Volvo Headlights Upgrade

Jemstone

My advice to for anyone replacing the bulbs with Davids setup is to have him install but bulbs in totally new aftermarket housings like I have and do the entire job in one shot. Sanding the old lenses is a very temporary measure, although if you DO go to the trouble to respray with the right clear coat they can last a year or so more....maybe longer. But the best answer is to just replace the entire thing. IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My advice to for anyone replacing the bulbs with Davids setup is to have him install but bulbs in totally new aftermarket housings like I have and do the entire job in one shot. Sanding the old lenses is a very temporary measure, although if you DO go to the trouble to respray with the right clear coat they can last a year or so more....maybe longer. But the best answer is to just replace the entire thing. IMO.

I agree with jack on this one. Well, on many things as too. But I have to say whatever Gregg shields did to my drivers side light when he polished it has held up for 2 hrs. Almost 25k miles and sitting in the Florida sunshine and it still looks as good as the day he delivered it!!! Thanks RVHaulers !!!

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I think Gregg at RVHaulers did a video on having a film (similar to the film installed over a cell phone screen) installed over the light lenses. I would think that such a product would help protect from sand blasting, etc, considerably.

2009 Volvo 670VLN

2012 Forrest River Cedar Creek 36RE

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

I purchased, installed the upgrade light kit, and polished the lenses the first of 2015. I couldn't believe the difference. :D Even though I try never to drive after dark, while coming back to NE Kansas (S&B) for Christmas with family, and to pickup new 5th, we got caught. :blink: I was trying to get home before the storm, so we pulled in with a cold mist, fog, and dark. The lights were great, BUT as I was setting up, I noticed the right light wasn't working on bright. It did when I first made the install, and like I said I seldom drive after dark, plus with the upgrade, who needs the high beam? B) My set up is one driving, and one fog light, but neither will work in low beam, and with the fog on our country road I wanted the fog light, so the high beam was on. Even with only one light, I could see OK, but now I need to find out how to repair the high beam. After the original install, I was going to fasten all the solenoids & such inside the capsule so they wouldn't rattle around, but never got that done. Did I mess up? BTW, the new 5th screw drive has broken on one of the slides twice. We are at the SKP Resort, waiting for parts, so maybe I'm snake bit!! :wub: Nice park, nice folks, so not a bad place to be. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Hi Dick,

Give me a call when you get a chance. My first guess is that one of the ends of the pigtail for the shutter solenoid isn't seated--if the light stays on when you switch to high beam.

I'm not quite sure what you're dealing with as far as fog and driving lights--maybe we can sort that out as well. Hope you get the slide fixed and back on the road!

David

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Aside from either buffing or replacing the housings, I've noticed the lights still only light up 3 dots down the road and am still looking beyond where the lights on low beam project so I'm not really that much further ahead, well maybe some.

I did this on my 97 Dodge and Stan has made reference to it as well. We angled the headlights up a bit and toed them in towards the curb side of the road. It worked fine and didn't catch flack or people flashing lights at me.

Hi beams are fine but realistically, how often do or can you use them....not much.

I asked before and was told it couldn't be done...maybe angling them up but not to the side.

There has to be a way with shims, spacers or something.

Also passengers side light packed it in so I will see if there is a loose connection in the morning before I leave. Went over some crappy roads in Texas today.

Am boondocking east of San Antonio using Mcd's wifi so I'll check computer again in the morning.

This has been a stinker of a drive from Vancouver to Tampa thru Boise, Vegas then around the bottom so night time driving is unavoidable.

Ok, now you've hit on a subject where I can mix collision probability theory (nuclear physics) with driving! It's going to be a super long post on this one--I'm actually working on a peer-reviewed journal article on this very subject. Maybe late tonight if I'm not too tired.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Hi Rick,

It's just the low beam (fog) light that gets upgraded (and it'll match the LED headlights that came on your truck color-wise). The high beam light still functions as it does from the factory. I may offer an upgrade for that light too at some point in the future, but I've not been satisfied with anything I've worked with there so far. Searching for a quality driving light that puts out the right kind of beam, fits well, and looks good hasn't turned up much.

David

Thanks David......that driving light would be orange in comparison to the LED headlights and your new LED fog lights. It would be nice to change them all over to LED's. I'm still trying to work the ECR into my schedule..if so maybe have to put it on the project board. :)

I don't know if it would pass muster on the project board--it's too easy to install. I always thought that board was reserved for big tools, swearing, grease, and the like. ;-)

But that could definitely be arranged.

No, but I don't expect much opportunity there. You can get marginally better bulbs, sometimes producing a slightly whiter light, that will work--but when you're constrained by the LCM to a 55W bulb, there's only so much you can gain. Anything other than a halogen filament or a total replacement of the optics will produce a less-than-satisfactory result--either in terms of useful light output, or glare toward other drivers.

There might be something out there that wouldn't be 50-state legal that might not ever cause a hassle. But if you agree with the sentiment on a forum member's truck, "only break one law at a time," a lot of this crowd is in the red between a smart and overall length.

• 3 weeks later...

David, I have had constant problems with the Drivers side HEI beam that we installed. It worked just fine when we brought it back home from being serviced, went to start it and take it for a run Saturday, and the drivers side low beam is out.... Is there something that is telling me that these are not compatible with our Gen 2 or am I doing something wrong?... Really getting frustrated. If need be , Are you up to an install at the ECR on my truck? If so can you supply the complete units ( 2 New headlight units and upgrades) ? We run quite a few miles in the summer circuit and the LAST thing I need is to be pulled over...

Thanks !

Denver

(NTPA Announcer)

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

I'm having a similar problem with my HID's installed a few months ago. Chris had problems with the installation for some reason. Passengers lite goes out without warning. Turn the lite switch off then back on and it works for a while. These are the new HID's from David. I'm looking to replace the housings if they can be found.

BTW, couldn't make it last year but plan to hit Bowling Green if that's the place to be for T Pulls.

Roger

Hi Denver,

Yes to both questions. I'll be at the ECR (hopefully getting there early), and I can have the kit installed in new housings and ready for you. As far as figuring out what's wrong, if the light is not working at all, give me a call and I'll walk you through troubleshooting the problem. There's no reason why it shouldn't work just fine on your truck.

Roger,

That's probably one of three things--a bad ballast, a bad igniter cable, or a loose connection between the two. We've had a few people who have had trouble with the connection between the two around the time you bought your kit--the weather seal on the igniter cable sometimes gets bunched up in such a way that the clip still locks in place, but without a good connection. Since everything sits inside the headlight, the seal isn't necessary and can be removed. If you're somewhere plugged in to power, you might see if the light stays on while parked--if it doesn't, the ballast probably needs replaced. If that's the case, let me know where you are and I can send you one.

Hi Roger,

What I was getting at was trying to confirm whether or not it's a loose connection. If you have the lights on while parked, there isn't going to be any bouncing around to expose a bad connection, but the ballast will still warm up and operate as usual--and flicker out at some point if bad. Being plugged in is just to make sure battery voltage stays high--I don't want you getting stuck!

As far as new housings, the best deal I've found is at Advantage Truck Parts. $340/pair plus shipping for Depo housings, which are a good compromise between price and quality--nearly as good as factory, but a lot cheaper.

Nuke-E,

Thanks ! I'll try to trouble shoot this problem this week. But am leaning on replacing the entire unit (s) . Please PM me a completed price at your convenience.

Roger, If you're planning on going to Bowling Green this year, I'd call the office at 419-354-1434 to get a Weekend camping package if they are still available. Remember this is the 50th Anniversary and we are planning a 4 day show starting on Thursday. If not, you're welcome to dolly down at our farm. We've got plenty of room and a few 50 amp circuits. Just let me know...

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Archived