FL to AZ - things to see/places to stay

jrzygrl64

Hubby and I will be leaving FL at the end of Jan - heading to AZ - along Rt 10, which appears to be the most direct. We want to stop in New Orleans, San Antonio and Carlsbad Caverns. Anything else noteworthy that's a must-see? We plan to take 2 to 3 weeks to make the trip.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

After Carlsbad Caverns get back on I-10 and 40 miles east of Tucson, AZ is Benson. There you will find Kartchner Caverns State Park (nice campground) and you can take a tour of Kartchner Caverns. These are completely different than Carlsbad. Kartchner has a very interesting background of discovery and the state put a lot of money into preserving the caverns. They are still growing meaning you'll see a lot of wet dripping formations unlike Carlsbad. The lighting is awesome as is the tour...we gave them so we're partial. :)

While in Benson you could also stay at the Escapee Co-op park, Saguaro. It is a wonderful park with lovely landscaping at the sites and lots of activities. If you're not a member of Escapees they are running a week special for non-members - $50/week full hookup w/cable. You'll love it so much you can sign up right there to become a member of Escapees and utilize all their parks!

http://skpsaguaro.org/special-offers.html

2-3 weeks. Maybe 2 months. BTW I hate I 10. Stop in Summerdale, AL at the SKP park. Visit the model railroad display at the Foley Railroad Depot. Walking tour of the downtown. Gulf Shores for a great beach. Fairhope again walk around town. Then I 10 and stop at Battleship Park for the USS Alabama and USS Drum tours. Then Bellingrath Gardens. After the Big Easy turn south to Cajun country around Abbeville then south on LA 35 to 82 then north to Port Arthur. Texas routes 72 and 126 along the Bolivar Penninsula to Galveston via the free ferry ride. Continue through to Freeport then start swinging north and Fort Davis and the observatory. Now back to I 10. Go to the SKP Park in Lakewood(using US 285) NM between Carlsbad and Artesia. West to Alamogordo and back to I 10 in Las Cruces. on to Deming.

That's a start to get you thinking.

Bill

Cattlemen's Steakhouse north of Fabens, TX (just east of El Paso). Go north from the Fabens exit approx. 5 miles to the steakhouse. Excellent steak and Texas barbecue and you can spend the night in their gated and secure parking area. A little creative leveling is required but it is a great experience touring their zoo and grounds.

National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL is an awesome place to visit. It is FREE but huge. Taking the guided tour is the best as we had a retired captain who piloted several of the planes during his service to our country. Be sure to arrive early and sign up for a boarding time for the trolley tour (or whatever they call the outside part of the tour - where the really large planes are) as the slots go quickly - we missed out on this part of the tour.

I recommend visiting Big Bend NP, but only if you have 5 nights to 2 weeks to spend there. There is lots of hiking and sightseeing from the road. Jan/Feb is usually a great time to visit. Usually bright sunny days with highs in the 60's and 70's and nights down to a light frost. Dry camp at the NP campground at Rio Grande Village.

In West Texas near I-10 is Balmorhea State Park. This is a great place to Camp and outside Swim/Soak. We stayed for a few days and went to the McDonald Observatory.

Swim One of the world’s largest spring-fed pools, with water so crystal clear you’ll want to bring your snorkeling gear to experience the underwater world below.

The pool is open daily; swimmers pay only the park entry fee. No lifeguard is on duty. More than 15 million gallons of water flow through the pool each day, gushing from the San Solomon Springs. The pool is up to 25 feet deep, covers 1.75 acres, and holds 3.5 million gallons of water. The water temperature stays at 72 to 76 degrees year-round.

Area Attractions

Archived