flat bed or dovetail

GlennWest

Mine is just a basic flat deck with the hitch on a stinger which is lower than the frame rails.

DeckHitch.jpg

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Glenn,

Congrats on the new truck and so many good designs and choice. The back of our deck is tapered in on the side down from the deck and a bit forward from the back. This gives lots of clearance when on very uneven ground. One of benefits of the taper is the lights in the truck are very visible to someone driving beside you.

20150602_212047.jpg

2015%252520Volvo%252520Deck%252520pictur

Rick, your truck is a work of art. I doubt if I ever get mine that nice. Won't say never. One day I will have more free time. Love to build stuff, so.... I will be installing boxes later myself and likely close sides in then. When I finally get back to working close to shop I can use bosses all I need

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I built my bed with a few large hinged doors to access all the wiring/lines/valves that would be otherwise near impossible to reach. I have them on hinges with a lockable slide lock.

I ended up doing a slight dovetail as I think they look better with them.

Only thing I would have changed, I made my storage boxes from the same steel on the flatbed.. 3/16" checkered plate steel. Each tool box is about 250+ lbs.

post-31294-0-08621000-1450632204_thumb.jpg

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Glen, if you are doing flat deck first and adding boxes later consider prepping the deck for those, makes life much easier later.

Without boxes,

Oct%2525203_3.JPG

with boxes.

DSC_0504.JPG

But wee added one more feature to the deck building which made box installation a cinch.

In the deck frame we made provisions for box mounting before we put on the top deck steel. In the front

Front%252520box%252520suspension%2525201

Front%252520box%252520suspension%2525202

and in the rear.

Rear%252520box%252520mount%2525202.JPG

Rear%252520box%252520suspension%2525201.

Also before we decked the frame we positioned all the boxes temporarily against the brackets so that we could mark them and match drill them where the weldnuts were.

Well I go Wednesday to see the work. I get off from work at 3:30 that morning. Leave job and go straight there. 6 hour drive. Would the Smart be too much? Ride not best in the world. lol

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I drive mine to Dallas and San Antonio all the time.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Glenn, Don't forget your camera, we love pictures! There should be room in the Smart for a camera and you.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Went to builders yesterday . We talked and discussed this for hours. Real gentleman and a fellow hdter hauler also. He has a converted 53' race car trailer he tows with an older Volvo. Small world. He is not using the typical bottom steel that sits on top of frame. So I will have a lower deck. Using angle iron on rails for that. Bolt to fame with this. I will only need about 10 inches of frame extension. Also plenty of holes in frame for hitch. I will be drilling one hole in welded extension, soft steel. Also Wall Mart fridge I picked up didn't fit. Builder had a good factory unit. Traded with me. I bought 75.00 fridge and got new costly factory fridge. Sorry forgot camera. He had it singled and waiting on driveshaft. Looked good. Also had batteries removed and had 2 different battery boxes for me to choose. Went with 3 battery box. I had 4 batteries. On the side of rails I would loose fairing with it. So used smaller 3 battery box. I can mod it later if I need extra batteries. Muffler now weed burner. Supported well to. Like his work. He offered to put on sides and I asked for quote but will hold off on that. Spending lots of money. Need to buy boxes and they pricey. Want to get good measurements and fill up openings with them. May not need sides.

I sold my Volvo a few years back, but built my own bed.

I went with mounting the hitch between the rails.

Realize my bed was a bit different, but did not want it sticking up... quite honestly for looks.....but also keeping it out of the way when not towing...

Also to go along with my Harley theme (as in HDonlyBob) I reworked a Harley tour pack for the hitch cover...

And for you die hard Harley fans, like me, that is my Brothers bike on the back, NOT my Harley.. :)

Cheers,

Bob

403701580.jpg

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Archived