Iowa to Las Vegas in a week

triptakers

HI!

We're dipping our toes into RVing with a relocation from the Winnebago factory to Las Vegas next month. We don't have much time, but I really want to do a lot of stuff on the way... is this unrealistic? I could stick one more day in there - but where should it go?

Day 1 - drive from factory in Iowa to sleep around Brush, CO
Day 2 Brush CO to Mesa Verde Natl park
Day 3 visit Mesa Verde park, then drive to sleep in/near Moab
Day 4 Moab to Arches NP, Canyonlands NP (maybe), Escalante NF(sleep in/near Escalante, or drive to Bryce & sleep closer to there?)
Day 5 Bryce NP, Cedar Breaks & Zion NP, sleep someplace
Day 6 Drive to Las Vegas

Any suggestions on how to save money is very appreciated as well. :)
Thanks for your input!

I think you said next month. The weather would be my concern. It might be fine or you could find yourself stranded somewhere for a few days. If you can watch the forecast and shedule accordingly. The second half of March could be a lot nicer than the first. El Nino could influence a big storm or it could be pretty pleasant.

Thanks to you both! Yep, I think the first day especially will be long, but we've only got a week of spring break....so even if it's "work", I hope we can get it outta the way so we can see the parks (no offense to Nebraska).

We're starting the last week of March, so hopefully it'll be more springlike...?

Spring break in the Utah parks are packed. If you do not have a reservation at Zion then you will boondocks in the first come first serve. Not a lot of long sites. If you arent there by 9 or 10Am you will be paying to stay outside the park. We actually had to drive back about 40 miles to find a site. Got up very early the next morning to be first in line for a spot. Got the only one that opened up for our 40 ft rig & tow

We started a tour in Zion a couple years ago in March. Had to head back to Vegas due to snow storms.

We're starting the last week of March, so hopefully it'll be more springlike...?

It might be springlike, but it could also be very stormy. It will be critical that you watch the weather closely as you do not want to learn to drive your new RV in a blizzard and that could easily happen. March is not yet spring in the high mountains and Fariplay is at nearly 10,000 feet so I assure you that there will be snow and if you are lucky it will only be on the ground and not flying about. The average high temperature there in March is 39° and the average low is 15°. In Mesa Verde the typical maximum temperature for March is 50° and the low 26°. Denver averages 12" of snowfall in March and another 10" in April so even there snow is a distinct possibility.

In Fairplay the average annual snowfall is 156", with 21.9" of that in March an another 26.7" in April, so snow is very common in the time that you expect to pass that way. The important point is that you remember that if roads get bad the wise RV owner parks the RV and waits for better weather & roads.

Between now and then read everything you can about your systems. Ask lots of questions here. Don't be shy about anything. Get as thorough an understanding on how things work as you can before embarking on your trip. If you do get stranded somewhere you won't have too big of a stress level.

Make certain your propane tanks are FULL. Carry enough water to last a few days. Make sure the dealer gives you a FULL class on how the generator works. Keep your fuel tank full if it looks like you are headed for weather. Most likely your generator will run off your rig's fuel tank.

Congrats on the new rig. What are you getting?

Another thought - boondock each night. Act as if you were stranded in a storm. You will be ready if it happens and you will save some $$$. With those long days, use Walmart for overnights.

Near Zion is a neat little town - Kanarraville. We found Red Ledge RV Park & Campground (no web site). Great place. Don't know how full it will be on those dates. Transportation could be an issue. Are you going to tow a car/truck?

Archived