Virginia to change concealed carry reciprocity - UPDATE (see last post)

TCW

Just a heads up to those with concealed carry permits: "States being severed in the Virginia reciprocity agreements are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Five other states will remain in the reciprocity agreement. They include West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah."

I tried to create a link to the article but the forum would not accept it, A web search will result in several articles on the subject.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Google gave me a couple links that will post here:

VSP Reciprocity and Recognition: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Virginia to stop recognizing concealed carry gun permits from 25 states:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

Going to be a real aggravation, shame we can't have a national concealed carry permit, we could carry it with our national fishing license. :-(

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

VSP Reciprocity and Recognition: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Virginia to stop recognizing concealed carry gun permits from 25 states:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

Going to be a real aggravation, shame we can't have a national concealed carry permit, we could carry it with our national fishing license. :-(

There are some who believe that we are a federation of united States and that all powers not specifically delegated to the Federal Government by the Constitution are left to the States to administer.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Those and our national driving license and voter registration. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Oh-well, I didn't lose anything there, no need to go there. I need to send their visitors bureau an email to that effect.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks Stan!

I tried a couple of articles using both the link feature and actually typing in the [url="xxxxxx code and the link created just came back to the forum topic. When I hovered over the link it would show the url for this forum topic. Yet I was able to link to the search results I posted. I tried using the full editor feature with equal no results. At one point it even created a duplicate topic when I clicked save changes.

I tried a couple of articles using both the link feature and actually typing in the [url="xxxxxx code and the link created just came back to the forum topic. When I hovered over the link it would show the url for this forum topic. Yet I was able to link to the search results I posted. I tried using the full editor feature with equal no results. At one point it even created a duplicate topic when I clicked save changes.

It really isn't that difficult to do, once you know how. The first thing is to type in what you want to use to make the live link, such as the word "LINK" or the article title, or even the name of the site chosen. Then go to the chosen site (I use a second tab for that) and highlight the url address window contents and copy it to memory. After that, return to your post in progress and highlight the chosen LINK and then click on the chain link icon at the top of the posting window and it will open a window that you then paste the copied url into. You may want to use the "Test post" forum just to experiment in to try your hand. Example: NSSF

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It really isn't that difficult to do, once you know how. The first thing is to type in what you want to use to make the live link, such as the word "LINK" or the article title, or even the name of the site chosen. Then go to the chosen site (I use a second tab for that) and highlight the url address window contents and copy it to memory. After that, return to your post in progress and highlight the chosen LINK and then click on the chain link icon at the top of the posting window and it will open a window that you then paste the copied url into. You may want to use the "Test post" forum just to experiment in to try your hand. Example: NSSF

Thanks for the lesson Kirk. However, as I stated, I know how to do it using both the LINK button and typing the actual code which is (bracket)url="httpxxxxx"(bracket)link name(bracket)/url(bracket) and have done so many many times previously on this forum. It would not work for the article links, but if you look at the original post you will notice it did work for the link to the website search results. In addition to posting a duplicate topic while trying to edit the post to make the link work, I also got error messages trying to sign in and out.

Does anyone know if Va. offers a non-resident CCW? If they do that would be one way to get around it.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

Yes they do. See link.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Thanks for the heads up. As usual we can count on good information here.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

My brother just went to the courthouse in PA and got a CHL. He did have to sign a few forms but no gun range or class.

When I got my Texas CHL in 1995, I think, it was two days of class, pass a test and shoot. Now I think that I soon will be able to open carry

in Texas. I had wondered how a PA CHL would be accepted in Texas?

We will have to see how the open carry works in Texas.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read on google news that Massachusetts lawmakers want to ban stun guns after a homeless lady carried one to protect herself! I guess when one becomes homeless they are ruled as useless to society!!! Hope this is not to political?? :(:angry:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

My brother just went to the courthouse in PA and got a CHL. He did have to sign a few forms but no gun range or class.

When I got my Texas CHL in 1995, I think, it was two days of class, pass a test and shoot. Now I think that I soon will be able to open carry

in Texas. I had wondered how a PA CHL would be accepted in Texas?

We will have to see how the open carry works in Texas.

You are right about PA. Simply pay the fee and walk out with a concealed carry permit. Assuming you are not a felon, or whatever.

There is absolutely no requirement that you know anything about safety or shooting proficiency. In fact, if you go to a county sheriff's office any day of the week in PA and look at the people who are walking out with these permits it will scare the bejesus out of you. If the states want to implement any kind of gun controls in this country, that is a no brainier place to start - at least make sure everyone knows which end of the barrel the bullets come out before you give them a license to carry a gun in their underwear.

My understanding that VA has pretty intensive training requirements before you can qualify for a concealed carry permit. That is exactly what should be done in every state, in my opinion. If all of the other states are like PA, I completely agree with what VA has done.

John

I just read on google news that Massachusetts lawmakers want to ban stun guns after a homeless lady carried one to protect herself! I guess when one becomes homeless they are ruled as useless to society!!! Hope this is not to political?? :(:angry:

SCOTUS recently slapped that one down.

Later,

J

Monday, the Supreme Court overturned that decision, which it said clearly contradicted the specific language of the 2008 ruling. The justices then sent the case back to the Massachusetts court for further unspecified action, but the message looked pretty clear: stun guns are covered by the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Link to NPR story: http://www.npr.org/2016/03/21/471316349/supreme-court-suggests-stun-guns-are-protected-by-second-amendment

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

You are right about PA. Simply pay the fee and walk out with a concealed carry permit. Assuming you are not a felon, or whatever.

There is absolutely no requirement that you know anything about safety or shooting proficiency. In fact, if you go to a county sheriff's office any day of the week in PA and look at the people who are walking out with these permits it will scare the bejesus out of you. If the states want to implement any kind of gun controls in this country, that is a no brainier place to start - at least make sure everyone knows which end of the barrel the bullets come out before you give them a license to carry a gun in their underwear.

My understanding that VA has pretty intensive training requirements before you can qualify for a concealed carry permit. That is exactly what should be done in every state, in my opinion. If all of the other states are like PA, I completely agree with what VA has done.

John

Not all the states are like PA. TN has an 8 hr. class (4 hrs classroom with a written test, 4 hrs range), application that includes fingerprints and a background check. TN has a handgun carry permit, no distinction between open or concealed.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great Topic People, I've been looking over the conceal carry issue for the Pacific Northwest including Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and California. It appears that even though some states recognize permits from some states but not neighboring states one would have to acquire several permits from other states in order to be legal. Nevada gets real confusing as it looks like they only issue by county, (or have I missed something)? Point is that when traveling across country one can really get into a federal violation of transport should one get stopped. Another point to consider is, do you mention a weapon on board or keep silent?

I'm asking as this is a situational incident one may encounter while traveling and by state and federal regulations one law abiding citizen may become prosecuted and convicted due to an over site. Either way one is faced with the legal financial stress of protecting their home and family.

I agree with Stanley P Miller, we need a National Conceal Carry Permit. How do we accomplish such a task?

Great Topic People, I've been looking over the conceal carry issue for the Pacific Northwest including Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and California. It appears that even though some states recognize permits from some states but not neighboring states one would have to acquire several permits from other states in order to be legal. Nevada gets real confusing as it looks like they only issue by county, (or have I missed something)? Point is that when traveling across country one can really get into a federal violation of transport should one get stopped. Another point to consider is, do you mention a weapon on board or keep silent?

I'm asking as this is a situational incident one may encounter while traveling and by state and federal regulations one law abiding citizen may become prosecuted and convicted due to an over site. Either way one is faced with the legal financial stress of protecting their home and family.

I agree with Stanley P Miller, we need a National Conceal Carry Permit. How do we accomplish such a task?

A carry permit is likely encoded on your drivers license.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Archived