MI to GA in early January, places to stop

kts

Towing a 5th wheel from SE Mich to Lake Lanier GA early January 2016. Any recommendations for good stopping, sleeping places along I-75? Will need at least two sleeps with good weather. Once we arrive we will be staying for the winter, any recommendations for things to do and see in the winter in NE Georgia?

OK, we went from Adrian, MI to Flowery Branch, GA just north of Atlanta in September. We went to the Amish country in Berlin, OH as the first stop. Not being a fan of I75 or in a hurry we took US23 with stops in Stout, OH on the Ohio River; Big Stone Gap, VA; Waynesville, NC; then Flowery Branch, GA. US23 was a great 4 lane usually divided very smooth road. It is not an expressway with limited access but a very good road if you would consider a route other than I75. We stayed at Old Federal COE park on Lake Lanier 2 weeks as we wandered to FL then AL for the winter. There are some decent mountain grades so you'd have to pay close attention to the January weather. We have taken I75 but not pulling in the winter. Greg

Ohio 23 is a great road which I ran trucks up and down many times, some small towns and stop lights but overall a good leisure straight drive. That being said, in Jan you will want to run South as fast as you can if bad weather is coming in. I-75 is a straight shot and 5-6 hours you are in KY. Once you get in KY stay on I-75 if pulling a trailer.

Greg

Thank you - will have a look at the US23 route. Sounds like it would be the better choice. We are headed off for our first Workamper experience Jan - Mar with the COE. Not as warm as most snow birds aim for - but should be way better than Northern Michigan. Fortunately our arrival day is very soft , if the weather is bad, we won't roll.

Archived