Name 3 Please

freestoneangler

My research currently has me focusing on Winnebago Journey/Itasca Meridian, Monaco Dynasty (several models like the York), and Beaver. They seem to offer the best bang for the dollar and we like the bed arrangement in-line with the coach (as opposed to in a slide-out).

You have $70,000 budgeted for a used DP. Please name the 3 makes/models you would be looking for and why.

What's more fun than helping someone else spend money on RV stuff? :lol:

I would look for Newmar, Tiffin, or Winnebago because they sell in a price range that you don't have to go nearly as old as you would for those I rate higher quality and those three all have excellent reputations for support.

If you don't mind getting up in age and have no problems with orphaned RVs, then I would add in the Travel Supreme, Country Coach, and the Bluebird. If you go way out there consider the top coach builders, Newell, Marathon, and Pervost.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Foretravel, an older one, will have a huge number of bells and whistles and since they are still in business, some backup if you need help. We have an Alpine and like it, but sometimes finding parts can be a problem. Same with Travel Supreme and Country Coach.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Add Holiday Rambler to the list. For that kind of money you should be able to get a really nice USED coach. They are out there, just keep looking! IMHO best choices & prices are in Arizona & Texas where there are TONS of used rigs. Bought ours on Craigslist in Phoenix during the $4.00+ per gal era a few years back when everyone was upset about high fuel prices.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

You can't go cant go wrong with a well cared for Dynasty or other Upper level Monaco. And while "Monaco Coach" may be out of business its not orphaned. We call for tech support all the time when we need it and get just exactly what we need.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

"You have $70,000 budgeted for a used DP"

----

No matter to which DPs you limit your focus/search, you might want to set some of that amount aside for repairs, replacements, and upgrades; unless you're very lucky, it's highly likely that any rig you find will require an outlay of cash beyond the purchase price, e.g., new tires.

Rosita has some good advice. You will be buying a USED coach, and there will be things that need replacing. Some of those are because they are nearly worn out, expired, or broken, and some will be because you simply want something different. As soon as you buy your coach be sure to join FMCA, if only for the tire discount. Tires can be $800 or more EACH, and if you have a tag axle coach you are looking at eight tires. An FMCA membership can cut that bill significantly.

That said, a coach with new tires will be worth more than the same one with old tires. Remember that the tires will age out before they wear out. Check the date codes.

I'd stick to brands that are still in production, unless there is an EXCELLENT owners forum. My personal preference is for a coach that uses the air bags to level, rather than hydraulic jacks.

Check out http://motorhomesoftexas.com/ for some current prices. I notice that they have a Beaver for about half the price of a Foretravel of the same age.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1. Foretravel U320

2. slightly newer Foretravel U295

3. even newer Foretravel U270

They are all the same chassis/build. The U320 gets you AquaHot and bigger engine/beefier transmission and some nicer interior bits standard. The U295 is a slight step down, AquaHot is going to be an option. U270 will generally have oak rather than walnut or cherry cabinets and might not have fully ducted a/c, depending on the year, but it's still a Foretravel.

Oh, and then hire Brett Wolfe to do the inspection if he's available in the area/timeframe. I would say Brett has forgotten more than most of us know about our coaches, but I don't think Brett forgets anything and he REALLY knows coaches, especially Foretravels.

Michelle

We set aside 10% of the purchase price of our used coach in a repair/upgrade/maintenance fund and add to it every month. Some years it has a huge surplus, others (like when putting new shoes on her - in Oregon, no sales tax) there isn't much left at the end of the year. But we always have funds to upgrade or repair on OUR schedule with what we want.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Rosita has some good advice. You will be buying a USED coach, and there will be things that need replacing. Some of those are because they are nearly worn out, expired, or broken, and some will be because you simply want something different. As soon as you buy your coach be sure to join FMCA, if only for the tire discount. Tires can be $800 or more EACH, and if you have a tag axle coach you are looking at eight tires. An FMCA membership can cut that bill significantly.

That said, a coach with new tires will be worth more than the same one with old tires. Remember that the tires will age out before they wear out. Check the date codes.

I'd stick to brands that are still in production, unless there is an EXCELLENT owners forum. My personal preference is for a coach that uses the air bags to level, rather than hydraulic jacks.

Check out http://motorhomesoftexas.com/ for some current prices. I notice that they have a Beaver for about half the price of a Foretravel of the same age.

Great website... with all the searching I've done, I can't believe I don't have that one linked. The Windsor sure likes a peach. I should have mentioned in my initial post that I'd prefer to find a 36' unit.

Great points on the budget. I'd like to spend less if I can find the right coach. I've just established that maximum price point because it feels right to me.

Alpine

Beaver - Patriot Thunder and Marquis

Country Coach - Allure, Intrigue, Magna

Foretravel

Newmar - Dutch Star and Mountain Aire

Monaco - Dynasty and Executive (And equivalent Holiday Rambler. In the later years, the Beavers blended in ac GM like of these too.)

Rexhall

Travel Supreme

Wanderlodge

You said list 3, and you could pick between any three of these:)!

I'm a fan of bigger block CAT/Cummin/Detroit engines, as they loaf along and frequently provide the same or better MPG then the Mid Block (C7/C9 or ISC/ISL - Detroit is all BIG BLOCK). They provide you with more power and torque when needed. And they also provide higher braking horsepower via 2 or 3 Stage Jake Compression (Or Foretravel with the Allison Retarder Transmission.) The extra power, and higher braking HP provide a safety edge. And, these big block engines are usually found in the higher up the food chain quality wise coaches. But even a mid size block engine, be sure to do the math on the power to weight ratio, validating adequate numbers for the job.

Happy hunting:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Great website... with all the searching I've done, I can't believe I don't have that one linked. The Windsor sure likes a peach. I should have mentioned in my initial post that I'd prefer to find a 36' unit.

Great points on the budget. I'd like to spend less if I can find the right coach. I've just established that maximum price point because it feels right to me.

And these are some of the nicest, most helpful folks you will ever run across at a dealership. Before we bought our RV we used to stop by there and look, dream and talk to them on a regular basis. They were more than happy to show us the RV's they had in stock and the differences in craftsmanship to look for in whatever RV we decided to buy. Absolutely zero pressure to buy!

Alpine

Beaver - Patriot Thunder and Marquis

Country Coach - Allure, Intrigue, Magna

Foretravel

Newmar - Dutch Star and Mountain Aire

Monaco - Dynasty and Executive (And equivalent Holiday Rambler. In the later years, the Beavers blended in ac GM like of these too.)

Rexhall

Travel Supreme

Wanderlodge

You said list 3, and you could pick between any three of these:)!

I'm a fan of bigger block CAT/Cummin/Detroit engines, as they loaf along and frequently provide the same or better MPG then the Mid Block (C7/C9 or ISC/ISL - Detroit is all BIG BLOCK). They provide you with more power and torque when needed. And they also provide higher braking horsepower via 2 or 3 Stage Jake Compression (Or Foretravel with the Allison Retarder Transmission.) The extra power, and higher braking HP provide a safety edge. And, these big block engines are usually found in the higher up the food chain quality wise coaches. But even a mid size block engine, be sure to do the math on the power to weight ratio, validating adequate numbers for the job.

Happy hunting:)!

Smitty

That's a nice list. I've seen a few Alpine's listed, but never really considered them. MHOT has some very nice looking coaches... the ForeTravel U235 looks like a oldie but goodie. They appear to be the kind of outfit that really goes through these with a fine tooth comb and is there for support after the sale.

Interesting comments on the power plants... yet another factor/consideration that I was unaware of.

Thanks

Archived