truck lane at the A/G inspection station. I never even came to a full stop before I was waived thru. Now my first trip to CA I was in the RV lane and the inspector started ripping on me about a simi in the RV lane until I pointed to the trailer. Never apologized or anything and I even admitted we had some fresh veggies in the fridge. All I was asked if they were purchased from a supermarket or not. I said yes and was allowed to proceed.

Been over the Grapevine twice and Donner once. Avoid the far right lane unless you want to be stuck behind another truck that is only able to do 20~25mph on the grade. I have also been in the 3rd lane from the right to pass slower vehicles and not had any issues. Even been passed by a few trucks in the 4th from right lane when I am in the 3rd.

I have stayed at Santee Lakes several times, I have an office in El Cajon. Not too bad getting in/out of. The sites are close and most are too short for you to stay connected. With the trucks turning radius and setback hitch it has not been an issue navigating thru. Most sites are pull thru, at an angle and wide enough that I have been able to park the truck, trailer, jeep and a visitor and still be able to sit outside under the awning and everything being inside the boundaries of the site.

Enjoy the trip!

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Come on folks ..... Just remember what all folks from Oregon say before we cross the South border..... "Ok, here we go....into a foreign country".........

So what would you do to your HDT RV before you took at run thru France, Germany, Uganda, Russia, and.......Italy (good food), then just hitch up and go to California in spite of the place......remember they still make a lot of wine so don,t let the other "whine" scare you away .......it's just a foreign country.....

Drive on.........( enjoy the.....wine)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Come on folks ..... Just remember what all folks from Oregon say before we cross the South border..... "Ok, here we go....into a foreign country".........

So what would you do to your HDT RV before you took at run thru France, Germany, Uganda, Russia, and.......Italy (good food), then just hitch up and go to California in spite of the place......remember they still make a lot of wine so don,t let the other "whine" scare you away .......it's just a foreign country.....

Drive on.........( enjoy the.....wine)

True words....BTW Has anyone made the trip to Kings Canyon or Yosemite NP's with their HDT?

In Oct 2014, we could not get real close to the Yosemite NP so we stayed at the Sierra Meadows Country Club. Probably had 50 open RV sites. We were there with 4 other RVs. Extremely quiet. Big pull throughs. Deer came into the park every day. Nice trails for walks. It was 45 minutes to either park entrance. Recommend going after school starts to avoid major traffic jams. Start with Glacier Point for the most spectacular views. Smart car went up and down the mountains without any problems.

Sierra Meadows Country Club
46516 Opah Drive
Ahwahnee, CA 93601
Phone: (559) 642-1343

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Archived