winter location for avoiding respiratory allergies

curlydoc

I have been diagnosed as having allergies to something in the Gulf air. This is the second winter spent along the Gulf coast and afflicted with so called Texas crud. Pulmonologist suggested wintering elsewhere. Anyone have any suggestions for good wintering campgrounds for someone with respiratory allergies?

We also know of folks acquiring lung problems when staying along the Gulf. They switched to Arizona with no problems. However, keep in mind that any area of the country will probably affect allergies in some way. You can't escape growing plants. Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Our stick & mortar home is just South of Tucson. When we first moved here nearly 20 years ago the pollen count scale only went to 10. BUT about 10 years ago as the pollen count rose the scale was increased to 12. Sadly the count as hovered around 8-9 all winter. Worst allergy season I have experienced, have been on my meds all winter. Currently Juniper & Ash are the big contributors. Here is the site I use to monitor our local pollen count, https://www.pollen.com/forecast/extended/pollen/85741

Spent the month of Dec just South of Mazatlan, Mexico and was surprised to find ragweed in full pollen bloom so did not get the relief I was hoping for from the trip. Good luck and looking forward to post about other possible locations.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Doctors used to recommend Arizona or New Mexico because there was so little pollen, mold, and pollution there. However, people started moving in and planting lawns and non-desert plants, so the pollen levels has risen in cities in those states. In addition, the bigger cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix tend to have problems with pollution because they are in bowls surrounded by mountains so all the pollution in the air hangs over the cities. I am near Phoenix right now and you can see the yellow haze over the city.

In any case, there are lots of places that are relatively free of pollen and pollution, but they are away from the larger cities, so you might try looking for smaller towns away from the crowds.

You can check pollen counts on weather.com, by the way, for most places.

It has been a long winter here in the Phoenix area as the temperatures have been above normal. So the plants are giving pollen in return. The urgent care and other Doctors have told us this an extreme year for sinus problems. A friend had a problem with asthma a few years ago and finally moved to small town USA at the edge of the world (as the big city people often relate especially on Sat night). His problems cleared up.

So where is live is what you can put up with; Pollen and pollution, Hurricanes, Earthquakes. Tornado, Flooding, Drought, Ice and snow,etc your choice.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Aside from spending your time in a clean room (or maybe Antarctica), I honestly am not sure you could find an "allergy free" area anywhere. We have found (while living in many places around the world) that there is always going to be something you are allergic to, to one degree or another. The best thing I would think you could do would be to have some allergy testing to find out what specific thing(s) you are allergic to and then get a medication that is targeted for those things.

My two cents.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

My S.O.has the same problem. So, after 9 years in th RGV, we have spent this winter at Hidden Valley Ranch RV Resort in Deming, NM. Prices comparable to RGV, but Mexican food not as good! I am glad to report that respiratory problems are not present. So, we will see how it goes as spring arrives.

Doctors used to recommend Arizona or New Mexico because there was so little pollen, mold, and pollution there. However, people started moving in and planting lawns and non-desert plants, so the pollen levels has risen in cities in those states. In addition, the bigger cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix tend to have problems with pollution because they are in bowls surrounded by mountains so all the pollution in the air hangs over the cities. I am near Phoenix right now and you can see the yellow haze over the city.

In any case, there are lots of places that are relatively free of pollen and pollution, but they are away from the larger cities, so you might try looking for smaller towns away from the crowds.

You can check pollen counts on weather.com, by the way, for most places.

An old high school friend says the same thing. She also said when in growing season, she could not go outdoors until after noon because the crop dusters made outdoor breathing difficult.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I would second the suggestion for getting tested. Then you can find the fauna and flora that works best with your body. Also, hugging the Oregon coast or the Florida east coast would be my suggestion. I got along well with the evergreens in Oregon and the sea breezes off the ocean didn't carry as much tree and grass pollen as being inland. We live on the West coast of Florida on a salt water canal and I'm having lots of trouble. We have lots of grasses and mangroves. It might be better on the Atlantic side. With testing information you can make a better selection and then give it a try.

Lady Sailor
2006 Montana Fifth Wheel, 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
Husband Extraordinaire and Tater & Mattie the sweet Chihuahuas.
"If not now, when?"

In Arizona we found my allergies did not like what they were spraying on the cotton fields around Casa Grande or the veggies in Yuma so we ended up in places like the Sierra Vista - Benson - Tombstone area or Quartzsite for the most part. We spent some time in Douglas and Gila Bend with no problems but far less than the other areas so we might have missed something.

New Mexico we liked the Deming - Silver City - Las Cruces area and Columbus (south of Deming) during cold weather while the northern part of the state was nice once it was warmer.

If you don't rent a space for the season you can easily move if you hit something that is bothering you.

Getting tested is probably good but the tests are quite limited, I've had both the basic tests and several extended series trying to identify all of my allergies and I'm quite sure we missed several things, agricultural stuff being one of the big misses. Several varieties of grass, several trees, cats and most weeds were easy finds but there is no test series that finds everything. Still knowing as much as possible is a great help in planning your travels to avoid problems, we carefully planned each spring to avoid any area that cottonwood trees were shedding fuzz, that stuff, my worst sensitivity, bothers me severely no matter what pills or sprays I take so avoiding is the only option.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Life experience is probably better than the tests IMO. My DW was tested and they told her she was not allergic to anything they tested. They either didn't test for very many things or the tests failed. Her allergies are not bad but some trees bother her. Maybe more. I am allergic to some grasses when pollinating and probably more. The dust in some areas of AZ can bother me some so we look for areas that are more rock than fine soil. Overall our allergies are minimal and usually don't bother us in AZ.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived