If your forums are acting strangely (29 Feb 16)

skp51443

There were some glitches over the weekend (Feb 27-28) that appear to have been fixed but you may still find things not working exactly right for you. If that happens close all but one tab/window that is showing the forums, log out and log back in. In most cases that should get things back to normal. If it doesn't you can try deleting any forum cookies but it usually isn't necessary.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

You weren't clear in the original post as to what the problem is, but I'm still getting periodic "no data received" error messages. Logging out and in does seem to resolve the problem but it doesn't stay resolved and it does reoccur. FWIW I'm using Chrome 64-bit.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The glitches were related to the SQL server, more possible glitches/symptoms than I'm willing to spend time typing out and I'd likely miss a few anyway. Much faster to log out/in and then if needed delete a few (I have 9) forum cookies and see if that fixes things.

You can find more info on the forum software, problems and solutions if you follow the IP Board link in the bottom right of each page, not something of interest to most folks.

---------------

Nothing I've seen from the problems here would result in a "no data" error, that sounds more like lost packets on your network connection.

I can tell you that I definitely get the "no data" message if I try to click on the "star" icon that designates a thread I have participated in. However, if I click on the title of the thread things appear to be Ok.

The problem is quite repeatable and I'm sure it has nothing to do with "lost packets" or my network connection.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

What happens if you try another web browser on the problem computer or different computer but using the same connection?

I just went through all my unread posts using the dot or star to open them and no problems using Chrome under Linux but the forum treats that a bit different than what you may be using.

I also use the star or dot to the left of the topic heading without a problem. I'm using IE11 on a Windows 8.1 computer (or, sometimes, on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 android phone).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

What happens if you try another web browser on the problem computer or different computer but using the same connection?

I have tested this on both of our laptops the the same outcome. And I've tested it with Microsoft Edge (the Windows 10 IE) and the result is also the same. If I click on either the star or circle icons we get a "no data" or "can't display" error message. If I click on the thread text it displays normally. I have no idea what's causing it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Can you get to another Internet connection (like Starbucks or McDonald's) and try it from there? If it is on all your systems it is likely something in your common connection and not on every computer.

I switched to the campground's wifi instead of my hotspot and there was no change. When I first go to the forum I have to log out and then log in again, as you mentioned earlier. Once logged in I can click on the thread titles but not on the circle and star icons in front of them????

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I'm out of ideas, the forum issues were cookie related so most were cured by the log out and back in. Rarely, that would leave a problem behind and require a manual rvnetwork cookie deletion. There was nothing wrong with the server except it was not connecting to the database and as a result setting potentially confusing (to the forum software) cookies. The confusing cookies just disrupted things like the dot / star method of opening posts or the "view new / unread" operations. In every case I've seen deleting the confusing cookies fixed the forum SQL server disconnection created confusion so at this point you are seeing something beyond what I'm familiar with.

I don't know if calling Escapees and asking for assistance from the computer crew would help or not, in the past they have given the same advice that I did above. If you do call and find a fix please come back and post it here to help the next person that hits the problem.

I can tell you that I definitely get the "no data" message if I try to click on the "star" icon that designates a thread I have participated in. However, if I click on the title of the thread things appear to be Ok.

The problem is quite repeatable and I'm sure it has nothing to do with "lost packets" or my network connection.

I've been seeing the same behavior as is Docj when clicking on the "Go to last post" bullet/star using Edge, IE 11, and Firefox. It will also happen if, from the rvnetwork.com home page, I click on the title of the most recent thread in any forum. Logging out and back in does not resolve the problem.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I've been seeing the same behavior as is Docj when clicking on the "Go to last post" bullet/star using Edge, IE 11, and Firefox. It will also happen if, from the rvnetwork.com home page, I click on the title of the most recent thread in any forum. Logging out and back in does not resolve the problem.

At least I'm not alone; I figured someone else had to have the same issues.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Phil, did you delete the rvnetwork cookies?

If you did and are still seeing the problem you might report this topic and ask James to look into it.

If you did and are still seeing the problem you might report this topic and ask James to look into it.

I did delete the cookies with no effect. The fact that it's a cross-browser problem made it less likely that deletion of cookies would resolve it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

No, I didn't bother with cookie deletion. I don't typically view the Forums in Edge or Firefox (I've had rvnetwork.com pinned to my taskbar in IE since long before the Win 10 upgrade, and last I checked Edge doesn't yet support that feature, so IE is my "default" browser for the Forums), yet I observed the same abnormal behavior in the other two when I used them as a test, so it's clearly not cookie-related, since I'd probably never used Edge for access until that time, and if I'd ever used Firefox previously the existing cookies would have been old, and from a time when the Forums were behaving normally.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 4 weeks later...

For the record, this nearly month-long bizarre behavior cleared up this weekend just as mysteriously as it began, as has happened in the past. No changes here on my part, i.e. cookie deletion, etc..

I first noticed it today, when I clicked on a "most recent post" bullet out of habit and it worked instead of failed to load a page, but I didn't try it yesterday, so I can't say for certain when the change occurred.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

ET Air Hitch

For the record, this nearly month-long bizarre behavior cleared up this weekend just as mysteriously as it began, as has happened in the past. No changes here on my part, i.e. cookie deletion, etc..

I first noticed it today, when I clicked on a "most recent post" bullet out of habit and it worked instead of failed to load a page, but I didn't try it yesterday, so I can't say for certain when the change occurred.

Yup, mine seem to get better in exactly the same timeframe. No doubt, no one who manages the software end of the forum will admit to having fixed anything, but I sure didn't make any changes.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived