Trial by Fire

redcrzr

Todd,

How soon do you need the trailer moved?

I am out of town this week till Thursday evening. This weekend we have to go stove shopping as ours in our S&B developed a gas leak and the part is no longer available. The DW doesn't want to cook everything in the Micro wave. Then the following weekend we are up in the twin cities.

I need time to put the insurance on and dig the HDT out of the snow and hopefully it will start as it has summer fuel in it.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave

I am hoping to get it down here before the next cold wave, which I believe is this Sunday. I am still hopeful that someone else will come through. Sounds like you have much to do. Appreciate your offer & your continued support.

Todd E.

920-344-6919

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Got the dreaded but necessary call this afternoon. Head is destroyed. I believe he said some valves dropped out. Replace head, 2 pistons & rods, 6 new injectors. We decided to go ahead with the repairs. It will hurt for a while but my new trailer goes nowhere without the truck.

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Got the dreaded but necessary call this afternoon. Head is destroyed. I believe he said some valves dropped out. Replace head, 2 pistons & rods, 6 new injectors. We decided to go ahead with the repairs. It will hurt for a while but my new trailer goes nowhere without the truck.

Todd E.

Time to do the rods and mains as well??? And what else, guys???

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Time to do the rods and mains as well??? And what else, guys???

I would definitely do all the rods and mains since you are already doing two rods. You have the oil pan off so if you subtract the cost of an oil change and the two rod bearings from the total its a pretty inexpensive add-on. Depending on the wear of the pistons rings and cylinders you are changing, I might go for the total "In Frame" especially if it has a good warranty.

As always, each of us has to weigh these things for our own situation.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

On the road yesterday, made SLC late finally and KOA opened late this am so gotta go pretty quick towards Vegas then East.

As far as repairs..I would do what the Volvo people recommend and what you can afford. There may be some overlap due to the engine being apart so that could help but parts costs are still parts costs.

You have my phone# and can text me and I will check e-mails when able over the next few days.

I may cheap out and see if Dr Pepper can put me up in the brig for a nite plus meals....could I get 50 amps? ....For the trailer that is.

Not to hijack but what would be the average cost of an in frame -parts and labor?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'll be into it around 15K when they are through with what I have described. I'm all in with that, went to the well too many times in the last month with the new 5th wheel & Smart. Didn't see this one coming. Appreciate the advice & hope to personally thank you all one day.

Todd E.

Wow Todd. Also sorry about. Wasn't trying to pry into your business but googling showed costs about what you are describing.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

What Todd is experiencing can happen to ANY engine at ANY time. Unfortunate, but true. Same thing can happen - and DOES happen - to a pickup. It will cost about 20K minimum to replace a modern Ford diesel engine. Sad, but true.

It is a real bummer, Todd. I feel for you. It could happen to any of us tomorrow.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

While I agree with that, I have never had a engine failure unless racing. Have worn them out and raced dirt circuit for ten years. Blew a few of those but 10k rpms. Definitely not normal use. An overhead done wrong? miles maybe.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My Canadian truck says 833,??? that comes out to 517,602 miles. Like Jack said, it could happen to anyone at anytime. I was going with the million mile motor crowd and figured I had clear sailing until I either died or quit driving. I still think that that truck is what I need to pull my trailer so the contingency fund will need to be replenished so I can be ready for the next issue, should their be one.

I, too, have never had an engine failure. Who knew?

Appreciate the kind words & offers.

Safe travels.

Todd E.

Todd, you could always source a used engine at 1/2 the price.

Many outfits have them, I know, I know....there is a risk, but every guy on this forum is running a "used engine".

http://tpa.heavytruckparts.net/detailview.php?partnum=1196283&vehicle=1196283&vendor=254076&store=1&searchnum=1

Look here too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-D12-435HP-12-1L-Low-Miles-Diesel-Engine-/231527105108?hash=item35e8174254:g:mHwAAOSwNSxVJZPF&vxp=mtr

Also, an interesting possibility: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-D12C-parts-engine-Complete-/151939962882?hash=item236053d802:g:n8oAAOSwGotWjBqz&vxp=mtr

I feel real bad for you, I wish I could help.

Rick

Edited to add new info.

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Todd,

That is a hard pill to swallow and I do feel for you.

I would consider PS TWEAKER's comment on a used engine! You would be surprised at what you may come across. You may find one for less than the cost of the parts.

I'm in Jack's camp in regards to how far you're in, sure hate to find liner erosion, a bad crank or cam later on after all that work.

Personally, I would seriously and in frame or a used engine before just putting it back together.

But money and time are "2" different things!

May "good" luck be with you!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I looked up used engines last night, mostly around 15k. There were a couple under 100k miles but still around the 15k$ mark. This was only one dealer.

Then there would be shipping, taxes, installation plus any upgrades or modifications on top. So, say add on what??? another 5k$ ish.

It looks like he has things in motion.

Engine change? That's a whole other level. Never did one without changing the clutch, flushing and/or changing the radiator, all new hoses, exhaust pieces, motor mounts, etc.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Engine change? That's a whole other level. Never did one without changing the clutch, flushing and/or changing the radiator, all new hoses, exhaust pieces, motor mounts, etc.

While you're at it, you might as well media blast and hot dip the chassis.... ;)

Ship fitters disease, or scope creep, very much applies in the automotive world...

A lot of it depends on your tolerance for pain.

Fixing the broken bits, getting it back together and running it for 30,000 or more miles may be the answer.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I'm no gearhead but wouldn't there automatically be things that would be replaced anyway? Proactive replacement of items that have time or mileage issues. Belts, hoses...I don't know what else...Flush trans and check it out, lube truck. Wouldn't it get all new filters?? Inspect some of the other items you mentioned.

Sometimes, if it's not broke don't fix it.

R

What Todd is experiencing can happen to ANY engine at ANY time. Unfortunate, but true. Same thing can happen - and DOES happen - to a pickup. It will cost about 20K minimum to replace a modern Ford diesel engine. Sad, but true.

It is a real bummer, Todd. I feel for you. It could happen to any of us tomorrow.

X 2 at least......

Two years ago I bought a pickup bed cover off Craigslist from a guy that was district tech that looked at failed GM parts....

He had a new Duramax in a crate in his garage ..... I said wow that's a complex looking engine out of the truck......he said oh ya and not cheap ......this guy will be lucky to get by under $25k by the time he gets his 2014 truck running... He installed non-approved adititives in the engine and tranny so he is on the hook for the full bill.......

Whew......Now that's more than all in......a new truck losing value everyday and then you have to fix it to the tune of 25k......ouch....

Sometimes new pickups make HDTs look pretty cheeeep.....sometimes...

RV are a odd way to save money......better to just enjoy the good times and then just go spend more of the money that might just be a problem for the kids if you leave too much to them....

Drive on.......(Darn the $$$.......RV full speed ahead)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

No wonder Apple is down ......?I pads and old geezers dbl post and so.......

Drive on......(iPad has a mind of its own.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

No wonder Apple is down ......?I pads and old geezers dbl post and so.......

Drive on......(iPad has a mind of its own.....)

So it's not just me? Once in a while, I'll brush the screen of the iPad with my thumb and all heck breaks lose.

Type on........one finger on each hand.......... :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived