Commercial hdt to rv use only title and registration

Lance Williams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you check the Resource Guide, you will find that Arizona is one of the states that does not do RV registration of a HDT. Commercial only.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I life in AZ. And Mark is correct you cannot change registration from HDT to RV here. Best you can do is register as a private truck. Because I have gone through this personally I can tell you the history of all this. Probably write a book for Az. Sorry wish I could be helpful and I sure wish it was possible. Sorry.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Lance, I.m not fimilar with your state laws but in Va. they are hard to deal with. In order to get around the crazies at DMV I got a truck that was already titled as a Motor Home. I had a copy of the title faxed to me and then took it to DMV. They said they would honor it. They did. I've been towing with it 5 years in May. Maybe they will do the same thing for you. Check it out.

The Old Sailor

My friend has an HDT and he lives in AZ. There was a small window when some were allowed to do this but those days are over.

To me this is shocking with the amount of Snowbirds that flock to AZ and just about everything and anything can be made street legal in the state.

In AZ you need a CDL, as Mark said. While there was historically a way to circumvent this, it has not been possible to do so for many years. Unless something has changed very recently that is the way it is....but it is worth investigating if you have to domicile there.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

sadly Adot was one of the reasons why i sold my Pete :(

my DiamondT is on a MDT chassis and AZ registered as a "private truck"

what pi..es me off is that Adot stubbornly sticks to "a commercial tractor will always be a commercial tractor",

regardless of what you do to it

but on the other hand you can take a (commercial !?!) Bus, yank out all the seats and register it as a "Bus conversion RV" ....

that does not make any sense at all :huh:

" Diamonds R 4 ever " driver.gif

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold
current project; 1952 Diamond T, Cummins 8.3l @ 375hp/ 800ft lbs
, single axle, 239" WB, 1954 Spartan 137" air ride sleeper ....

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

Thanks. This is very discouraging too say the least and really put me in a spot. I bought a 39 ' fiver I've keep in az few years back to full time in. Now I'm ready too do just that and come too find out ( didn't do the math correctly) that my ford f350 can not leagally pull it due to it's weight. Would if it was completly empty maybe. I've driven gets for years off road but didn't need a cdl. Too late in life too get one now and souldnd need one when you look at who driving some of the motor on the road now. Does mdt have the same issues? Would a south dakota or ?? Address make any difference. Thanks for any info on this. It took me a week before I was able to get any info from a real dmv person.

Seems the government wants too make us all criminals. I there's many rigs on the road that are over there leagal weightlimits. What the remidie

Lance,

In a lot of ways we felt your pain in that the wifes Horseback trail lifestyle tends to make for "Heavy-Duty-RV-Oprerations"......

Over the years we "got-by" with less than ideal human accommodations on the road in favor of a reasonable vehicle loading when engaging in the horse hobby.......

Dolly-the-paint-horse is fairly light weight at 950 to 975 POUNDS.....Gulp.....but add in another 1,000 to 2,000 POUNDS of feed and tack and then don't forget a ANOTHER 2,000 POUNDS of water if you "Dry-Camp" and pretty soon your "Average RV" is likely just silly-overloaded.

The only "Advantage" we seem to have is that we own a few homes in the state of Oregon and we were born in Oregon where it is silly-simple to just take almost any sleeper equipped truck down to the local DMV office and pay the fee of about $13 per foot and simply have the rig titled as a motor home and oh by the way just drive away with a class C (auto) drivers lic..........ONLY one catch.......(with a HDT it seems to alway be a ....catch)........You HAVE to prove that you are a REAL Oregon Resident..........Not a "P O Box quasi-LLC resident like SD and a few other states..........

We have had Arizona homes in the past but have taken great care to Always keep enough homes in Oregon to NOT become a Arizona resident for many reasons........

Oregon is not perfect of course but it is a pretty good place to have a HDT RV.........

Moving to Oregon would be a pretty drastic "move" to get your HDT converted to RV status and the last "catch" is that Oregon DMV gets real nasty if they find that a HDT has been converted to a HDT RV without real resident status.........

Drive on............(HDT RV's sometimes has a "catch" or........2)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

This is what I did. AZ resident but kept my truck in California. Since my HDT was a resident of California it required California registration as a Motorhome. My home being in AZ required me to have an AZ drivers license. In AZ, you are not required to have a special license to drive a motorhome!

You keep saying that you can't legally tow your trailer with your f350. The only weight police that will say anything are on the forum. At least you will be able to move it it of the state. Have you actually weighed the rv?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

One way to do it is to become a "full timer" and domicile in Texas or South Dakota.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

another way to avoid a lot of issues is to not base your tow rig on a semi truck ....

disclaimer; not 100% sure on all legalities (so do your own checks)

btw

my experience with Adot is that if you ask 5 individual officers you get 7 different answers :blink:

not a grey area.... more like a who really knows area :huh:

" Diamonds R 4 ever " driver.gif

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold
current project; 1952 Diamond T, Cummins 8.3l @ 375hp/ 800ft lbs
, single axle, 239" WB, 1954 Spartan 137" air ride sleeper ....

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

At least in CA weighing it won't due you any good

They look for axles. If you have 3 axles that would mean they are at least 5k normally more. And that means Evan if your trailer weighs less than 10k,it can haul over 15k.

I'm told that's why a lot of RV manufacturers are going back to only 2 axle trailers. Which we all know is not safe

At all.

At least in CA weighing it won't due you any good

They look for axles. If you have 3 axles that would mean they are at least 5k normally more. And that means Evan if your trailer weighs less than 10k,it can haul over 15k.

I'm told that's why a lot of RV manufacturers are going back to only 2 axle trailers. Which we all know is not safe

At all.

Bronco,

Is correct! In Cal, if you have a 3 axle trailer you better be carrying a DOT Health Certificate. Some Chippies like to give you a big ticket and park you on the side of the road if you've got a trailer with 3 axles and no health certificates. I've seen this happen on multiple occasions to my friends! They are extremely viligant about this around Glamis (i8), Central Coast (hwy 101) and central valley (i5).

Bronco,

Is correct! In Cal, if you have a 3 axle trailer you better be carrying a DOT Health Certificate. Some Chippies like to give you a big ticket and park you on the side of the road if you've got a trailer with 3 axles and no health certificates. I've seen this happen on multiple occasions to my friends! They are extremely viligant about this around Glamis (i8), Central Coast (hwy 101) and central valley (i5).

Does this apply to out of state tourist with rigs that are legal in home state?

Archived