Does a tow car require special insurance

Backpacker

I pick up a new Jeep next week to tow behind my Fleetwood Bounder. I retire next month and am about to become a full timer. I purchased my Bounder last month and have it insured but was planning on carrying the Jeep through my existing insurance carrier. I like the premium but am concerned there might be some exclusion on a standard auto policy for a full time tow car.

Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks

That is a question for your agent. Personally, I tow a Jeep GC, it is insured by one company, the MH another. Both companies say they will cover their insured property only.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The coach should cover your toad. But like said, you should call your insurance to confirm. The few trailers,utility, I have owned over the years never had insurance on them. As they where covered by the TV when hooked to it.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Does your present MH insurance cover Full Time?

Some Full Time insurance company's will only cover the MH, if you have a Toad covered also.

Usually you get a discount when insuring both on the same policy.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

The coach should cover your toad. But like said, you should call your insurance to confirm. The few trailers,utility, I have owned over the years never had insurance on them. As they where covered by the TV when hooked to it.

This is true for liability insurance only. Paying for collision insurance on a $50,000 motorhome is not going to provide collision insurance for a $40,000 toad any more than buying collision insurance on a $40,000 tow truck will provide collision insurance on a $100,000 travel trailer.

The example you gave about your utility trailers illustrates this. If you were towing a utility trailer, both vehicles were covered under your truck's liability insurance, but your utility trailer had no collision insurance on it. So, if you had a wreck and totaled out both, the insurance would not pay to replace the trailer.

These statements are true for Texas insurance, can't say about other States.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

This is true for liability insurance only. Paying for collision insurance on a $50,000 motorhome is not going to provide collision insurance for a $40,000 toad any more than buying collision insurance on a $40,000 tow truck will provide collision insurance on a $100,000 travel trailer.

The example you gave about your utility trailers illustrates this. If you were towing a utility trailer, both vehicles were covered under your truck's liability insurance, but your utility trailer had no collision insurance on it. So, if you had a wreck and totaled out both, the insurance would not pay to replace the trailer.

These statements are true for Texas insurance, can't say about other States.

And they were true of WY when we lived there and were also true for our fulltimer RV insurance that we had for 12 years.

The insurance that we had on our tow vehicles was no different than when not towing it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I talked to my ins agent today about this question. He said my assumption is right, then continued to explain exactly what Kirk said. MH ins covers MH, auto ins covers auto. Reason? Since all motor vehicles are required to have a minimum of LPD ins, your auto would not be insured and you would be in violation of the law. Just because it's being towed, it does not cease to be a motor vehicle.

When towing a trailer, it is not insured when disconnected from tow vehicle unless you have a specific policy for the trailer. When towing a trailer hauling a tractor, etc., it(tractor) is not covered while being hauled unless you have a rider on the tow vehicle policy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I wanted to give an update in hopes it might prove valuable. I had insured the motor home with The Hartford though AARP and received a premium about 60% of that quoted by a Good Sam Insurance agent. I thought this might be helpful to share.

I have a lease car I am about to turn in insured through Travelers and was quoted a great rate to add the Jeep. However, I decided to add the Jeep to the Hartford coverage even though it was more expensive because, since they are now insuring motor homes, they would be familiar with tow cars.

I informed the agent that this would be a tow car and asked if any endorsements were required for coverage to include incidents as a tow car and was told there were none. It seems to me that these big agencies like AARP's or Good Sam Insurance, while manned by registered agents, these seem to big call centers with agents who might not be thoroughly versed in matters like insuring a tow car. While that gives me pause, at least by insuring through the same agency I have recourse for coverage gaps through their errors and ommissions policy.

Does your insurance include a "fulltime clause" in it? If not you have a hole in your insurance as RV insurance does not include the sort of liability that a home owner's policy does. There are not that many companies that do so and it could prove to be very important in the event that someone should ever be inured while visiting your RV home.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Please check with your agent! In many policies FT use may not be covered. If you do not say FT use and have accident it could equal NO coverage.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Even though we are part time we have full time insurance. Our part time is beyond the definition for insurance in number of days on the road so we have full time insurance even though we feel we are part time. I don't know if the definitions change by insurance companies but felt it is better to pay the additional premium than not to be covered. The premium upgrade I think was around $150-$200 to be considered full time.

Archived