Goose Island State Park Texas

If your looking for a spot they have two right on the bay front with internet and full hook ups. And they are looking for "Night Host". We liked it, was working from Five to Eleven four nights a week. They only require Twenty Five hours pre site. Working at night makes you feel like your not missing any activity during the day. Lots to do in Rock Port and Corpus Christi and Victoria are both with in thirty miles. There are three host sites in the woods but they only have thirty amp service and no Internet.

If your interested call and ask for Janelle and tell her George and Lois recommended you to her...

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

We heard form one host there that the office politics can be a bit extreme and made the stay less than desirable. They would not return there until the staff changed.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We heard form one host there that the office politics can be a bit extreme and made the stay less than desirable. They would not return there until the staff changed.

Ken

Ken,

How long ago was that. We are thinking of pursuing some sort of position in greater Corpus Cristi area. My brother just moved there. Would be a ways in the future though.

06 38L Bounder 300hp Cat
2012 GMC Terrain
Started FT 2011

I'm not sure that we've volunteered anywhere with multiple hosts where at least one host hasn't found "office politics" or "volunteer politics" to be some kind of an issue. Yet, we've gotten along fine. We have found that the key to (our) being happy is to avoid the gossips and go in with an open mind.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I guess I should of went into more details about our every day living for the ten weeks we where there. This night host thing is not the usual "Meet, Greet and Clean Up After Them" like we have done at most parts we have hosted. You do have to deal with the Staff for at least fifteen minutes when you come onto your shift. But after that your on your own most nights. The night Ranger does pop in on week ends.

My Momma always taught me " If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything" So I will not go into what I think the problems might or might not be there or anywhere we have hosted. I am the messenger of good news I hope someone finds something interesting about any post I put up.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Gotta plug Goose Island. We've been waterfront in an RV park in Rockport/Fulton for over nine months now and we love driving through Goose Island. Several nice waterfront sites there with nice facilities plus several large tree-lined lanes as well. Very easy to get to Rockport for anything you might need.

If you've been there recently, you'll also note that TX DOT has finally finished the bridge on 35 over Copano Bay.

If you like fishing or boating, this place is ideal. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you will have a blast down there!! We spent last school year down there and loved it!! Tons of things to do and lots of great eating places to discover. We loved how easy it was to get around Corpus...for a larger city the traffic is almost never a big problem. We talk often of going back down that way for the winters when we go full time!!

• 3 weeks later...

Goose Island was a bust. Drove the 1300+ miles only to find on arrival there was no real site assigned for us (appeared they weren't really ready for us?) and due to a miscommunication, what was supposed to be a full hook up site was a 30amp/water site. Some of this confusion was simply because the Park coordinator did not answer emails as we were in route so we relied on previous host's experience.

I must admit we became less than pleased after sitting at the gate awaiting the coordinator's word if a full hook up site would be available in the next few days. That wait turned into nearly 4 hours.

Now we had no problem with appearing to not be ready for us. Email can get lost. Had no problem with a 30amp/water site. What we did have a problem with was the expectation that we would be oh so happy to devote hours and for the next 60 days of hosting also be thrilled to have to up stakes to go to the dump station every few days. The final straw was, as I mentioned, simply either forgetting about us waiting at the gate or ignoring the problem in the hope it would solve itself.

So, while the people are friendly, the park beautiful and what weather we saw perfect, all was for naught. We are now back in Goliad, Texas rescheduling and replanning what our next move will be. Very disappointed.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Well that doesn't sound too good. That is a long way to travel to get turned away.

Did you feel sure that everything was all set and you'd agreed on what day you were arriving, what you'd be doing, etc.?? I've volunteered 5 different times at Texas State Parks and always been confirmed to arrive on a certain day for a specific span of time. It sounds like some of this may have still been up in the air as you traveled?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We had a similar experience with a Maine State Park. After traveling from Texas to NY, we contacted the park one last time with our arrival date (we had been in contact with them for several months), we were told that the two new 50 amp full hook up sites in the new day use area were not finished and they did not know when they would be finished. They were going to put us in a 30 amp water/sewer site and there our only duty was to clean two restrooms and TEN shower stalls.

We told them no thanks and killed some time in central NY and meandered our way back to Texas.

Start checking with other state parks and see if they have had a cancellation. Brazos Bend might have an opening coming up. Contact Monica Stewart. Great place to volunteer and great staff. They have 10 host sites and a full time staff member to clean restroom Friday through Monday.

Kne

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Well that doesn't sound too good. That is a long way to travel to get turned away.

Did you feel sure that everything was all set and you'd agreed on what day you were arriving, what you'd be doing, etc.?? I've volunteered 5 different times at Texas State Parks and always been confirmed to arrive on a certain day for a specific span of time. It sounds like some of this may have still been up in the air as you traveled?

As much as we could. Unfortunately the coordinator would not answer email in a timely manner and when we called she was "unavailable" both of which should have been our hints. BUT, in our defense this was what we were used to from 2 previous parks where there was known marginal cell/email service. In those cases, we still had a blast hosting there.

Please folks, I honestly believe this was a one time thing or one that will not recur IF the applicant is aware ahead of time. Goose Island is a haven for birders and as I said, the staff we had contact with were friendly. Just know the number of full hook up sites are limited and make sure you have one reserved just for you and you alone before rolling a wheel. And perhaps that the coordinator may have too much on her plate and sometimes lets some details slip by.

As for us, we made some calls and pulled in a favor or two. Today we're enroute to Medina Lake just north of San Antonio and will use our TT membership while exploring the whole area for three weeks. Then a very slow, meandering route north - to a new hosting gig in Washington at Lincoln Rock.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Archived