Ultraviolet water pruification

I have.. and oddly enough, some of the housings and such came from a boat salvage. My system is portable rather than being integrated. I use the water fixer setup along with an 8000 grain On the Go portable softener. I don't really do CG's, but wanted the ability to process potable water from any available source. The intake has a pre sediment "gunk" cage/prefilter, through the pump and accumulator tank, pressure regulator (that I use to control flow rate through the system), passes through a 5 micron pleated filter, on through a 1 or .5 micron carbon filter (depending on the level of filtration required for the area), through the softener tank, and finally through the UV chamber (running off a 12v ballast).

I did install quick connects so I also have the option of taking on water from a per-pressurized source as well. Everything is mounted to a folding hand truck.

It's adequate for filling my fresh water tank, but it is limited to 4gpm's so filling can be slow. The small size if fairly cost effective though... around $.03/gal using standard 10" filters you can find about anywhere (well.. not the .5 micron filters) and the battery is solar charged.

It's extremely nice though to be portable and not have to have my rig present in order to take on potable water.

I do not (yet) have the UV in my system, but it was designed to use a UV lamp for the kitchen water (sink, fridge water, and dishwasher). It would be placed after my kitchen carbon block filter. Our system is a whole house RO system. RO water is stored in the fresh water tank and the entire coach is serviced from that tank. Details are HERE. I've been running on this system for a year and a half, and it has proven to be a very good project.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I do not (yet) have the UV in my system, but it was designed to use a UV lamp for the kitchen water (sink, fridge water, and dishwasher). It would be placed after my kitchen carbon block filter. Our system is a whole house RO system. RO water is stored in the fresh water tank and the entire coach is serviced from that tank. Details are HERE. I've been running on this system for a year and a half, and it has proven to be a very good project.

Great setup. Like your inline TDS meter. What value do you use to determine when to replace filter?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Great setup. Like your inline TDS meter. What value do you use to determine when to replace filter?

I've not had to replace the RO membranes yet....but on the filters I use the pressure differential to determine if a filter needs replacing. That is one of the purposes of the gauges. You can tell when the filter is getting plugged up if the drop in pressure becomes more than 10 psi.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived