To tow or not to tow

DiscussionFam

My Class C is 32' long, but that size really was not part of my decision not to tow. I did not want the bother of adding something else that had to be hooked and unhooked.

As Sandsys and Barbara OK point out, there are lots of ways of full-timing, and those ways include towing and not towing. The poster asked for differing opinions, and I gave mine. What I do works very well for me and is another option to the "you have to have a towed vehicle" style of living.

The original poster asked if towing was a convenience or a necessity. I think "necessity" is a matter of an individual's life style. For me, the convenience of the towed vehicle would be cancelled by the inconvenience of having to haul that extra vehicle behind me. Plus, there is a cost involved for insurance, cost and depreciation of the extra vehicle, tow equipment, and maintenance that you have to balance against the money saved in MPG.

The original poster also asked how difficult it was to travel without a towed vehicle. It sometimes takes planning, but there have been very, very few places I have not been able to get into. Sometimes driving my big vehicle means I find side street parking and have to walk a couple of blocks farther than if I had a car. In many large shopping center type parking lots, I can park in two spots without anything hanging over, although I do like to be on the far edge without other vehicles around me to make it easier to get out.

I have traveled in a 26foot class C with no toad so I know how that works. It was extremely frustrating. You are so limited in places to park. Places you can go. Now I know there are people that the RV park is their destination. I think that is great. But don't tell me that you aren't giving up 80% of your opportunity's to explore the area, I know better.

I need to comment on this statement, " Plus, there is a cost involved for insurance, cost and depreciation of the extra vehicle, tow equipment, and maintenance that you have to balance against the money saved in MPG." Ok if you don't have a toad and can't afford one that's one thing. But most likely you already have a car and are paying insurance and license fees any way. I think I loose .5 to 1.0 mpg towing, I don't know because I have never gone on a long trip with out the toad. My mileage last year for all travel was 9.3 mpg. Now for example On one trip North East I did 5200 miles in the coach and 5300 miles in the toad. which would you rather be buying gas for the coach at 9mpg or the toad at 30+mpg. Why would I drive some place like Northern Main to sit in a RV park or state park? I want the freedom to go explore places like Bar Harbor (you will not find a place to park) or quaint towns along the coast on roads that you aren't allowed on in a RV.

But again for those who have convinced themselves that they are happy not having a toad more power to you. I think it is disingenuous to tell rookery's that they don't need a toad.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I, for one, would never tell anyone they didn't need a toad. I will, however, tell them what it was like for us to not have one. When doing so I am careful to tell them what size our RV was. The difference between 24' and 28' can be huge when it comes to parking. If we had had that extra 4' we would not have dared park in a spot where our tail end hung over a bit into a loading zone. But the meter maid assured us we would not be ticketed for parking there in our rig.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived