Ventless propane heater thoughts

Max Death

Have been living in our fifth wheel toy hauler for over three years. The heat really does not reach the garage. We have been using electric heaters to keep the area warm. DW has two parrots that we house in the garage.

Next year we will start wintering in areas like Arizona where electricity is high priced. Have been looking at ventless propane heaters to take the place of the electric heater.

Like the looks and size of the Olympian wave heater but worried that the bird dander may poison the pad.

Have looked at the Mister Heater blue flame heater but the size is a bit on the large size.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated.

See you on the road!

We use a Pro-Com Vent-Free Gas Blue Flame Heater Model: 20K in our Titanium and are quite pleased with its performance.

In cold sites we warm up the unit prior to bedtime. Turn off the furnace and heater through the night and the Pro-Com warms us up in short order in the morning. The Titanium will maintain a 10+°F differential through the night without heat which helps a lot.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Have not been above 5K' yet so I'm still uninformed on that aspect.

Heaters that use flames have oxygen depletion sensors that make them unreliable above about 5000 to 6000 feet elevation. Our Empire brick heater mostly worked at 7000 feet, but would sometimes shut off expectantly. Catalytic heaters, like the Wave, which do not use a flame, will continue to work at much higher elevations. I have been told up to 12000 feet, which works in most places, with the exception of some towns in Colorado.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Heaters that use flames have oxygen depletion sensors that make them unreliable above about 5000 to 6000 feet elevation. Our Empire brick heater mostly worked at 7000 feet, but would sometimes shut off expectantly. Catalytic heaters, like the Wave, which do not use a flame, will continue to work at much higher elevations. I have been told up to 12000 feet, which works in most places, with the exception of some towns in Colorado.

My blue flame works at 8500' in CO. But it will occasionally shut down...like once a day, perhaps. My Olympian worked fine at 8500'. But it had other issues that caused me to get rid of it. Namely, I could not get a reliable pad on it after the initial pad needed replacing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

For the years we fulltimed, we stayed in parks for winter parking and used ceramic heaters to supplement our furnace and save on propane but keep enough going downstairs to keep our tanks and inlets from freezing. Never unvented gas. But there are concerns and each can make their own minds up.

Every winter this comes up. I have an in-depth article for those genuinely interested in the facts for max safety here: http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id110.html

If you are going to use a ventless heater be prepared and at least have a CO detector with an LCD readout and a memory to be able to read the highest levels reached. I personally won't have any ventless heaters including fireplaces. The result of burning any carbon based fuel are lots of things toxic but the CO, CO2, and moisture just make them too dangerous for us. http://www.ehow.com/about_5854549_dangers-ventless-propane-heaters_.html

From Iowa State University:

" Can the health hazards of an unvented heater be reduced?

The most effective method to reduce the hazards is to discontinue use of the unvented heater by switching to vented gas or electric appliances.

Where unvented gas appliance use is permitted the following are suggested:

1.Use only approved gas heaters with ODS pilots.
2.Follow all operation and maintenance instructions carefully.
3.Clean the burner yearly, or more often, as required in the owners manual.
4.Do not use an oversized heater. The Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association (GAMA) recommends limiting the amount of pollutants by correctly sizing the heaters. A 3840 Btu/hr heater is the largest that should be used in a tight 10 x 20 foot room located in Iowa.
5.Do not operate for more than 4 hours at a time. Unvented gas heaters are designed for supplemental use only.
6.Do not use unvented heaters in bedrooms, bathrooms, or confined spaces.
7.Provide adequate ventilation, as required in the owner’s manual. If the home has weatherstripped doors and windows an outside air source will likely be required.
8.Provide even more ventilation, or discontinue unvented heater use, if the pollutants cause health problems.
9.Install a U-L or IAS listed carbon monoxide detector. Because low concentrations of carbon monoxide can cause health problems, purchase a detector advertised as a “sensitive” detector or one with a digital display.

Will a “properly sized” heater be large enough to heat the room in cold weather? Unvented heaters are meant primarily as supplemental heat sources. A GRI study conducted for the Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association noted that “it may not be possible to create a comfortable temperature” with a correctly sized heater. Alarger heater, in cold weather, will pollute the air beyond allowable standards.

What type of heater is recommended? A vented gas heater, a direct-vent wood stove or an electric heater will all provide enough output to safely heat a room for long periods of time. Combustion products from vented gas heaters or woodburning fireplaces also contain CO, CO2 , NO2, and water vapor. Improper design or installation can allow combustion products to enter the house. However, if the vent system operates correctly, all the pollutants will escape to the outdoors through the vent pipe. Pollutant levels will not increase.

Prepared by
T.H. Greiner, Ph.D., P.E.
Extension Agricultural Engineer

The Iowa Cooperative Extension Service’s programs and policies are consistent with pertinent federal and state laws and regulations on nondiscrimination regarding race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age and disability."

The complete article among many others can be found here: http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension-and-outreach/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-unvented-gas-space-heating-appliances-aen-204/

Safe sleeping in your travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We used our Empire for 16 full-timing years. It produces a nice warm constant heat...loved it. It also worked up to our highest camp spot at 9200' EL. We didn't have a bird though. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The Buddy heaters are popular, but only their smallest model is approved for use in an enclosed space. That's on their website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We use a big buddy regularly in our MH. We have 2 CO detectors and have never had a problem here in the desert with moisture or CO. It is plumbed into our main propane line with an adapter and hose we ordered from Camping World. We do not run it at night however.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The Buddy heaters are popular, but only their smallest model is approved for use in an enclosed space. That's on their website.

I beg to differ. Per their site all three buddy heaters are intended for use in campers. The only exception are the models designated for use in Mass. and Canada.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I beg to differ. Per their site all three buddy heaters are intended for use in campers. The only exception are the models designated for use in Mass. and Canada.

You are correct, they now make duplicate models for the original lineup. My bad. The original lineup only approved the smallest model for use in a unvented space. Now the owners manual has this:

WARNING:
If the recreational or commercial enclosure does not
have a window or roof vent, DO NOT USE THIS HEATER

INSIDE

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived