2016 West Coast Rally - Caldwell Idaho

MrSeas

I Just made reservations. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Have a good trip in.

We are just now leaving Phoenix heading north, it will be a slow trip, lots of stops and enjoying spring along the way. We will be spending some of the summer in Yakima but will also be spending several weeks in Idaho. As well as on the west coast.

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just made reservations! This will be my first majors trip with my Volvo (Bought tyates007 truck). Will be great to meet the group.

Rob

Rob,

It will be great to see you and the Volvo again. Let me know what your travel plans are. We may be able to travel together if you would like.

Dropped the truck off for its annual service today and to get a once over before our long, circuitous route to the WCR. My AC also quit so that is getting fixed as well. We are getting excited to head out for a long (for us working folks anyway) trip and ending up at the rally.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

As of today we have 11 confirmed with a few still "sitting" on the fence!

I am also putting together a "list" of topics / presentations that you might be interested in.

So far I have........

Solar / lithium batteries.

A/C to D/C Inverter installation in trailer / truck.

Spare parts to carry.

Special tools for the HDT.

Airlines and fittings.

Jackalopee / terminal blocks / wiring.

Lights / wiring testers for truck / trailer.

TPMS.

Volvo lighting.

Scott

I am also putting together a "list" of topics / presentations that you might be interested in.

So far I have........

Spare parts to carry.

Airlines and fittings.

TPMS.

Volvo lighting.

Scott

Howdy Scott,

Sounds like a lot of great information is going to be shared, its a darn shame I can't make this shindig. Have FUN all'ya'all

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I'm still thinking on it. It will only be 5 weeks after my return from 4 months and over 9k miles in the rig and Smart car to Florida and other locations. If I'm not too burned out, I'll come.

As it is, I have to divert from my more direct route home from the NO area to Trailersaver in Western Kentucky to have my hitch checked out.

Some days I can drive all day, no problem, others, I'm bagged in 200 miles.

Right now there is still the weather to contend with.

If I decide to go at the 11th hr and there are no spots, don't worry about it. You held one for me last year and I backed out.

So far I have........

Spare parts to carry.

Airlines and fittings.

TPMS.

Volvo lighting.

Scott

Scott - Very nice job. I am still sitting on the fence, waiting for some work commitments to be resolved. This Rally sounds bigger and better than the first one.

Dave,

Sorry, I messed up on the dates of the rally for this year.

Hope to see you next year!

Roger,

Wow, lots of miles under your tires.... Still hope you can come on by....

Jim,

Hope the work thing works out and you get to see some

of Idaho with us!

The topics are of some interest, except the Lithium Batteries. By my own admission, I'm no gearhead, it doesn't interest me. However learning about these topics may provide enough knowledge to be able to limp home or to safety rather than being marooned in the middle of Nowhersville to be picked over by vultures. The old Life on wheels used to have a 1 hr dissertation on various topics so a person would have an idea how the particular system worked.

- Swapping out my Max brake for another system

- Swapping out headlights

- Swapping out the 7 pin RV plug with the EZ connector.

All the parts would be ordered in advance and shipped to Caldwell, all of us do the same with Habitat's various locations so I hope that would be OK with the Campground.

I'm not after anyone to do the work, I'm prepared to do it if guidance is close by.

I'd like a backup camera system but that seems like a monster job.

There is work to do on the truck, trailer & car after my return. Body work on the drivers side air dam on the corner plus the center pce where we were attacked by a low flying American grouse which gave its all judging by all the flying feathers.

Roger,

All of the items you would like to work on can be

completed at the rally.

Headlight are an easy swap out even if you are adding

the "Dixon" HID upgrade kit. The upgraded LED fog lights is a easy swap out. I have done both on mine and can give you a hand.

What are you planning on using as a replacement for your Max Brake? Some should be a matter of just swapping the old for the new with slight modifications.

EZ Connector is another one of those very simple swap outs that can turn a bit complex based on different situations.

I know we will have the expertise to get you headed in the right direction. I am pretty sure you will have lots of folks to "assist" you with your projects.

Scott

I know we will have the expertise to get you headed in the right direction. I am pretty sure you will have lots of folks to "assist" you with your projects.

I'm always willing to lend a hand. I have four plus pages typed out of modifications I have done to my fifth wheel and another couple pages of mods on the truck. (I like to keep track of everything so I know what I can't live without in the next rig. ;) ). I've also done quite a few things to friends and neighbors rigs. My DW is always shaking her head at me when I start a new project. :).

None of the ones you listed are terribly difficult. I have actually done all of them previously (except the Volvo headlights, since I have a Kenworth).

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

We just got back last night from a 2000 mile round trip with the T2000. Hope your AC is a much simpler fix than mine was when I sent her in for the annual inspection a few weeks ago. Travel safe, have fun and we will see you in Idaho

What was the problem with your AC? I recharged mine late last year and it worked decently for a while again, but then it stopped blowing cold again completely. Hopefully it isn't anything too major.

event.png    

What was the problem with your AC? I recharged mine late last year and it worked decently for a while again, but then it stopped blowing cold again completely. Hopefully it isn't anything too major.

My whole system was shot, literally. Turned the my blend doors were cracked and broken. Replaced all that. Then the compressor went up in smoke while it was being tested after recharge. Then a new dryer. Then a new, then a new and pretty soon it was a new system. Long story short I have $2500 in brand new parts to keep the truck cool. Hope that solves my intermittent cooling problem for quite a few years. It looked like the previous owner had taken the hvac box under the hood out without it being in defrost mode. That caused a lot of broken parts. I was able to get through last year with just a recharge but decided to actually fix it this year.

Roger,

All of the items you would like to work on can be

completed at the rally.

Headlight are an easy swap out even if you are adding

the "Dixon" HID upgrade kit.

I have the led kit installed, but it still doesn't reach further down the road...3 dots. The lenses are foggy and have already been polished once. So out they go. I have tried reaching up and around to work on it myself but both my wrists will flex only 20 degrees up and 22 down from horizontal. It infuriates me, also the rt thumb tip still doesn't work, surgery failed so fusing is the next step. You saw the pic of my thumb post surgery.

As Stan mentioned I'd want to angle the lites up but not enough to blind oncoming traffic and in to the curb a bit. This was done yrs ago with my Dodge 4x4 and 100 watt off road bulbs and it worked fine.

The upgraded LED fog lights is a easy swap out. I have done both on mine and can give you a hand.

My rig doesn't have fog or running lites just holes in the bumper. If the wiring etc is there and there is a significant improvement, I'd consider them.

What are you planning on using as a replacement for your Max Brake? Some should be a matter of just swapping the old for the new with slight modifications.

The same one Gregg at RV Haulers shows on his Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drimq7JRWY

The Max brake is a PITA, it is situated under the dash below my knee and th screen is not easily seen. There are other issues with it but won't go into them at this time.

EZ Connector is another one of those very simple swap outs that can turn a bit complex based on different situations.

Someone made reference to a connector with more pins and am wondering if they would be suitable for camera connections or would it be better to have them on a separate connector.

Scott

Lets see how things stand by mid to late next week.

Thanks

Roger,

On the headlight "upgrade" are you using the "HID" bulbs from David Dixon or are you using a LED replacement bulb ...big difference.

If you have decided on the DirecLink brake controller make sure you order it with the "Frieghtliner" kit for 9 pin.

Scout out some locations around your dash where you might mount the controller.

Will your hands be able to actuate the controller?

As far as the 14 pin EZ Connector is concerned its your call....just remember we only have a few days for the rally.

David's HID

Maybe 7 pin rv plug would be simpler for now. Is that what should be ordered?

Hands can do most things, jut not reach around corners. I have dropsies with the right hand 'cus I am not able to depress thumb tip to grasp things. I can only squeeze with the first joint, not the tip.

What the heck, count me in. no sense pussyfooting around with this. Just wake me if I'm on snooze control as I drive by the campground.

The rig will be going in for some work so I'll use that opportunity to get some of this done. I don't want to be working on my truck the whole time. Nor I'm sure do others.

Just to confirm, it is the 7 pin EZ connector I want...is that correct?

I also need to backtrack the source of replacement headlights for an '09 730.

Not sure about the fog or running lites. If it is plug and play fine but there are no switches in the dash for running lites.

What am I looking for. Also what do the cost? And from whom?

R

The rig will be going in for some work so I'll use that opportunity to get some of this done. I don't want to be working on my truck the whole time. Nor I'm sure do others.

Just to confirm, it is the 7 pin EZ connector I want...is that correct? Yes that is the one for the trailer connection only no cameras!

I also need to backtrack the source of replacement headlights for an '09 730.

Advantage Truck Parts has some of the best prices on lighting.

http://www.advantagetruckparts.com/lighting-volvo/

Not sure about the fog or running lites. If it is plug and play fine but there are no switches in the dash for running lites.

I'm not sure about "plug & play but if you don't already have the fog/driving lights I wouldn't worry about doing the upgrade it could be a bit involved.

Does your front bumper look like this?

post-11587-0-25445900-1461252723_thumb.jpg

This is what the fog / driving lights look like on the front of the bumper.

What am I looking for. Also what do the cost? And from whom?

R

My bumper has a plastic knockout in that location. There is a capped off harness tie wrapped up behind the engine side knock out.

The truck is going in for the front air dam repair rt after I return so Bob at BMT Group is looking into bringing in the light housings and cord. The drivers cargo latch needs replacing as does one of the drawer hardware latches.

Just got off the phone to the Campground, seems folks are coming and leaving at various times so, not sure when to book. I'm thinking arrive the day before and leave on the 21st, the day after it finishes??

Roger

Archived