Beating up dually rear suspension

jerryneal

Back in Feburary, I posted needing help to smooth out the ride when pulling a 5th wheel. Thanks for the suggestions. Air ride hitch has made the last year of pulls much better. But, rescent travel on I-10 West toward Texas, I beat the dickens out of the rear end of the F350. No overload, well within pin and overall weight, but those I-10 launch ramps going into and off the bridges were just plain wicked. Took the F350 to the dealer this morning to check out the drive train. But, I need to do something to reduce the shock other than driving 10 miles an hour. Need to find a solution before we hit the road toward Livingston next week. Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Maybe try adding air bags to your rear suspension. I know what you mean though.. it's a known problem with their approach slabs settling over time. The last I heard TX had something like 52,000 bridges and a good number of them all have the same problem. There had been 'some' talk of trying to use foam blocks under the approaches to help prevent/correct that, but I don't know what ever became of that idea. What kind of suspension do you have on your 5er?

To tell you the truth I have tried most everything and nothing on this earth that I know of will fix I-10 or some of our other major highways. I have air bags and it doesn't help one bit. I have had air ride hitch and that hasn't helped. But I will say the hitch was a junk one in the first place. Prototype is what it was and it failed.

The best fix I have found is to use the smaller hwys. in the area that there is known problems. If someone comes up or has come up with a fix please let us all know.

Thanks

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

If you are running more than the required air pressure in the tires dropping it to a lower level but still above the minimum for your tires and weight combination may help.

Air bags might give a minor improvement by bringing you back closer to your unloaded spring height but I'd not expect anything you'd be happy with for the cost.

Have your shocks checked to make sure they are still good, maybe upgrade to a more capable set of shocks.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Yarome, the 5er has a standard 2-axial, 6000lb. Shock doesn't seem to be in the 5er as much as in the rear of the truck. Going to try airbags. Some improvement would be better than nothing.

GeorgiaHybrid, wish I could go the HDT route. For some reason the budget gets in the way for now.

Stanley, running tires at 65lbs. That's the rate on the tires and vehicle recommendation. Was concerned running to low and risk load and heating up tires. Hear horror stories all the time. Spoke with dealer, no oil on shocks. Don't think they're blown. I spoke with them and asked them to look at a different shock set up.

Does anyone know of a better route to Livingston from Lafeyette, LA or do I need to be a big boy and just deal with it?

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

That 65 PSI is for carrying a full load in the bed, if you are under that less pressure can help. You need to get a load / pressure chart for your tires and have the rear axle weighed to see what can be done.

Our pickup was a single and needed the max pressure but our MDT had such a low axle rating that the tire chart didn't go low enough to show it. A call to Michelin was helpful as they explained that the minimum pressure shown on the charts was not related to load but to keeping the tire on the rims. Still dropping from the sidewall and data-plate pressures to the chart suggested pressure helped the ride a good bit with no noticeable increase in heat using my clunky thermometer.

Charts: http://www.michelintruck.com/reference-materials/manuals-bulletins-and-warranties/load-and-inflation-tables/#/

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

When I had my 1 ton dually with Michelin tires pulling a fiver with a 2500 lb pin weight my tire chart stated 55 psi towing ....35 psi not towing. This was for the rears. The front was 65 psi all the time. When I started following this regimen the truck rode a lot smoother.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Trying going thru there with a truck maxed out. Mine rode like a sled due to weight. I literally left seat high enough to contact top of cab. Actually that route finally made my mind up on the HDT.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, no kidding. There is a patch of seat fabric missing. I should only be around 15,000 in trailer weight. Understand I can have all weighed in Livingston. Need to work out something on the F350 for now until I can push the HDT on the wish list.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

We take 190 rather than I10. 190 is just north of and parallels I10 from Baton Rouge into Texas and Livingston. It's a good two lane road going through a few small towns. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We recently changed the air pressure on our rear dullay. We had been carrying 80 lbs. Switched to 65 and I believe the lower pressure helps with the ride. Good luck. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I would look into the Kelderman System. I put one on a F 550 I had that I towed an 18K Mobile Suite with and it made a huge difference. For some reason I can't post the link, but it is Kelderman.com

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

I would look into the Kelderman System. I put one on a F 550 I had that I towed an 18K Mobile Suite with and it made a huge difference. For some reason I can't post the link, but it is Kelderman.com

Interesting... Did you have the two or four point system?

And , I wonder if that would interfere with my 5th wheel rail mounting plates.....

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I tell people that we fell off a bridge on I-10. On one of the overpasses in Louisiana when we left a bridge section and dropped back onto the road way we literally fell. A patch had been torn out making the drop in the 10-12" range. We pulled over to check for damage on the truck and trailer springs and luckily didn't have anything major..... until we opened the rv door and saw all the cabinets and drawers open. There were scrub marks in both truck rear wheels and camper wheel wells where the tires bottomed out.

MorRyde IS on the RV is the best way to go, Air hitch, great shocks, good seats all help too.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Interesting... Did you have the two or four point system?

And , I wonder if that would interfere with my 5th wheel rail mounting plates.....

If I remember correctly it was the two point system and I had no problems with the 5th wheel mounting plates.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

Is it just on concrete roadbeds ? If so, it could be the harmonics set up by the distance between the joints and the wheelbase of your vehicles...."Some roads nothing will help....."

Years ago, I-40 east of OKC, the road was so bad for my particular set up (Dodge 3500 w/airbags+20' cargo trailer), the harmonics were so bad, I had to hold on to the shift lever to keep it reasonably still.

Regards

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

I was out in West Texas, went to Ft Davis and Big Bend area, we got on I-10 for a while and decided to get off, it was banging up the MH pretty bad. We got off on the regular hiways, no problem then.

For some of those roads, I think all we can do is to hope they rebuild the road soon. :(

John in Joplin

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Yarome, the 5er has a standard 2-axial, 6000lb. Shock doesn't seem to be in the 5er as much as in the rear of the truck. Going to try airbags. Some improvement would be better than nothing.

GeorgiaHybrid, wish I could go the HDT route. For some reason the budget gets in the way for now.

Stanley, running tires at 65lbs. That's the rate on the tires and vehicle recommendation. Was concerned running to low and risk load and heating up tires. Hear horror stories all the time. Spoke with dealer, no oil on shocks. Don't think they're blown. I spoke with them and asked them to look at a different shock set up.

Does anyone know of a better route to Livingston from Lafeyette, LA or do I need to be a big boy and just deal with it?

Few shocks these days contain hyd. oil, most are compressed gas = no oil in there to leak.

I run Rancho 5000, lifetime warranty shocks on my Chevy dually, bought from Sears. Since purchase, Sears has replaced them 2X so far. A heavy 5er (I used to travel with a 40' 5er) is IMO, the harshest thing that can happen to shocks. That makes 3 sets of 4 shocks in 140,000 miles of towing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks all for the comments. Let me reply to several.

Thanks for the Hyw 190 suggestion. Was wondering if this is good road. Planning to leave New Iberia north on I45 and looks to be a short trip to Livingston using 190..

Question about the road. It's really amazing. Due to poor soil and probably lack of maintenance, alternating concrete slabs can have 3 to 4 inches in vertical shift causing quite a shock. Actually got out of the truck at a red light to look at the road. There are sections that can repeat every other slab for miles. This will be my last trip on I10 and lower Louisiana State roads for sometime.

I have a Hensley Trailer Saver. Has worked well on bad road, but these roads are in a totally different class. Had air bags added to the rear axle yesterday and crossing my fingers this we'll help, but convinced the only solution is to get off these roads as soon as possible.

On tire pressure, I've been running Generals for a year and a half at 65 lbs per door chart. Haven't had much success finding a tire chart on the web.

Also thought about adding Sulastic Shackles but couldn't find a dealer in the area. May try to add when I return to Georgia late March.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived