California Tolls?

LindaH

We're considering going over to the Los Angeles area to visit friends. Our starting point would be Yuma, ending up at Dockweiler Beach RV Park in Playa del Ray.

Google Maps routes us I-8 / SR-67 / SR-52 / I-805 / I-5 / SR-73 / I-405 / I-105. The map has a notation that there are tolls on this route, but doesn't indicate where they are or, of course, how much they are.

Does anyone know exactly where the tolls roads are along this route and how much they charge?

Thanks.

SR-73 is a Toll road.. easily bypassed to get to Dockweiler just stay on I5 until the junction with the I405.

Also from their web page.....

NOTE: Reservations cannot be made for January since the RV Park is closed for that entire month for repairs and renovations.

Rosita, thanks for that link! As MrSeas indicated, SR-73 is the toll road and it would cost us around $15 for both vehicles. However, as mentioned, it's easily bypassed by staying on I-5 until we get to I-405.

I hadn't gotten to the point of making reservations at the RV park yet, so didn't know about it's closure during January. So, if we go, we'd have to wait until February.

Has anyone here driven this route? How is it as far as traffic is concerned? I'd love to go see my friend, but the thought of driving anywhere around Los Angeles scares by bejeezus out of me! :unsure:

Linda, no rosy "happy dance" on traffic anywhere on any freeway anywhere in SoCal, but since I live in NorCal and am used to nutty traffic and awful road surfaces, it's NBD when I drive (the rig) down there; at least most drivers on the freeway systems there are more "merge-savvy" than the ones up here! :blink:

What I can suggest is the following:

Traffic is heavy at most hours of the day and night on many/most freeways, but traveling between around 10:30-11 and 2:30 is generally less trafficked.

Understand your route, including the freeway changes, before you take off. IOW, have a good idea about where you're going and the "sequence" of freeway changes that will get you there. Signage is generally good, but you will need to be prepared for making sure you're in the correct lane (especially important if one is towing) to take the off-ramp. Like anywhere else, your "idiot watch" sense should be operational and your mirrors will get a workout! ;)

Stick to the right lane, but "drive ahead", i.e., be vigilant; right lanes sometimes will turn into "exits only" with little warning, and if the next lane over is full of traffic (and it usually is), you may forced to take an exit you hadn't intended. Sometimes, a kind soul will let you in, but don't count on it; just take the exit, then get back on the freeway. If and when it's safe to do so (like, these's less traffic and you don't have an exit coming up), you can drive in the second lane from the right; the road surface is generally a little better because it's a little less beaten up by heavy trucks.

You will have a lot of company from big trucks on most of the freeways; most of these will be traveling well over the posted 55 mph speed limit. Don't let yourself be pushed; you're not going to be able to "keep up with the traffic", trucks and everybody else (and speeds vary a lot, depending on the volume), so just stay right and maintain a safe, comfortable speed for you.

I took my "RV School" rig driving lessons on the L.A. freeways right after taking delivery of my motorhome several years ago; baptism of fire, to be sure, but good experience! You can do it!

Thanks, Rosita! I was planning on writing out the directions for both of us (we don't tow the car), so we'll know when a freeway change is coming up. I prefer traveling in the right-hand lane when going through a city, anyway, because it makes me nervous to have someone in the right-hand lane next to me...I'd rather just have one lane to keep an eye out for, not two!

Linda I lived in San Diego for 35 years. The best route is to take I-8 from Yuma and go to I-805 north which merges into I-5 north. Skip SR 67 and 52. Stay on I-8 till you get to I-805, its only about 10 miles past SR 67. Once on I-5 stay on it till you get to I-405 and you will have zero tolls. As far as traffic I-8 is light most of the time except for rush hour morning traffic westbound past El Cajon (and of course eastbound evening). I-805 is heavy during morning or evening rush hours in both directions but is moderate most of the time. I-5 will be heavy and so will 405 but if you time it right it will be moderate. Sat and Sun traffic on 805 and 5 is also very heavy. Late evening is the lightest traffic.

Thanks, Rosita! I was planning on writing out the directions for both of us (we don't tow the car), so we'll know when a freeway change is coming up. I prefer traveling in the right-hand lane when going through a city, anyway, because it makes me nervous to have someone in the right-hand lane next to me...I'd rather just have one lane to keep an eye out for, not two!

One trick is to have the car follow the RV. If you need to change lanes, the car changes lanes first and then holds back behind the RV, creating a hole in traffic for the RV to merge into.

If you need to change lanes, the car changes lanes first and then holds back behind the RV, creating a hole in traffic for the RV to merge into.

---

:unsure: A good idea, but, in my experience, "holes" (except the ones that start with an "a") of any size are pretty hard to come by in heavily-trafficked, multi-lane freeways. If the car changes lanes, then tries to hold back traffic long enough for the RV to get over, it's very likely that any "hole" will be immediately filled by another vehicle. The same applies when trying to leave a "safe space" between your vehicle and the one ahead of you; count on something zipping into said space!

Just a warning about the toll roads around LA--some of the exits require you to pay electronically. If you do not have an electronic device with money loaded on it, there is no one to take your money. I drove through one a year ago and got a $50 fine. What they do not tell you is that you have something like 24 or 48 hours to go online and pay electronically. I complained and got my fine reversed as long as I paid. This way of paying a toll after the fact is not well posted, which I think is a sneaky way to get money out of non-local travelers!!!

Also, if you are foolish enough to visit the Queen Mary, note that it is NOT posted until AFTER you get into the parking lot that the fees for a motorhome or trailer are $40 for any portion of a day over 30 minutes. Another sneaky scam!!

Archived