Length issues?

Pete Kildow

Well I feel better after this anyway. Fueled up today for get this................ $1.66.9/10 per gallon. :D So with 150 gallons of cheap fuel, I should be shorter now. Know I'm heaver along with less cash. But man it felt good to see people paying $1.76 for gas. :rolleyes:

Seen someone post that the smart car made you over width? I fear if we all put the tape to our RV's. We would find that all of them are over the 102" with awning and stuff. Had a guy tell me he had to buy permits to deliver them. But then we the owners can pull the same Rv without the over width permit. :unsure:

Pete

event.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awnings and safety equipment do not count to width. Safety equipment for an HDT include steps, lug nut covers, mirrors.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

... Safety equipment for an HDT include steps, lug nut covers, mirrors.

Yep, that's why Bmzero has those fancy spiked lug nut covers on his HDT, anyone get too close and they have to go get their safety kit for bandages! :)

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

As I prepare to receive my Truck, the "How" I will register is becoming a glooming reality and question.

If I'm cruising down the highway with my privately owned Out of State licensed and "Not for Hire/Non Commercial" Volvo 42T780 and a 47' 5er Toy Hauler, then I start pacing with a "Commercial" Volvo 42T780 towing an Identical 47' 5er Toy Hauler that is being paid to transport the trailer from Point A to Point B, let's say both vehicles overall length is 70'.

A LEO pulls along side and starts checking Information. What happens? How would the LEO differentiate between the Rigs other than reading DOT information printed on the Cab. Is it because my rig lights up as "Motor Home" and the other as "Tractor"? Technically, Big5er says I will get the ticket and the other will not.

If so, what if my rig was registered "Tractor" of course still being "Not for Hire/Non Commercial" in my Home State?

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Dang, Charlie, that's gotta be the nicest thing anyone ever said to me on this forum LOL

And it's been a LONG time since anyone said I wasn't disagreeable :)

EDIT: come to think of it, I'm pretty sure no one here has EVER said I wasn't disagreeable THANKS Charlie !! :D:lol::D

Now, I know for a fact that's not true. Except, you swore me to secrecy.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Even though my hdt is registered as a RV, the registration has MH, it doesn't show up that way in all computer systems. Phil can provide info on Texas. In California it shows as just truck. I have never measured my truck but I do know I don't fit in a lot of spaces while hooked up. I just drive. I have been the length of Oregon without problems. By the way their scales are on even when closed so stop in and get a wt. I entered California on i10 and drove all the way to Sacramento without problems.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Larry-AK, most likely the LEO will pull up the plate information on his computer along with seeing the DOT numbers and IFTA stickers on the side of the commercial tractor and the commercial style licence plates, plus see an in transit plate on the trailer and then look at yours and see no such DOT numbers and an RV license plate on the truck and trailer and a smart car playing hide and seek on the back of your truck.

We thought you had a one of a kind truck, so how could there be an identical one!

Some of the LEOs around here have cameras mounted to read plates and will automatically search for flags in databases just driving around and let the officer know when it gets a match. Saw it first hand when taking a ride with an officer! (Luckily it was just to go move our rig a couple of blocks when we were at a show so a funeral home could use the area on the street where we legally parked it at.) Not sure if the DOT people have them yet.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Now, I know for a fact that's not true. Except, you swore me to secrecy.

You said you would never tell ! :D

Larry, where are you going to register your truck? You can not be a "tractor" in Texas, both because of the smart's loading spot and because you will not be commercial. Other states may vary...

But Dave is right. I would run the registration on both truck and trailer If they are both registered to the same individual, then I would probably take the one with the DOT numbers. If they are registered to two different people, an LLC or some other name that sounds like a business name, then I would take the one without the DOT number and find out why. If the trailer was anything other than an obvious "travel trailer" type 5th wheel I would chose that one too.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks to all, having patience with my questions. Just trying to get up to speed on State's law. I'm not from a mid-size State like Big5er. I've been Snowbirding from Alaska for years and the RV's we've owned have been straight forward in registering, we store them on the public road system.

I have to freely admit I missed the registration 101 class when I ordered my truck. It's one those requirements I tend to not worry about due to where I live, all 50 miles of road is private.

BTW ... I don't believe I have a "one of a kind truck", it's just a truck where I had the opportunity to select every option. So many cool options but not enough money. ;)

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Thanks to all, having patience with my questions. Just trying to get up to speed on State's law. I'm not from a mid-size State like Big5er. I've been Snowbirding from Alaska for years and the RV's we've owned have been straight forward in registering, we store them on the public road system.

I have to freely admit I missed the registration 101 class when I ordered my truck. It's one those requirements I tend to not worry about due to where I live, all 50 miles of road is private.

BTW ... I don't believe I have a "one of a kind truck", it's just a truck where I had the opportunity to select every option. So many cool options but not enough money. ;)

Larry,

Like a bunch of old ladies in a dark room yelling Booo..... one can lay awake nights mumbling 'what-if's" and "me-oh-my's" but at the end of the day ya just saddle-up, jump on, hang-on, and jab'em with the spurs.........

It aint that bad....

Now the Dollytrolley is "one-of-those-old-gals-that-looks-worse-the-closer-you-get" ......but does that make me fear the long-arm-of-the-law.......(Maybe I should but I am not that "Intelligent").........so once in a while in our back country wanderings we find two-cop cars pulled up alongside each other doing what cops do (Big5er....what do cops do when door-to-door......maybe bad question).

Anyhow IF there is room enough for the Dollytrolley to pull-off near the "cop-huddle" and set the brakes and hop out and lower the Dolly ramp and adjust her hay-bag and offer a bucket of water.......

Now in the "stone-ages" I recall a theory called 'hiding-in-plain-sight" so instead of trying the hide the HDT (good luck) we just..... flaunt it....and of course a lot of the cops out West enjoy the sight of Dolly-the-Paint-horse.....she is 20X better looking than the Freightshaker will ever be.....

Have we been ticketed or tazered .......NO..... in fact the best comment we had was from a deputy in N. CA he said "finally a horse rig with a real set of brakes"......

It seems that the more HDT's are seen.... the better it is likely for the "cause" ..........but maybe it's just having a drop-dead-gorgeous-horse aboard that saves our day with a ugly truck.......whatever... it seems to work.......

Larry ........don't lose sleep or your hair ..........you'll be in good shape.....as Phil says .....no RV ever got a $37,500 ticket yet along side the road so you'll be all smiles the more miles you get.

Drive on........(Don't yell.....Booo)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Good advice Dolltrolley. The safety factor exactly why I got crazy and ordered the truck with 17" Disc Brakes. Not to worried just getting my head straight on what options I have when registering the truck.

. Not to worried just getting my head straight on what options I have when registering the truck.

.....and that is exactly the right attitude... IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Is a travel trailer defined as a bumper pull or an all emcompassing RV Trailer in Oregon?

GoldRush.........not sure.....

The ODOT definition of "trailer-length seems to bunch all types of trailers into a fairly simple unit of measurement as stated below:

"The length is measured from the foremost point of the

trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body, not including the spare tire."

So........the "interesting-concept" with this method-of-calculating-trailer-length is .........lets say you build a fifth-wheel travel trailer that is 44 ft 11inches from the front of the pin to the rear-most portion of the body........does that mean that you are free to add up to TWENTY additional feet AHEAD of the hitch pin to reach the max combo RV limit of sixty five feet (of course your tow rig would have to have a low-cab to allow the trailer forward section to "hover" over the cab.........like some heavy crane carriers)? ?

Now......IF someone "builds" the above trailer please do not ask me to take it down to the DMV to get it registered ..........you might bump into the..........letter-of-the-law..... vs........ the "intent-of-the-law".........I am way too un-intelligent to carry that task out.........

DISCLAIMER: Having had to deal with various Heavy-Crane-Carriers over various time spans I assure you that while tail-swing can be a challenge at times .........it's a walk-in-the-park compared to "front-swing" (don't ask me how many stop signs and mail boxes I have approved purchase of over the years)........Front-swing can be managed but the operator needs to THINK ahead of the ....game.....

Drive on........(Where is that ........tape measure)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

LOL..they probably will, but take my advice and avoid the west side of Houston. I have this co-worker with a reputation............and he doesn't drink Dr. Pepper.

First ........I am a little gun-shy to even ask but chalk it up to ........"my ignorance"*........but it seems a bit odd that a "DOT-co-worker" seems to have a "reputation-for-"pinching"-over-size_RV's...........Is the "co-worker" "locating" "under-the-radar-quasi-RV's that are likely renegade-"horsers", sorta-commercial-racers, or semi-pro-4H'ers..........or does the "co-worker" have a sharp eye for any oversize RV?

Seems that most of the "mission" of the DOT folks seems to focus on commercial operators, however I am sure that overall safety is also a major goal as well.......so maybe "oversize RV's" are a hazard somewhat akin to out-of-adjustment slack-adjusters?

Does a DOT guy that "pinches" oversize" RV's be looked at by other LEO as a 'poacher" on their 'turf"........once again my "ignorance".....

Last question............seems that this "co-workers-reputation-preceeds-him".......and IF this may be the case..... do you think that some 'oversize-RV's" avoid this "co-workers-turf" ? ?

Drive on.......(Maybe size.......matters)

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the UK, Ireland, and the US as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant. Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the UK, Ireland, and the US as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant. Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.

Something sure smells like carp. :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

First ........I am a little gun-shy to even ask but chalk it up to ........"my ignorance"*........but it seems a bit odd that a "DOT-co-worker" seems to have a "reputation-for-"pinching"-over-size_RV's...........Is the "co-worker" "locating" "under-the-radar-quasi-RV's that are likely renegade-"horsers", sorta-commercial-racers, or semi-pro-4H'ers..........or does the "co-worker" have a sharp eye for any oversize RV?

Seems that most of the "mission" of the DOT folks seems to focus on commercial operators, however I am sure that overall safety is also a major goal as well.......so maybe "oversize RV's" are a hazard somewhat akin to out-of-adjustment slack-adjusters?

Does a DOT guy that "pinches" oversize" RV's be looked at by other LEO as a 'poacher" on their 'turf"........once again my "ignorance".....

Last question............seems that this "co-workers-reputation-preceeds-him".......and IF this may be the case..... do you think that some 'oversize-RV's" avoid this "co-workers-turf" ? ?

Drive on.......(Maybe size.......matters)

This is getting past silly. Time to use that "ignore" button...see ya

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Even if you get stopped by a LEO your attitude has a lot to do with what he's gonna do. If you treat them like crap they will treat you like crap. In an unrelated story one night I was traveling down the highway with the cruise control set on 120 (75 mph) kilometres per hour about 12 miles an hour over the speed limit. This was in a northern community where hardly any vehicles were on the road and I passed a vehicle the lights came on he turned around and pulled me over. He came up to the window and said do you know how fast you were going? I said I was doing 120 on cruise control and he had a surprised look on his face and says thanks for being honest. He had a look at my driver's license and registration said have a good night and slow down. I'm sure if I wanted that ticket I could have gotten it with a little different attitude. :)

I REALLY hope it is not a million dollar question...... :D

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Shucks.........I got "ignored" for a measly.........$37,500 :rolleyes:

Drive on..........(Enjoy the ride.......)

Archived