Trial by Fire

redcrzr

Well, I for one am curious as to exactly what you have decided to do Todd on your repair?

Any news you want to share?

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We picked up the truck & trailer on Thursday. Two new pistons, all new rod bearings, main bearings were OK. New turbo, cylinder head, 4 new batteries & many miscellaneous parts. Close to $13,000 in parts.

Never dealt with La Crosse Truck Center before but after discussing the repairs with them, I drove away confident that I was treated fairly. A lot lighter in the pockets but relieved to be back to planning our next trip.

Appreciate all the concerns & suggestions from the people on this forum. Hope to see all of you some time in our travels.

Todd E

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Good to hear you are back on the road with a smile on your face.

The truck should be pulling better than ever, with a new head & turbo I would think your mileage will be better too.

Thanks for the up-date.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

He installed non-approved adititives in the engine and tranny so he is on the hook for the full bill.......

Ya can't fix stupid. I'm on another forum for my diesel truck and every once in a while someone will show up lamenting that "they" won't honor the warrantee because the ECU ratted on him after he chipped the truck, it broke, and he removed the modification before bringing it in.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

X 2 at least......

Two years ago I bought a pickup bed cover off Craigslist from a guy that was district tech that looked at failed GM parts....

He had a new Duramax in a crate in his garage ..... I said wow that's a complex looking engine out of the truck......he said oh ya and not cheap ......this guy will be lucky to get by under $25k by the time he gets his 2014 truck running... He installed non-approved adititives in the engine and tranny so he is on the hook for the full bill.......

Not really a topic for us to dive into too deeply, but the dealer/manufacturer is responsible for proving that those particular additives were the root cause of the damage. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 spells this out, and clearly states that warrantors cannot require branded parts be used with the product to retain the warranty (in other words, they must have published a specification, AND must prove not only that the additives used did not meet the spec, but that the lack of adhering to the spec was the cause for the damage). This also means that the dealer/manufacturer can't simply say "your warranty is void". Granted, fighting it all can be an uphill battle...

Archived