california hdt registration

RKMoezee

5 hours ago, Broncohauler said:

No more HDTs as motorhomes in CA for now

As for CARB I did cal them, and like Chad said they are very nice and helpful. 

When I called with the same question the person on the phone was new and couldn't answer, so they had a supervisor call me that same day. 

I was told and they emailed me a letter stating that. 

If you use the truck strictly for RV purposes, that the is expected from needing any DPF. 

But if caught using for profit that the fine was very steep

Would you print, scan and post the email, for all to see.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly some helpful information for **California** residents:.

Bracken Registration and Tax services WAS the 'go to' folks for registration of HDTs to MHs.  Due to changes in wording of DMV regs -or the DMV rep they used- registering HDT to MH  became "no longer an option".

Call them and ask - as in, get the scoop direct from the horses mouth.. Nice folks, no reason they won't explain the situation (which had been previously posted on this forum - both "before" and "after" said "changes)

CA BOE - and Use Tax - A **California** resident can legally avoid paying sales tax on a vehicle, vessel, or aircraft purchased outside the state, and used for 12 months **without** returning to the state.

See - "12 month rule" (formerly the 90 day rule)

The following does NOT apply to MHs - and would NOT apply to an HDT registered in **California** as a MH,  Be sure to scroll down to "Do these vehicles have to stop at scales"

See - Note the inclusion of pickups, weight limits - and utility body/stake beds.

The point is - if your HDT has **Calfiornia** Commercial Plates (not MH) - you are required to stop at scales, no matter what the use is. Actual "enforcement" may be hit or miss.

LLCs and **California** residents - as of 2010 - the LLC is a CA "resident" if 50% or more of the shares or membership interests are held by shareholders or members who are residents of CA.  (A legal residence -domicile-outside of CA would be necessary - which defeats the purpose of the LLC for a CA resident.)  The resident "Company", as the name implies - is commercial.

Archived