Windows 10 Start menu not working - AGAIN!

abgraham85

I had a wonderful Windows 7 computer that I was happy with. However, Windows kept trying to upload Windows 10 despite all my efforts to prevent it. I finally surrendered and tried to upgrade myself. I got error message after error message. I gave up again and purchased a new Dell computer with Windows 10 already installed.

Now for the third time since I purchased it in October the Start Menu has quit working. I have tried every fix I can find on the Internet to no avail. I have called Microsoft tech support and they have tried the same things that I have and then they tell me I have to do a reset. It keeps my data but I have to reinstall all my programs.

I have to say that I am totally disappointed with Windows 10. I spend more time trying to fix it than I do just using it. I am typing this on my iPad and am seriously considering switching to a Mac even though I have never used one. It has to be better than Windows.

Sorry this post is so long, but I needed to vent. I am not sure what I could do differently.

abgraham 85

I upgraded to Win 10 the day it became available and have not looked back. Have had zero problems to speak of. Hang in there and you can work your way through this.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

little more info an i can help ya out. what happen when you click on start menu, if your getting an error mesg something about windows explorer has stop working, could be an infection. MS isn't that good at fixing or finding infections,

try this, google adware cleaner, get it from bleeping computer (on that link only) once on site select download from bleeping computer, small file.

under 2mb. after d/l click agree, scan, then when it says waiting for user to uncheck, click clean, it will give you 2 prompts, click ok it will then reboot pc.

upon boot up gives you txt file of what it removed, see if that helps also after doing so. did it find anything in scan, don't have to list it all but let me know if it found anything.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Thanks for the replies, but I really don't think anyone can help me. I really believe that my microsoft account is corrupt, but I cannot convince microsoft of that. The first two times it happened, when I clicked on the start menu I got a popup that said "Critical Error: Start Menu not working". This time when I click on the Start Menu nothing happens. Any programs that I have a shortcut on the desktop for still work, so all is not lost. I just cannot use any Windows apps. Even the store icon in the taskbar went away.

wildmandmc, I am not sure what you are trying to get me to do. I have never heard of google adware cleaner. I don't see any links in your post and I don't know what a "bleeping computer" is. I run Norton Security and have for years. I don't think I have any malware. Everything seems to work fine except the start menu and windows apps. Upon searching, I find that I am not the only one constantly having this problem. Maybe microsoft will figure it out and maybe not. Like I said, when I get tired of fooling with it, I will switch to Apple or Linux.

abgraham85, on 06 Jan 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

wildmandmc, I am not sure what you are trying to get me to do. I have never heard of google adware cleaner. I don't see any links in your post and I don't know what a "bleeping computer" is. I run Norton Security and have for years. I don't think I have any malware. Everything seems to work fine except the start menu and windows apps. Upon searching, I find that I am not the only one constantly having this problem. Maybe microsoft will figure it out and maybe not. Like I said, when I get tired of fooling with it, I will switch to Apple or Linux.

The name of the program is "Adware Cleaner." Wildmandmc wanted you to Google it.

As for Bleeping Computer, it's a website: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

OK, thanks for the added explanation. Obviously I am not a computer guru. I know just enough to be dangerous. I downloaded Adware Cleaner. I ran a scan. It only showed three files on the screen. I don't remember their names. I selected Clean and it did reboot the computer, but it did not give my any txt file that I could find.

My start menu is still not working. The store icon on the task bar is gone. When I click on a jpg file in the file explorer, it only gives me paint as the only program that can open it. If I chose "Search for Another app" to try to open the file, I get an error box that says "You'll need a new app the open this ms-windows-store".

All my other programs work. Only windows apps are not working. Thanks for trying to help, but I think it really is a problem within Windows 10. If you google "Start menu not working" you will see that it is a problems that others are having that Microsoft has not figured out how to fix. Their only suggestiion is to reset Windows. Then I have to reinstall all my programs. I wouldn't mind that so much if I had unlimited internet.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Some computers have issues or the install was corrupted. You can go back to Windows 7 without losing anything within 30 days of upgrading. That means no reloading programs barring any reversion issues. Rather than a reset I would go back to Windows 7, then you can go to 10 anytime before this coming July if you choose to. I'd get online with others with the same computer model number by googling the brand then model then Windows 10 compatibility issues. For example "Toshiba L755D-S5150 Windows 10 compatibility issues" without the quotation marks and read there. Your model number needs to be in full. I have had three Windows 7 computers I upgraded to 10 with a minor issue on one that I am selling anyway. If I cannot resolve the error message, I will revert it then redo Windows 10 upgrade this time after uninstalling MSE first. It had issues from that error on my part. It is running fine now but I'd rather sell it with 7 than with an error showing up on every boot despite it running great after closing the error box.

Has it been less than 30 days since you upgraded? If so:

"For a month after you upgrade to Windows 10, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

To go back, you'll need to:

• Keep everything in the windows.old and $windows.~bt folders after the upgrade
  • Remove any user accounts you added after the upgrade.
  • Know the password you used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).
  • Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).

Note

If you go back to Windows 8.1, some apps that came with Windows, like Mail and People, might not work anymore. To fix them, reinstall them from the Store."

If go back isn't available

Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

If you have a product key for your previous version of Windows, use the media creation tool to create installation media for Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, and use it to do a clean install."

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived