Update on Lithium Battery questions & purchase

Al F

Here's the latest on what I'm up to: http://rvnerds.com/2016/02/22/buying-the-hardware-battery-monitoringcharging/

As far as fire risks with lithium ion batteries, they are real, but easily managed. Keep in mind that you have this technology (Li-ion) in your laptop, tablet, cell phone, smart thermostat, power tools, electric scooter, hoverboard, and maybe even your car. Where you've seen fires--as with cheap "hoverboard" imports recently--it's most often the result of a poorly constructed battery or the failure (sometimes the complete omission) of the circuitry to prevent overcharging.

And like lithium ion batteries, lead acid batteries and LiFePO4 batteries can explode/ignite. But in a properly designed system, you've got a far greater risk of fire from a bad wheel bearing, blown tire, or absorption refrigerator.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

• 9 months later...

Few things.

I don't consider LiFePO4 lithium cutting edge any more. It's solid but improving technology. We'll see both battery and BMS improvements over the next few years but I don't thnk we'll see any large price reductions in battery pricing. I think BMSs will add more diagnostics features so we can better see how the packs are functioning but their basic function won't change a lot.

As far as which cells to use I'm leaning toward GBS. I like the ThunderSky but there just isn't any good sources in the US since Balqon went the way of the dodo bird. When it comes to the BMS I like one made in Europe but it won't fit the mounting posts on the GBS cells so I'll stick with Elite plus I'll always know the BMS and batteries will work well together. I do hope that the Elite BMS will get some upgrades but they are a solid product.

I like the GBS 200AH cells over the 100AH ones. True they are a little more expensive but they are a better design. However the location they will be mounted will likely dictate which ones get used.

As has been said the issues with fire are over rated. LiFePO4 type batteries just don't have a fire problem. In fact I feel they are so safe I'd rather keep them inside the coach to better control the temperature they operate in.

John & Joyce

N6BER

Archived