TOOLS

Dejae

I carried a basic household tool kit in a pink tool bag and a credit card since there's not much I would tackle myself. When I was in school girls did NOT take shop. Your mileage would, obviously, be different which is why I can really help much. I guess if I had skills I would go through the RV and figure out what tools might actually be helpful in it. Some pretty cool tools just wouldn't be helpful in maintaining an RV. I did use my pliers, ratcheting screwdriver, and measuring tape.

Linda Sand

ps. One of the things I learned in minimizing is that it helps to decide what to take rather than what to leave. Get it all out and visible then sort into categories. That will help keep you from bringing duplicates. Yes, I am aware that a slot-head screwdriver, a phillips screw driver, a stubby one, and a skinny one are not duplicates but you don't need two of any of those.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I agree with sandsys. Just a simple set of basic tools. I travel all over with a van full of tools to work on trucks and it boils down to a few simple tools that I use 95% of the time. Philips head and straight blade screw driver, vise grips,needle nose and channel lock pliers,cresent wrench and a utility knife.

I buy the special stuff as need arises.

And no I don't use duct tape to repair trucks.

I wouldn't travel without my small 110V wire welder. Today after a 200 mile run we discovered our fifth wheel 3 step had a broken pivot pin causing the step to sag. I used the welder to weld a washer on the end of the pin and a shot of black paint, done in 15 min. The CG we are staying at for the night never knew what happened.

Greg

1. Only bring the tools that you know how to use.

2. Try to take tools that serve more than 1 purpose. It saves weight and space.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I wouldn't travel without my small 110V wire welder.

I do believe that I have clearly been topped! I used to be different because I traveled with my scroll saw but I'd say that you are the first I've heard of who carries a welder. That might be a good subject for a new thread so I do believe that I will start one!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1. Only bring the tools that you know how to use.

The exception to this might be a tool unique to your rig that someone else might know how to use. Lots of volunteer helpers in the RV world but they might not own the tool needed in your case. I, personally, can't imagine what that tool would be, though. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I pulled out my tool box I have used for twenty plus years in my pop up.

Multi bladed screw driver, couple of pliers, electrical tester, utility knife, 2-crescent wrenches, the proper size wrench for my ball on the hitch, the socket wrench for my trailer lug nuts, wire connectors, electrical tape and a hatchet/hammer.

I do have a couple special tools for the repair of my propane system but I have been in the propane business for 38 years and I don't believe it is safe for people to attempt repairs on propane systems unless they are properly trained.

I'm sure when I full time I might carry a couple more but these have always got me thru!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this tool yet, but since I full time by myself I carry a small vice to hold things that I need to cut or work on. The vice is bolted to a small board and the board gets clamped to the trailer steps when needed. I also carry C clamps and other clamping devices that can hold various shapes that I might need to cut. I boondock a lot so sometimes there's no one around to give me a hand.
theboondork

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com

Don't know if these have been mentioned, but along with my tools I carry disposable mechanics gloves and a pair of coveralls. Gloves also come in handy at the dump station.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived