thats it ! no more RV trailers for me

RoosterBooster

my frame is a IH lowpro

(basic MDT C-channel but with a reduced height/ taper in the rear and made of a better tensile quality HSS alloy )

it is significantly lower then the bed

my bed removes fairly quickly (by removing six bolts, main wiring plug & ground strap);

tank4-006.jpg

tank4-002.jpg

i actually have two 24 gallon fresh water tanks and a 26-30 gallon fuel cell hidden under it ;

tank4-003.jpg

(notice the additional factory "double frame" outside angle added to the reduced height rear C-channel section)

when i build my (captive rubber mounted) bed i never expected to tow a large goose/5th wheel trailer

(was only towing vintage bumper pull travel trailers at that time)

so i really need to rework the bed anyway; my goose ball is too close to the sleeper for fully jack-knifing a wide body trailer :rolleyes:

imag0033.jpg

i`m thinking to cut out the complete goose ball recess, switch to a lower (16-20 gallon) fuel cell

and mount the air ride hitch direct to the frame rails (set back another 3-4 inches)

" Diamonds R 4 ever " driver.gif

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold
current project; 1952 Diamond T, Cummins 8.3l @ 375hp/ 800ft lbs
, single axle, 239" WB, 1954 Spartan 137" air ride sleeper ....

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... so do i :lol:

i love the very compact all stainless Dickinson Newport Boat furnace series (diff models available in solid fuel, diesel or LP):

heater3.jpg

unfortunately i have a champagne taste, but only a beer budget :rolleyes:

... so that elegant solution is probably out of my reach :unsure:

What I like about marine heaters is they can be diesel, Webasto makes diesel cookers and fridges too... all one fuel...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The Dickinson unit is either gravity fed fueling or it needs a little 12v tick pump like a Webasto or Espar ... it is not a push a button and forget it operation to start it... but running one would be No Problem for HDT people...

my frame is a IH lowpro

(basic MDT C-channel but with a reduced height/ taper in the rear and made of a better tensile quality HSS alloy )

it is significantly lower then the bed

my bed removes fairly quickly (by removing six bolts, main wiring plug & ground strap);

But I was talking to him about a hitch and bed...

The Dickinson unit is either gravity fed fueling or it needs a little 12v tick pump like a Webasto or Espar ... it is not a push a button and forget it operation to start it... but running one would be No Problem for HDT people...

i agree... seems the starting procedure for diesel is a little more complex ...

so for "i want quickly a little heat to enjoy my breakfast" i would probably stick with LP

but i do not like "direct vent" space heaters ...

it seems the selection of vented units is slim (well... at least economical priced ones)

a LP "fire place" would also be an idea for quick heat ....

Broncohauler

a Marine cook stove could be an "all in one" diesel fired full timer solution;

00ATL.JPG

http://www.suremarineservice.com/00-ATL.aspx

heat, stove, oven and water heater ....

but probably only really practical in cold areas ?!?

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

i agree... seems the starting procedure for diesel is a little more complex ...

so for "i want quickly a little heat to enjoy my breakfast" i would probably stick with LP

but i do not like "direct vent" space heaters ...

it seems the selection of vented units is slim (well... at least economical priced ones)

a LP "fire place" would also be an idea for quick heat ....

Broncohauler

a Marine cook stove could be an "all in one" diesel fired full timer solution;

00ATL.JPG

http://www.suremarineservice.com/00-ATL.aspx

heat, stove, oven and water heater ....

but probably only really practical in cold areas ?!?

Not a full timer more like very part time. Still work 52-65 hour weeks. But thanks in part to carb I'm looking into doing a full truck conversion on my current truck. It will be approximately a 26 foot box

With the bed removal so easy and your fabrication skills I'm sure we could make things work. Don't know if you about a dual version of the ET air and goose neck.

yes, i think Grendel (John) and you talked about ET`s for our trucks already ?!? ....

i have to look at your dimensions (and my bed) again , but i think the Junior ET would fit

The Dickinson heaters work exceptionally well. I've seen them used in RVs in the past, and have experienced RVs with them. They really are a good solution for many RVs. I considered putting one into this coach, but I almost certainly will in my next. Like others, I prefer redundant heat source. In my current coach I have: 100% heated floors, an electric fireplace, and two conventional RV two-stage furnaces. We do spend time in cold weather, but not typically in the single digits - but extensive time in the teens. Our solution works quite well. As long as you have electric and/or propane.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Nothing without closed loop fuel injection will self-adjust. Not RV furnaces, water heaters, not Honda generators, not bikes, SxS's or sleds. Unless it has an O2 sensor in the exhaust, it can't adjust.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Jack

i would love floor heat (i`m a bare foot guy).... but my dogs would downright kill me if i do that to them :wacko:

(them hairy monsters dont see anything wrong with cold weather :rolleyes: )

BH, Darryl&Rita

good point ! .... especially with diesel that could be a serious problem

everything LP seems to run the same at my current low location (Chester, NH @ ~220ft) over my previous location (Cedar City, UT @ ~6000ft)

so maybe a small LP heater for quick heat, a forced air LP furnace for serious heat (with ducting to tanks& plumbing)

and maybe a little later down the road a pellet stove for its cozy, even heat (always loved Pellets for that)

Standard pressure at sea level is 29.92" With a standard lapse rate of 1"HG/1000' the standard pressure at Cedar City would be about 23.92"HG which is roughly 80%.

A furnace does not have a required fuel/air ratio, as the combustion chamber is not fixed and air is (hopefully) unlimited. (Unlike an engine where we are converting the comnbustion into mechanical action and heat is just a by product.)

In theory the flame would just be 20% larger with the same sized regulator and orifice...... not enough to affect the operation, maybe not even enough to notice. If anything it may cycle a little shorter as it produces a little more heat. I suspect the designers have taken this into consideration.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

In theory the flame would just be 20% larger

I would expect it to run rich and cooler (lower BTU's). Without a nozzle/jet change I'd expect incomplete combustion and a bit of soot with diesel.

Jack how was the noise level on the units you've seen?

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I would expect it to run rich and cooler (lower BTU's). Without a nozzle/jet change I'd expect incomplete combustion and a bit of soot with diesel.

You are missing the point. There's an unlimited supply of O2.... this is not a closed combustion chamber. Picture a 20' flame thrower...... would it soot just because you're at altitude?

We ARE talking about the furnace, not the truck.... right?

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

would it soot just because you're at altitude?

I'm not sure. Are you familiar with the details of how it works? Is there a pressure valve? Is there a nozzle like an oil burning furnace? I have a gasoline Eperspacher in one of my trucks. It has a a pressure regulator and a setting for different jet/nozzle for high altitude. How is the fuel introduced into the combustion section?

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I'm not sure. Are you familiar with the details of how it works? Is there a pressure valve? Is there a nozzle like an oil burning furnace? I have a gasoline Eperspacher in one of my trucks. It has a a pressure regulator and a setting for different jet/nozzle for high altitude. How is the fuel introduced into the combustion section?

Those puppies are super sensitive.....

I'm not sure which device we are discussing here. The Dickinson is quiet. The two stage furnaces are hard to hear on stage one, but about half the noise level as "older" RV furnaces on stage two. My infloor heat is dead silent ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

http://dickinsonmarine.com/support/diagrams/

Check correcting air/fuel ratio

Ya I think on the Dickinson units the O2 sensor is the look in the window adjust the fuel method. Fuel is gravity drip very few moving parts / logic boards / LED's / wiring diagrams / sail switches / flux capacitors.

Jack - floor heat is what we have in the house and garage... we do have a placebo thermostat handy for visitors from forced air dwellings to "throttle up and down". It's hard to replicate the forced air draft down the back of the neck ... :)

How is yours fired?

....very few moving parts / logic boards / LED's / wiring diagrams / sail switches / flux capacitors....

the older i get the more i like it that way ;)

just today i bought a simple push/pull cable at NAPA so that i can manually open/close the fuel supply at my mechanical injection pump

no wires, no switches, no solenoids .... just a little hidden black knob at the dash

what is also a great theft prevention device; she aint going nowhere without fuel :ph34r:

Can you see it now? Thief frantically thumbing away trying to google "1951 Diamond T no start..."

lol ....

but on the other hand i have an electronic speedometer with a GPS antenna on the roof :P

(was in a hurry to get the truck going and trying to figure out a mech driven one was just too much trouble :rolleyes: )

Speedo came in a set of other electronic gauges ...

i do plan to replace them all with old fashioned mechanical gauges (except speedo) sometimes down the road

at the trailer there are gadgets that i cant avoid (like Solar controller/ inverter) but i do want to keep other things as simple as possible

Archived