TOOLS

Dejae

I know somewhere at one time I saw someone post a list of tools and equipment they recommended for taking along for full timers in a motorhome. For the life of me I can't find it

Anyone remember it or have suggestions?

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

Here is mine: Hope it helps

Surge Protector

RV Electrical Adaptor (different amps at different parks)

Water Y adaptor w/extra washers

Thread seal tape

Universal Waste Tank Adaptors with extra hose

Sewer hose supports

Water Pressure Regulator Adaptors

Water Thief universal adaptor

In line water filter from hook-up water

Equip and Supply just like a 2nd home. Sheets, linens, kitchen supply

Battery cut off information and maintenance

Plastic leveler pads

Extension Cord

Jumper Cables

Tool Kit

Duct and Electrical Tape

Clear elbow connector for black water tank. Ensures visual cleaning

Air pump for tires

Extra white water hose

RV Toilet Brush

Spare Fuses

Shower Shammy

Small electric heater. Use free electric versus your own propane

First Aid Kit

RV Vacuum “Stark Brand” won’t blow fuses 6.5 amps

Step tread mat

Ponchos

Slide out lube and sealant

RV Wax

Tire Covers

Indoor/Outdoor Mat for front porch

Table Top Grill

Outdoor Chairs and Table

Dedicated Tank Flush Hose

Tools

Reading Glasses

2 small tables

Step Latter

I am not a full timer, but I do believe in Murphy. I promise you that you will not have the tool you need when you need it. There is no way you can carry everything that "might" be needed. Stiltner's list is pretty good. I find that knowing the location of the nearest Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware is pretty high on the list of needed information.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I am a firm believer that Murphy, was an optimist.

I have wrenches, nut drivers, screwdrivers... for every fastener in our trailer and most for the TV

Wire strippers, wire, terminals (I use a lot of Anderson Power Poles) small torch with solder...

An AC DC clamp meter with probes

Spare fuses

Tester for the seven prong trailer connector

Hose clamps, washers for water fill hoses and water filters, We have three water filters, water pump to pull from streams and lakes.

Tool lists are often discussed here but the most important thing to remember is that you should only carry tools that you will actually use. A reasonably good multi-meter is a really important tool to have but only if you make sure that you know how to use it before the need arises. It isn't difficult to learn at your leisure, but when it is needed is not the time to start. Mechanic type of tools can be important but since they are heavy be very careful in selection what to take. I always carried quite a few woodworking tools because that is a hobby of mine and I used them regularly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I always have a little different perspective on this. I think half the fun of RVing is figuring out what I need next. I can spend hours or days exploring the next best tool or gizmo. Get the basics and then just go for it. Unless you will be a 100 miles from civilization you can always find somewhere to get what you just have to have next! The fun of RVing and full-timing is just letting things unroll as they go along...no hurry; there is always tomorrow.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Carry as many as you can. Know what your rig needs and bring it. But I guess it depends if you do your maintenance and repairs or not. I have a tool box and large tote in my basement full of tools.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what I consider a must have....................Duct tape!!!

Stiltner, on 01 Mar 2016 - 3:49 PM, said :

Here is mine: Hope it helps

Si........................t

Duct and Electrical Tape

C..........................r

;)

Goes around , comes around .

A flannel backed table cloth. Throw it on the ground plastic side down to protect you from anything there whether it is fluid or sticky. The flannel side will keep it from sticking to you when you are ready to get up. Throw it in the washing machine after use, if needed, then drape over a camp chair to dry. Might as well be as comfortable as you can while tackling otherwise nasty chores.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

A flannel backed table cloth. Throw it on the ground plastic side down to protect you from anything there whether it is fluid or sticky. The flannel side will keep it from sticking to you when you are ready to get up. Throw it in the washing machine after use, if needed, then drape over a camp chair to dry. Might as well be as comfortable as you can while tackling otherwise nasty chores.

Linda Sand

A plastic tarp works pretty good , too .

Goes around , comes around .

Ok, being the tool thing doesn't seem to be getting anywhere...lol other than take what you think you need! I get it

Then how about another post I saw awhile ago about something that you put on the ground around the perimeter of the RV to keep just about any bug or critter away. Any good feedback on that please?

Blessed Travels,

Then how about another post I saw awhile ago about something that you put on the ground around the perimeter of the RV to keep just about any bug or critter away.

There are things like boric acid that can help to stop ants and other crawling things but those have limited lifespan and rain will wash it away. We really never had much of a problem when we were fulltime, in most areas. I'd agree with Pet& Pat that Home Defense spray seems to be a good product and to last longer than most sprays. In fact, I use it around the foundation of our home-base as well. If you are parked on a concrete pad you can use it around each wheel and on the hose and power cords where they are suspended in the air. I don't like to use sprays on the RV or chassis. We also always carry one of the ant bait products to use where they are present. With any of these products you do need to follow all of the directions, especially if you have pets with you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ok, being the tool thing doesn't seem to be getting anywhere...lol other than take what you think you need! I get it

Then how about another post I saw awhile ago about something that you put on the ground around the perimeter of the RV to keep just about any bug or critter away. Any good feedback on that please?

I dont understand your comment about the suggestions and help that some have given as "doesnt seem to be getting anywhere"

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

There are lots of the favorite tool lists around, but I rarely see on them one of my favorite tools.

A laser thermometer - Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=laser+thermometer

They used to have a tiny pocket one for ~~$10 that was very accurate and convenient.

When I stop, I do a quick walk-around taking the temperature of all the tires (even duals) and hubs all without crawling around on the ground or even bending over. Any lube, dragging break or air pressure problem shows right up.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Some of that builders tie wire that is used on formwork ,it is very mallable and very handy.

years ago a roll of it sort of fell in to the passenger side of a concrete truck I was driving on a large construction site and I have been using bits of it ever since.

Also a few lengths of hay bale twine are very usefull.

mick

I am finding that I am forced to carry only those tools that I am able to use. When I started fulltiming in '97 I could and did fix anything I needed to fix. Now..not so much. The body does what the body does and is becoming a real pain.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

• 2 weeks later...

I dont understand your comment about the suggestions and help that some have given as "doesnt seem to be getting anywhere"

It wasn't meant in a mean way it was because I didn't seem to be able to get what I was actually looking for across.

I wanted to know about tools. As in toolbox full of tools. I will say alot of things mentioned here have been noted in my personal loggings...but I was looking at what DH should put together as a needed toolbox, we know screwdrivers, duct tape, electrical tape. Stuff like that but he has 3 of those big tool boxes full of tools and we were trying to decide on what to keep out that we need to travel with so we could sell the rest.

Blessed Travels,

I carry an 8 drawer tool box and it is full but I still find tools I wish I had. At home I have a large workshop and I still find there are tools I don't have. My suggestion is to take what you are likely to use. If you find a tool that is commonly needed add it and maybe consider removing a tool that isn't used. Sometimes the size and weight of a tool leads me to believe it just isn't worth carrying. Ones interest and capabilities also influence the tools one may be willing to carry.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I carry a Craftsman top box with the basic set in it. Metric and standard sockets, short and deep well, wrenches up to 1" / 20mm, assortment of screwdrivers, wiring pliers / crimps, ball peen hammer, small 4lb sledge/persuader, then some tools that are specific to certain jobs. Impact sockets with extension just for the trailer lugs, with torque wrench in their easy to retrieve spot, filter wrenches for the Volvo filters, extra square head drivers for all the trailer screws, and my favorite socket- the big freakin' one that fits the NeverLube bearing hubs. Also a set of jack stands, 3-ton jack, and a small selection of air tools that I couldn't part with. I also have an electric 1/2 Dewalt impact that stays on the truck with a 50' cord. Helps changing tires easy... mine or others. Most of the big stuff on the truck is hired out if 1/2" sockets with a cheater pipe doesn't work.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived