A little help please.... VA

cdlaine

My son , recently honorably discharged from U.S. Army is navigating the maze to see if he is

eligible for VA disability for documented shoulder impingement , documented knee damage, and

documented hearing loss (Infantry). He is utilizing the VA here in the Phoenix metroplex. (yes, that one).

All his evaluation "appointments" have been outsourced to civilian care providers. That causes me

concern , as it is my experience that they (civilian sector) lack the understanding of the appropriate

noun-verb-nouns to ensure he gets whatever he is entitled to receive. But, I may not understand

current procedure.

Any advice , recommendations , or "watch - out - fors" are appreciated. He has maintained excellent

record keeping (and copies) of his medical records. My biggest concern is his "accepting"

whatever they (civilian) say as Gospel.

Thank you in advance.

Charles

Seems to be a fairly common practice, they do the same thing up here in the PNW.(Seattle area) Several friends have been through the process and have had nothing but good luck with it. Generally the Dr's have told them they are going to get them everything they are entitled to. I just recently went through it for Hearing loss and couldn't be happier with how things were handled.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Since he is in Arizona contact these folks fast and get together with an adviser before you say anything (the VA will record your conversations and use them against you) or touch pen to paper.

https://dvs.az.gov/about

I could give you my five year horror story if you need convincing but avoid having your own to tell by getting with these folks who can help you avoid saying the wrong thing and ending your hopes of getting help.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks for the reassurance Joe. I haven't used the VA in 30 years so my frame of reference

is very outdated. Son has developed Tinnitus with high frequency hearing loss.... only took four

years in the field.... as he has a perfect audiology exam at entrance physical. We noticed by the

frequent use of "what ?"...in every conversation. He was unaware.

We hope he gets the care to which he is entitled. Phoenix VA has taken some hard knocks.

edit...thank you Stanley... have forwarded your response and link. Appreciated. We need to get him

out of the mindset that his issues are somehow "minor" .... minor at 23 turns major at 40.

Charles

You are so right, something minor today is going to be very different as you get older and if it isn't "properly" documented and confirmed ASAP on leaving the service the higher the chance that the VA will start trying to tell you it isn't service connected and refuse coverage.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I didn't go to VA, but went through DAV and had them file all the paperwork for me. This approach was actually recommended by a person that works in the local VA Medical Facility.

Joe

Joe

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Thanks Joe... will pass on the rec. .... we do not own membership tho' . I let him check it out.

Charles

DAV here does this for free. They even track what the VA is doing and can get answers on what's happening faster than the Veteran can. Might check with the local VFW, that is where our local DAV office is. Staffed by volunteers that are well trained in the paperwork needed. Good Luck

Joe

Joe

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

The DAV is a good option and the only one in many states but since they are in Arizona the state agency is a better option in my opinion.

The DAV is a good option and the only one in many states but since they are in Arizona the state agency is a better option in my opinion.

Thanks Stan, I was only referring to my experience here in Washington.

Joe

Joe

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

The important thing is to get the VA to document his active duty conditions and injuries into his VA file as "Service Related" whether compensated or not.

I am "paid" for three items and have about ten more items that are service related and not paid yet. Paid does not mean paid for me. It just means they take it our of my retirement pay then make that amount paid via the VA tax free.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Charlie

The best advice I could give your son is to go into the VA with the right attitude. That is not to say he should role over and play dead or take everything told to him as set in stone but to remember that this is a benefit not a right. He was not born with it. It is a benefit that his country gives him for his service. In 23 years of dealing with the VA since my retirement I have never ever had a bad experience with the VA. They have treated me like gold at that 3 different VA Hospitals. The VA is filled with mostly great people who more than anything want to do right by our vets however like the rest of society there are those folks that are just trying to game the system both in and out of the VA.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

YW Tell him to keep reapplying using the state agency Stan mentioned as well as the others mentioned. They represent the vet against the VA, not the other way around. https://dvs.az.gov

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived