Volvo Steering Wheel replacement

jeffw

Given that the steering wheels on these trucks seem to be a significant wear item on the interior, has anyone replaced it? I would imagine the wheel could be replaced separate from the airbag, so it shouldn't be too expensive (other than the controls on it on the gen2 trucks)....

What's the thinking here?

Thanks!

-jeff

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

New steering wheel will not change the badging to KW...jus sayin

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

New steering wheel will not change the badging to KW...jus sayin

And the steering wheels on used KWs are worn out, too. Just sayin' . . . from experience. ;):D

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

The airbag can definitely be removed--4 T20 (I think) screws hold it on. If you can't find a good used wheel or the dealer price is too steep, you might consider a leather cover if the wear is mostly on the rim of the wheel like mine was. Wheelskins made mine--17.7x4" is what you'd need. After 4 years, it still looks new.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

The airbag can definitely be removed--4 T20 (I think) screws hold it on. If you can't find a good used wheel or the dealer price is too steep, you might consider a leather cover if the wear is mostly on the rim of the wheel like mine was. Wheelskins made mine--17.7x4" is what you'd need. After 4 years, it still looks new.

Very cool. And thanks for the work you've done on the lighting. If we end up with a Volvo HDT, the lights will be a must-have upgrade!

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I put a Wheelskins leather cover on mine over 10 years and 80k ago and it still looks and feels great! I did the installation my self and it was simple.

My wheel was not badly worn, but it was imbedded with grease and grime.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Replacing the wheel is easy, I've done mine a half dozen times to get it straight. Couple notes here- disconnect batteries at least 10 mins before fooling w/air bag for safety. (Must wait, because residual charge sets it off if electric fails within a few secs of a crash)

Also, get the wheel absolutely straight before swapping. Tape on wheel matched to tape on dash while driving works, then bring it home & swap w/ marks lined up. I didn't need a puller, lift up w/knees under wheel & rap on the shaft (W/ THE NUT STILL ON.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

No puller needed? Drat.... wish I had known that. I found a really nice Volvo steering wheel on a truck at Eubanks in Richmond. Guy told me $15 if I pulled it off (sans airbag). I then asked if I could borrow a wheel puller..... was told they did not have one but I could buy the entire steering column with wheel, switches, U-joint, etc. for $200. I passed. Couldn't go back later. I did put a Wheelskin on mine back when. It made a fat wheel fatter but I like it. Still looks good.

I did have a thought at the time..... like David I had previously found that the SRS air bag was easily removed. I then thought it should not be too difficult to place one of the SRS modules out of the steering wheel on the passenger side. Of course mounting and blending to the dash would take some time with clay, fiberglass, Bondo and paint. Parallel wiring should work fine. Next time I run across a nicer steering wheel I can buy I will have to try the knee trick. I don't think a "regular" car wheel puller will work on the Volvo - have not tried but I do not believe the pulling holes are there.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy, I was at Eubanks yesterday. We took the 2 rearends that we changed out on a 1990 pete up there and they bought them. They said they were to be exported. Hope your finger is getting better. Take Care, Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived