Length issues?

Pete Kildow

Same with SD, ND and MT. Or try WY with their 85 ft length, just don't go to OR where they say the max length is 50ft.

I know many on here that are over length, one is even pushing 80+ ft. I also know of 2 that have been cited for over length, one in Texas for 68ft. Are our trucks "capable" of towing larger trailers? Sure. Is it legal? No. Will you get stopped and cited? The odds are in your favor that you won't. Is it worth the risk to you? That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

Indeed Phil, "RV-Things" are fairly "short" in Oregon........AND do not even consider a TRIPLE-TOW........cop friend jokes a "triple-tow-pinch" is almost a sure way to make Capt.........(no microwave though....).....

ODOT Partial Reg:

The width of 8.5 feet is measured when any expansion sides or “tipouts” are in
the usual travel position. The length is measured from the foremost point of the
trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body, not including the spare tire.
Tent trailers are measured by overall length when folded for travel. Any fraction of
a foot in length is rounded down to the nearest foot.
A travel trailer may not exceed 45 feet in length. If the trailer exceeds 45 feet in length, it cannot be registered. (ODOT)
Woodalls states:
OREGON: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 45 ft.; maximum length of two-vehicle combination 65 ft. Riding in truck campers allowed. Passengers are allowed in fifth-wheel trailers if the trailer is equipped with the following: All windows are made of safety glazing materials; an auditory or visual signaling device that passengers can use to gain the attention of the motor-vehicle driver towing the vehicle; and at least one unobstructed exit capable of being opened from both the interior and exterior of the vehicle. RV Safety Requirements: All trailers must have full lighting equipment. Hitches and chains must meet SAE standards and use recommendations. Combinations of vehicles that include a motor vehicle and any other vehicle shall be equipped with a brake system on one or more of the vehicles sufficient to stop both from 20 mph without leaving a 12-foot-wide travel lane. The stopping distance must be within 25 ft. for vehicles under 8,000 GVWR, and within 35 ft. for vehicles weighing 8,000 GVWR and more. Manufacturer’s requirements must be followed on towed vehicles. Driving Laws: Headlights must be on when limited-visibility conditions exist of 1,000 feet or less. Right turn on red after stopping is allowed unless posted otherwise. More Information: Oregon Department of Transportation, Transportation Safety Division, 235 Union St. NE, Salem OR 97301; 511 or (800) 977-ODOT (6368) in state; (503) 588-2941 outside of Oregon. Emergency number: 911.
Drive on.........(Forget the RV.......bring a boat.......Oregon is a Lake today)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed Phil, "RV-Things" are fairly "short" in Oregon........AND do not even consider a TRIPLE-TOW........cop friend jokes a "triple-tow-pinch" is almost a sure way to make Capt.........(no microwave though....).....

ODOT Partial Reg:

The width of 8.5 feet is measured when any expansion sides or tipouts are in

the usual travel position. The length is measured from the foremost point of the

trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body, not including the spare tire.

Tent trailers are measured by overall length when folded for travel. Any fraction of

a foot in length is rounded down to the nearest foot.

A travel trailer may not exceed 45 feet in length. If the trailer exceeds 45 feet in length, it cannot be registered. (ODOT)

Woodalls states:

OREGON: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 45 ft.; maximum length of two-vehicle combination 65 ft. Riding in truck campers allowed. Passengers are allowed in fifth-wheel trailers if the trailer is equipped with the following: All windows are made of safety glazing materials; an auditory or visual signaling device that passengers can use to gain the attention of the motor-vehicle driver towing the vehicle; and at least one unobstructed exit capable of being opened from both the interior and exterior of the vehicle. RV Safety Requirements: All trailers must have full lighting equipment. Hitches and chains must meet SAE standards and use recommendations. Combinations of vehicles that include a motor vehicle and any other vehicle shall be equipped with a brake system on one or more of the vehicles sufficient to stop both from 20 mph without leaving a 12-foot-wide travel lane. The stopping distance must be within 25 ft. for vehicles under 8,000 GVWR, and within 35 ft. for vehicles weighing 8,000 GVWR and more. Manufacturers requirements must be followed on towed vehicles. Driving Laws: Headlights must be on when limited-visibility conditions exist of 1,000 feet or less. Right turn on red after stopping is allowed unless posted otherwise. More Information: Oregon Department of Transportation, Transportation Safety Division, 235 Union St. NE, Salem OR 97301; 511 or (800) 977-ODOT (6368) in state; (503) 588-2941 outside of Oregon. Emergency number: 911.

Drive on.........(Forget the RV.......bring a boat.......Oregon is a Lake today)

Is a travel trailer defined as a bumper pull or an all emcompassing RV Trailer in Oregon?

Dollytrolley and Big5er,

I have to respect people who can handle disagreement without being disagreeable. I find myself wanting to disagree with you.... just to see how you would reply, but ,alas, I find no point of disagreement at present. in the future, if I can find a subject, thought or idea to disagree on, I may challenge you to a duel of wits....provided you will engage an unarmed opponent. There is a wealth of knowledge and opinions available on this forum and with all the interaction there are bound to be differences of opinions, sometimes strong ones, but I appreciate the manner in which most members handle said controversy and move on to other things. I appreciate all the forum members knowledge and experience and want to learn all I can from these perspectives and experiences. All of that being said, I just want both of you to know that i appreciate the way you two handle things when you have different perspectives on them. Your posts are witty and barbed, but not insulting, and, to me, anyway, entertaining and informative. I'm sure I am not the only one who feels this way and just want to say" thank you" to both of you, and others, who contribute so much to this forum and make it so enjoyable. I hope to be able to meet both of you one day. Continue on...........(with the spirited exchange of ideas). Be safe, Charlie

Charlie.....you got me blush'in ...........trust me I'll bet Big5er will get a little-red-around-the-gills from your ........"eloquent remarks"........(as soon as he finds that Carp that I tossed-into-his-condo.......)

Tell you the truth it's kinda fun getting my "gills-flushed-out) by Big5er.......I toss the old Carp out and he finds it and pitches right back.......Big 5er has no idea what a puppy-dog he is compared to tossing even a small "gold-fish" to the Dolly-moma..........I may think I am Intelligent at times but the only time I KNOW.......I AM INTELLIGENT is when I do EXACTLY as instructed by the Dolly-moma.............

Stepping on Big5ers tail was once a pretty-grim-affair but since I have a unlimited supply of carp to toss back and forth we ........get by......

Uh-oh gotta-go now ..........time to go clean Dolly-the-paint-horse-stall...........says Dollymomma...........I say......YES, MAM......

Drive on.......(What size carp should we toss.....next)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We were recently looking at several DRV units in Kansas. One thing I noticed on several of the longer units was that the front cap was extended past the pin by more than an inch or 2. I did measure (arm measurement method) a DRV Fullhouse that the front cap extended almost 2' (tip of fingers to mid-bicep in front of the pin. The DRV website states the RV is 45' in length, but is that from pin to rear or front cap to rear?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Woodalls states:

And therein lies the problem with the internet...I got my info from this site

Just goes to show you, just cuz you read it online it ain't necessarily true. I knew I shoulda looked at Oregon's law book, I was just being lazy.

Dollytrolley and Big5er,

I have to respect people who can handle disagreement without being disagreeable.

Dang, Charlie, that's gotta be the nicest thing anyone ever said to me on this forum LOL

And it's been a LONG time since anyone said I wasn't disagreeable :)

EDIT: come to think of it, I'm pretty sure no one here has EVER said I wasn't disagreeable THANKS Charlie !! :D:lol::D

The DRV website states the RV is 45' in length, but is that from pin to rear or front cap to rear?

Jim, that is another million dollar question. I know some manufacturers used to call a trailer one thing when it actually measured longer. Guess they thought they might fool someone. I have yet to see any dealer that could actually answer your question without looking confused. Get a long tape measure and start checking. When you find something that gets close, you'll have the answer...for that model and year. If you need a tape, I have a couple of 250 ft'ers and a bunch of 100 ft'ers left over fom the old days of accident investigation. These youngsters use a laser and a tripod now. They couldn't read a tape to save their behinds....oh well ain't technology wonderful?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks guys sounds like this answers my question..

One for Big5er, our smart people in the tag offices in Tn. Love to give out commercial Tags for RV's. Yes commercial lifetime trailer tags for Rv's. Been trying to get my 35ft Tilt Goose-neck with king pin tagged. And they keep telling me $90. and life time Commercial tags.. I tell them no its private and don't want to get a ticket for having a commercial tag on a trailer. You will see hundreds of these in our County by its self. Talked to the State of Tn and same thing it needs a commercial tag.

So guessing my question to you. Say I buy a truck in Tx. Use my trailer to go winch it up on the trailer. Then come home private nothing commercial about it. But what would you do if you were to pull me over with those Tn Lifetime Commercial tags? Also thanks for all your time in answering these questions. I know you don't have to do it for us. But again Thank and if your ever in West Tn. Let me know will hook you up with some of the best Fried Tn river Catfish you have ever had. Along with my Homemade Hushpuppys.. And a cold Dr. Pepper.

Pete

event.png

Alie&Jim's Carrilite, on 13 Dec 2015 - 1:13 PM, said:snapback.png

The DRV website states the RV is 45' in length, but is that from pin to rear or front cap to rear?

Big5er says:

Jim, that is another million dollar question. I know some manufacturers used to call a trailer one thing when it actually measured longer. Guess they thought they might fool someone. I have yet to see any dealer that could actually answer your question without looking confused.

I....mumble:

OK folks......

So...... to define that "Official-Length-of-Trailer" the Oregon State Department of Transportation states: " The length is measured from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body, not including the spare tire."

So........technically..........in Oregon.... ODOT could care less how much ....."trailer-structure-is-forward-of-the-foremost-point-of-the-hitch (pin) as long as the .......COMBINED-LENGTH-of-towtruck-and-"trailer"-DO-NOT-EXCEED-65 Feet..........Whew.......

So get a cabover yard-mule with a four foot long cab....and then add one-foot of cab clearance..... then have a custom SIXTY-FOOT long RV trailer "Box-section" built with.......15 feet of "over-hang" in front of the pin.........and now "my children" you have a .......Legal 45 foot RV trailer that has SIXTY FOOT length of floor length and still falls within the combined 65 foot combined length rule as well...........Whew

Actually the above "concept" was to be the subject of a "future-thread" that was to include my self-steering RV trailer.......... I have to rest my "typing-thumbs" for a while before I start that thread......(and I'll have to get a large supply of "Carp" to ........toss around)

Drive on........(Measure from where?.... to.....where?)

Pete according to a dept of TN trailer guide, TN only has 2 types of trailer plates. If it is under 20' long not including the tongue, you would get a "Trailer E" plate and in some cases do not even need a plate. If you are 20' and longer you get a "Semi-trailer" plate, does not matter if you are commercial or not. Do those plates say "Commercial" on them? You may want to print out the TN trailer guide and keep it in your truck in case you get stopped in another state.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Pete, what kind of trailer??

Look here on Pg 361(?). There is a chart that describes the trailer and shows the type of plate. I think it is probably the chart Dave got his info from.

2014 smart Fortwo

Look here on Pg 361(?). There is a chart that describes the trailer and shows the type of plate. I think it is probably the chart Dave got his info from.

Yep and a couple more pages on page 363 they even give you pictures. If it is the type of trailer I thinking it is, you may not need any plates at all.

Dave

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

35ft Gooseneck with a king pin hitch triple axle. Looks like a rollback bed but its a tilt gooseneck trailer. I use it for private use to move a pickup turck, my Tractor, hay, lumber, logs to sawed up for lumber used by me. Have used it to tilt and use the winch to drag a 40 ft container up on it. And moved it to the river on land I own there. Just use it for about anything I need it for.

Pete

event.png

It looks like it would fall under #2, # 6 (If you are farmer) or #10, as long as you do not use for any commercial use then you do not need a plate but if you do get one, due to your length it would be a semi trailer plate. Your trailer is not an RV so cant be classified that way.

Pictures online do not show anything saying commercial on the plate, but these could be outdated:

$_1.JPG

So is your concern that you would be pulled over in another state for being commercial? Most likely yes but as long as you have the document pages printed that shows why you have a semi plate (or no plate at all) and you can prove you are not hauling anything for commercial reasons, you should be able to nicely explain yourself to the LEO that pulled you over and hopefully he will agree and let you go.

As others have said in previous forum posts, if you look like a duck the LEO is going to assume you are a duck unless you can prove otherwise with your paperwork. Since you are not pulling an RV it is going to look even more like you are commercial.

We have a similar issue, in that we have a trailer that looks like a race car trailer and we pull a show vehicle in it. I do not accept awards for it when I am going to an event with the trailer. That satisfied the customs officials when we went to Canada. There are stickers on the side of it for a business but it is not my business and I do not get any sponsorship money or items for it. I am just too lazy to take them off. It has Living Quarters in it and is titled as an RV along with our HDT and I carry the papers that shows the HDT can be registered as an RV in MN. so far we have never been pulled over with it and we even went to Houston, Texas with it (we avoided the west side of town), but it was with our dually pickup at that time!

Dave

I asked earlier in this thread if you get the ticket are you free to be on your way? Or, do they make you get a legal length vehicle to pick up your RV. If that were the case I find it funny that I would have to hookup my RV with my dually which is taxed very heavily to haul my RV....but is legal for length and weight. I feel that the government and motoring public find the HDT's more of a danger to them and couldn't be further from the truth. I can probably stop in 1/2 the distance with the Volvo vs my 1 ton dually. I have a lot invested in my setup and if it costs me a fine or two I can live with that. Maybe one day the law makers will wake up and see the benefits of what we're doing.

Rick, that probably depends on the state and what their rules are and may even be up to the discretion of the LEO. If they put you out of service for length, you may need to get a day cab or regular single axle semi tractor to pull you to the border. Of course at that time that driver will be commercial and now the length rules wont be an issue. Don't forget he may also get you for over width on the Smart if it is too wide and you might have to unload that too to continue on.

If the weight of the trailer exceeds what the pickup up can handle they most likely wont let you continue unless you can lighten the load, you will probably be at a weight station and they will be able to check it.

Hopefully unless they have had reason to pull you over, IE speeding, driving recklessly, no lights, etc... as Phil says there are not enough DOT officers around to worry about a few HDT'rs pulling their RV so your chances are hopefully minimal. Of course as there become more of us in numbers the chances may increase.

Dave

In Texas if you are not commercial you are required to post a $10,000 bond to obtain a permit.

RickS, in Texas there is no law that allows you to be "put out of service" if you are not a commercial vehicle. So in my state, you would be cited and released. Now, as soon as you move you are subject to another ticket......

2014 smart Fortwo

So being considerably less than ........."Intelligent" (guilty as charged)...... perhaps...... it begs me to ask the questions below................

QUESTION: IF a law enforcement officer issues a citation.......and.....the " perpetrator" pays the resulting fine.........just where does the money go ? ? ? Not into my pocket, and I get no more or less based on the number of citations I write so it really matters little to me, but

QUESTION: IF a fine is paid to a government concern.........would that fine "enhance" the funding of.........government? ? I would imagine so, but I am betting that taxation and other forms of revenue far outweigh the funds generated through "fines"

BTW: I never said you were less than intelligent. I said I was surprised that a person that I thought was intelligent could come up with such silly stuff.

When I mentioned the subject of fines for abusing the various laws I did not intend to besmirch any LEO's in any way whatsoever......obviously I may have hit a "nerve" and Phil called me out and thought maybe I was being....... silly ........ so.....after throwing the "carp" around a bit I said to my self........."ok, geezer, time for a silly check.......so I start looking for "fines" in the news..........

With a EPA emission scandle fines of $ 3 7, 5 0 0. 0 0 per car for way too many hundreds of thousands of cars Volkswagen seem to not consider the...... + $ 1 8, 0 0 0, 0 0 0, 0 0 0 fine a pretty "un-silly" matter............so........considering Between fiscal years 2013 and 2014, total government spending in Texas increased by approximately $8.3 billion, from $91.7 billion in fiscal year 2013 to an estimated $100 billion in 2014..........so considering the EPA fine is only .....LESS than 20% of the ENTIRE Texas State spending it seems that maybe or....maybe not the statement below might be a overview of the place that fines have in our economy........

I would imagine so, but I am betting that taxation and other forms of revenue far outweigh the funds generated through "fines"

Some investment advisors estimate that Volkswagen fines & litigation world-wide could be in the $87B to $100B range as the entire scope of the liability comes into focus.

My point is this ......it seems that 'fines" are here to stay and.....likely increase......AND back to my original question.......WHERE does the $18 BILLION go (thats way too many microwaves to imagine)

Bright side of this is that as long as huge groups of folks seem intent on flogging Volkswagen that it might be reasonable to think a bunch of over-length RV geezers might just skate by ........."un-fined".....or maybe that might be .....silly

Fines of $ 3 7, 5 0 0. 0 0 per car seems more serious than.........silly

Likely silly..........to flog-this-dog-anymore.........

Drive on.........(May all our fines be..........small)

I assumed we were talking apples to apples, I guess not. The ORIGINAL subject of fines was started in this thread it was about RV'ers being stopped, roadside, and issued citation for having an overlength vehicle. In that context you stated "As more and funding-sources are sought by government the RV may become more of a target-market for "funding-enhancement". I think that you have now twisted the application of my response way out of context. There is not and, I'd be willing to bet your horse that, there will never be a roadside citation issued for an overlength RV with a fine anywhere near $37,000.

I'm thinking the cleanser you used to wash out the Dollytrolley has gotten your thought processes a bit skewed. Wanna get back on the topic of roadside length enforcement? What the EPA fines a major corporation is not even close to what we were discussing.

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil, you mean that waiving the ticket and saying you got one 10 minutes ago...wouldn't work? I guess it could get expensive to get out of TX. :) I may need an escort through your area......and I will be stocked up on DP. ;)

Rick, I have a "special" 100ft tape measure. Usually it is used for fishing stories to make the fish measure larger, but if you turn it over it does just the opposite. For the right amount of Dr. Pepper I would gladly loan it to you :). If you get stopped you could simply say "Gee officer, I have my tape measure right here". I'm almost positive it will work for you.

I have also heard that there is a device being developed that throws doughnuts, similar to the way an airplane throws chaff.

chaff+flares.jpg

I hear they have had fairly decent success with it except with the younger officers. It appears that they have dropped the course, "Donuts 101", from the police academy curriculum.

2014 smart Fortwo

I assumed we were talking apples to apples, I guess not. The ORIGINAL subject of fines was started in this thread it was about RV'ers being stopped, roadside, and issued citation for having an overlength vehicle. In that context you stated "As more and funding-sources are sought by government the RV may become more of a target-market for "funding-enhancement". I think that you have now twisted the application of my response way out of context. There is not and, I'd be willing to bet your horse that, there will never be a roadside citation issued for an overlength RV with a fine anywhere near $37,000.

I'm thinking the cleanser you used to wash out the Dollytrolley has gotten your thought processes a bit skewed. Wanna get back on the topic of roadside length enforcement? What the EPA fines a major corporation is not even close to what we were discussing.

Big5er:

I would imagine so, but I am betting that taxation and other forms of revenue far outweigh the funds generated through "fines"

My final reply:

Likely silly..........to flog-this-dog-anymore.........

So........perhaps "related" to "Length Issues"...........In the "nearly-under-water-state"......of Oregon...... if you trot into the DMV and ask for a Over-Length-Permit for your RV the ......"official" will give you a rather "sheep-like-glare" and say......"Over-Length-Permits are not issued for RV's in Oregon........."

As I seem to recall maybe a few states will issue 'Over-size-permits" to RV's but it seems most states likely will not...........

I would imagine that Commercial Oversize Permits assume many factors that will likely not factor into RV operations.

The resource guide seems a bit fuzzy on "Oversize" ......normal limits are addressed....

Drive on..........(Carry a "custom" .......tape measure)

LOL!!! :) Since, I'm in a parts type business that may be something that could be sold at all the HDT rallies. Just add an inch per foot and that should pretty much cover anyone over 65ft. ;) Now the chaff machine may be a little more difficult but doable.

Rick, I have a "special" 100ft tape measure. Usually it is used for fishing stories to make the fish measure larger, but if you turn it over it does just the opposite. For the right amount of Dr. Pepper I would gladly loan it to you :). If you get stopped you could simply say "Gee officer, I have my tape measure right here". I'm almost positive it will work for you.

I have also heard that there is a device being developed that throws doughnuts, similar to the way an airplane throws chaff.

chaff+flares.jpg

I hear they have had fairly decent success with it except with the younger officers. It appears that they have dropped the course, "Donuts 101", from the police academy curriculum.

Big5er....

Now that's .........."silly-done-well" ;)

Drive on...........(Donuts R us.......)

Archived