*%$#^*ing trees.................

mr. cob

Dang it Dave, here I was worried about my friends that are in Pensacola, FL and this happens to you right here in my back yard. :( Really soorry to here about it and hope you can get it fixed RIGHT in time to hit the road for your planned trips.

Joe

Howdy Joe,

Hope your friends are OK, thanks for your concern. Chuck will do a great job on the repairing the roof I am sure will be better then when it left the factory and yes I am looking forward to this summers travels.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch! Make sure the Happi-Jack still moves as it's supposed too. The force of the limb thru the roof and embedded as it was might have put stress on the lift motors and locks

Howdy Jim,

I have run the bunk up and down about ten times, everything seems to work fine, I think the mattress took most of the force.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave sorry to hear about your mishap.

Brad

Howdy Brad,

Stuff, happens I guess, thanks for your concern.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, ouch! I'm feeling that pain all the over here! Fight for you rights brother!

Howdy HERO Maker,

The pain now is dealing with the insurance company and you bet if I need to I will fight those buggers.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I would make this your ins company's problem.. That's why YOU pay for ins. It's not your job to assess fault - full or partial. Your company should make you whole and you subrogate to your company any claim there may be against the neighbor's company. Then your ins. company can determine if they wish to fight with the other ins. company and if so, for how much. Not your concern. And you can and should insist on the fix being done in a manner that satisfies you. Not sure if your acknowledgement to your neighbors over the span of years that their tree was a potential hazard helps or harms you. It certainly puts your neighbors on notice that there is liability but it also acknowledges that there was knowledge on your part of a hazard and that you did nothing about it. That really doesn't affect YOUR ins. company's OBLIGATION to you to make your property whole. The fight, if there is one, between ins companies, is theirs, not yours and you should care less about the result of that fight. Your policy does not obligate you to fight and compromise with someone else's ins.

Howdy avan,

I understand what your saying, I'll wait and see what the neighbors insurance company says, his insurance company has already looked at the photos and videos I posted a link to, they have already accepted liability. If need be, I will run this through my insurance company but if I do, I'll have to pay the deductible $500.00 and will have a claim against my insurance that may cause a rate change in the future. I pay for insurance to cover my butt if I screw up, my neighbor does the same and this should be on him.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Sorry to hear about this Dave. I hope everything comes to a satisfactory resolution for you.

Howdy Chad,

Thanks for your concern, I'll just have to wait and see how this plays out and react accordingly.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I don't believe this claim will affect your rates. You are not at fault. I had an accident and my insurance paid out over $250,000. I was not at fault. Four months later they lowered my rates at renewal time.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I don't believe this claim will affect your rates. You are not at fault. I had an accident and my insurance paid out over $250,000. I was not at fault. Four months later they lowered my rates at renewal time.

Howdy Ronbo,

Like I said earlier, if I have to I'll run this through my insurance company but I don't feel its their job to pay for someone elses negligence, if it were a tree on my property that I had failed to keep trimmed or removed and incurred a lose because of my lack of the proper action then I could see asking my insurance company to pay the bill as I am paying to protect myself and others against my own actions. At this point I'll have to wait and see how this progresses and then make whatever decision benefits me the most.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I agree. I have run claims through in insurance just to get it fixed. It isn't right but sometimes it is necessary. I had one insurance co tell me and my insurance "yes, our driver is at fault but we aren't going to pay". They ended up paying my deductible, my court costs and my diminished value claim. Them my insurance co kicked it back to them to get paid.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Dave....Sorry to hear about the damage to you rig! I had a tree fall on my RV a couple of years ago the punctured the rubber roof and broke the cover on the AC but didn't go right through like yours. It was put through my insurance (State Farm) and was just over 12K to replace. Since it was sitting in my friends yard where I store it at no charge I didn't even think of asking him about his insurance. They never even mentioned patching it. They also marked it as no fault so no increase in insurance rates. It did cost me the deductible and $600.00 for a new Stihl chain saw which my friend and I used to cut down any tree that was at the end of its life span in the direct vicinity of my rig. Make sure it is repaired back to the way it was before the tree landed on it.

I agree. I have run claims through in insurance just to get it fixed. It isn't right but sometimes it is necessary. I had one insurance co tell me and my insurance "yes, our driver is at fault but we aren't going to pay". They ended up paying my deductible, my court costs and my diminished value claim. Them my insurance co kicked it back to them to get paid.

Howdy Ron,

That sounds like something I hope to avoid.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave....Sorry to hear about the damage to you rig! I had a tree fall on my RV a couple of years ago the punctured the rubber roof and broke the cover on the AC but didn't go right through like yours. It was put through my insurance (State Farm) and was just over 12K to replace. Since it was sitting in my friends yard where I store it at no charge I didn't even think of asking him about his insurance. They never even mentioned patching it. They also marked it as no fault so no increase in insurance rates. It did cost me the deductible and $600.00 for a new Stihl chain saw which my friend and I used to cut down any tree that was at the end of its life span in the direct vicinity of my rig. Make sure it is repaired back to the way it was before the tree landed on it.

Howdy Rick,

Thanks for your input, it cost ME nearly $9,000.00 out of my own pocket because I was to darn dumb at the time to realize BEFORE I bought it that the old toy hauler I had just gotten 'such a deal on' was in fact a piece of junk that I in good conscience couldn't sell to someone else and with out being repaired I couldn't use.

The old trailer was only 36 feet long, had one air conditioner and one fan vent in the roof, the new one has three air conditioners and three fan vents and is 45 feet long so I can understand the much higher repair cost. I keep my trees trimmed as best I can or hire someone to do the the stuff I don't want to mess with, being a "Cob" ( Crabby ole bastard ), I expect others to do the same.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Sorry to hear about your rig Dave. There has been a lot of tree falling stuff around here lately. Hope all goes well and you make Moab.

Howdy tyates007,

Thanks for your concern. Yup we live in an area that is known for huge trees and storms, I remember back when I was working and had to drive the back roads in the area we live in I always carried a chain saw just so I and others could clear the roads enough to get to work. Sometimes around here if the locals don't clear the roads it may be a day or two before the county got around to it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That is terrible luck.....wait did you say Moab in April? That's where I would like to go too!

Wishing you the best with your situation

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

That is terrible luck.....wait did you say Moab in April? That's where I would like to go too!

Wishing you the best with your situation

Howdy jtr,

Well I guess it could have been much worse, I am trying to look on the bright side of this situation. Yup, going again to Moab this will make the ninth year of attending this rally, always a great time in some of the most beautiful country on the planet.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

There are a couple of things that come to mind here.

You should hire your own insurance adjuster, preferably one expert in RV claims, not one provided by either insurance company in this matter. He will fight for you, his client and he knows the tricks they might pull.

No matter what, get the repairs done to your satisfaction, even if you have to borrow money to do so, and if needed sue them for the difference of their settlement. Something tells me when the neighbors insurance company is contacted by your adjuster, they will fold and pay the claim properly. I think the law is clear in this case, checking with an attorney to be sure would help.

And keep singing that damn jingle to yourself: We are Farmers dum da dum da dum dum dum.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

There are a couple of things that come to mind here.

You should hire your own insurance adjuster, preferably one expert in RV claims, not one provided by either insurance company in this matter. He will fight for you, his client and he knows the tricks they might pull.

No matter what, get the repairs done to your satisfaction, even if you have to borrow money to do so, and if needed sue them for the difference of their settlement. Something tells me when the neighbors insurance company is contacted by your adjuster, they will fold and pay the claim properly. I think the law is clear in this case, checking with an attorney to be sure would help.

And keep singing that damn jingle to yourself: We are Farmers dum da dum da dum dum dum.

Howdy Jeff,

All good points to ponder, now I have that darn Farmers jingle stuck in my head............ :wacko:

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Like I said earlier, if I have to I'll run this through my insurance company but I don't feel its their job to pay for someone elses negligence

Dave,

If your policy has uninsured/under insured coverage, this is what it is there for. Don't be afraid to use it if you have to. Again that is what it is there for.

For the insurance company, everything is a calculated risk. If your repair estimate is reasonable and from a creditable shop, I doubt you will have any issues. If they do bark at the estimate get a few more estimates and see where other shops fall in relation to the cost of the repair. The insurance company is going to weigh the cost of the repair vs the cost of fighting the claim. Fighting the claim involves the potential of being sued (Court/Legal Fees/Judgement). They are also calculating that if they deny you and you file on our insurance, that your insurance company will go after them for reimbursement. It is all part of the calculated risk.

I use to sit on City Council. The city, with over 300 employees and a small fleet of vehicles, would on occasion receive insurance claims for various things. The city was not self insured, the city was insured thru the municipal league which is basically a pool of cities. On many cases we would see a claim paid or settled when it was not justified but the calculated risk was it was the cheapest route. It always got under my skin when I thought of it from a "principals" point of view but when the business (calculated risk) point of view was examined, I understood why it would happened the way it did.

I know waiting on an answer/resolution is nerve racking. The unknown is never fun, especially when you are not the one at fault. In the end, I think you will be made whole with out any issues.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Dave,

If your policy has uninsured/under insured coverage, this is what it is there for. Don't be afraid to use it if you have to. Again that is what it is there for.

For the insurance company, everything is a calculated risk. If your repair estimate is reasonable and from a creditable shop, I doubt you will have any issues. If they do bark at the estimate get a few more estimates and see where other shops fall in relation to the cost of the repair. The insurance company is going to weigh the cost of the repair vs the cost of fighting the claim. Fighting the claim involves the potential of being sued (Court/Legal Fees/Judgement). They are also calculating that if they deny you and you file on our insurance, that your insurance company will go after them for reimbursement. It is all part of the calculated risk.

I use to sit on City Council. The city, with over 300 employees and a small fleet of vehicles, would on occasion receive insurance claims for various things. The city was not self insured, the city was insured thru the municipal league which is basically a pool of cities. On many cases we would see a claim paid or settled when it was not justified but the calculated risk was it was the cheapest route. It always got under my skin when I thought of it from a "principals" point of view but when the business (calculated risk) point of view was examined, I understood why it would happened the way it did.

I know waiting on an answer/resolution is nerve racking. The unknown is never fun, especially when you are not the one at fault. In the end, I think you will be made whole with out any issues.

Howdy Rick,

Thanks for your post, I understand the whole calculated risk thing, I fully realize as the old time gangsters used to say when they shot somebody, "nothing personal just business" still it irks me when this plays out. If I was to run this through one of the big RV dealers in the area I quite sure the estimate would be for more money and I know the quality of the repair would not measure up to what Chuck a one man shop who has been in the business for over 30 years has and will deliver to me. Here in the Peoples Republik of Washington, we are only required to provide ONE estimate but if Farmers insurance bulks at this and wants another estimate I'll drag the trailer over to one of the big dealers and get another estimate from them. Getting this done at a big dealership would also take months and I have plans made, reservations paid; going with Chuck he has told me to hold off on canceling any reservations as he is sure he can complete the repair in order for me to spend the summer we have planed.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

(IMO)

A consultation with an attorney of your choice, (not part of the insurance cos involved), at your expense - would be worthwhile..

Current and future liability issues due to the tree.

On edit - no way should you have repairs performed (by anyone) prior to a settlement!

Even if you take the trlr "as is" on your trip with a supply of plastic and racer tape for very temp patching.

(IMO)

A consultation with an attorney of your choice, (not part of the insurance cos involved), at your expense - would be worthwhile..

Current and future liability issues due to the tree.

On edit - no way should you have repairs performed (by anyone) prior to a settlement!

Even if you take the trlr "as is" on your trip with a supply of plastic and racer tape for very temp patching.

Howdy Pappy Yokum,

Thanks for your input, the more I think about it, I agree with you folks who have advised NOT starting the repair until the dust settles.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy All,

Today I got the news I was hoping for, after trying to deal with farmers insurance, the company that my neighbor is using, and failing completely to arrive at what to me was an acceptable solution I turned to my insurance company "Blue Sky" who again stepped up and took care of this mess. farmers wouldn't even send out an appraiser to look at the trailer, they just based their offer on the photos that I sent to them which really didn't show the full extent of the damage.

The repair shop I chose to do the work came to my home and did an extensive investigation of the damage and gave an estimate of darn near $18,000.00 to do a proper repair which included replacing the entire roof. When that estimate was submitted to farmers they offered and held the line at paying only $11,000.00 its then that I turned to Blue Sky. Blue Sky, sent and appraiser to evaluate the damage, he submitted a report that agreed with my repair shops estimate, I got the word just an hour ago that Blue Sky, will be paying the full estimated cost of the repair.

Folks I am telling you that I like everyone else HATES paying for insurance but I will also tell you that in all the years I have paid insurance on cars, trucks, bikes, houses and now RV's, I have NEVER been served or taken care of the way Blue Sky, has served my needs and paid up when things have gone wrong. A year and a half ago they paid for the entire rear of my truck to be repaired "properly" when an unlicensed, uninsured, high on something, punk drove off of the road into my friends yard and crashed into my truck, and now they stepped up when my neighbors insurance company tried to rip me off. In my opinion if your looking to insure your RV I strongly recommend at least giving Blue Sky, an honest investigation, I am as the old saying goes, a very happy camper.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That is great to hear about Blue Sky taking care of you. While I hope I never have to use them, I have them for my truck and 5er as well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

That is great to hear about Blue Sky taking care of you. While I hope I never have to use them, I have them for my truck and 5er as well.

Howdy Chad,

Yes, it sure has taken a load off my mind to know that this is being taken care of. I took the trailer into the shop yesterday so with luck it will be repaired and ready to go before my first scheduled trip of the year, the plan is to head to Moab Utah on April 14th to attend the annual Ural Rally.

The shop I chose to do this repair I have dealt with in the past, a one man shop which does exceptional, quality work, Chuck is going to be busting his butt to get me back on the road so I can attend the Ural Rally but I can trust that he won't take any short cuts and will put a roof on the trailer BETTER then what it came with from the factory.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived