Talk me out of it guys

Broncohauler

It might be worth your time to spend a couple of days in northern Indiana and tour or talk to some of the sleeper and TC manufacturers, or at least do a thorough utube and net search for their build processes. It's been several years but I did the research and tours ICT and ICT build million mile sleepers and float them in suspension systems. The TC builders mount solid to the truck frame, Showhauler uses a full steel cage frame, Renegade uses a steel frame and foam sandwich composite sidewall on their units and Haulmark I don't remember but I think it's an Aluminum framed sandwich construction. The TC builders used to build on used chassis and then re title them to the year the conversion was done.

My TC was built on a new Freightliner by Transport Designs. Steve Mattie, the owner is super to work with. I'm a happy customer.

http://transportdesigns.com/all-products/motor-coaches/

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bronc....

Ok I just had a luke-warm Dr Pepper so...........how about a recycle TC.....take a gander....

https://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/5298382628.html

Ok .....Yes it is NOT a Pete...........NO PROBLEM.........just yank the house off the old "Shaker" and sell the "Shaker" to anyone.........

Next "toss" the box in the Pete and Re-Work to your hearts content then put the remaining $50,000 into.........more Lake-Toys........

Paint it "green'.....tell folks you......recycle.....

Drive on..........(Recycle.......whatever color)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dollytrolley YYHHaaaaaaa..... Like that Freightliner. The way it was done, the cost of building was a lot less the 100 K OU812

OU,

Ya know all kidding aside......a friend of mine looked at the unit and he Loved the layout and really liked the big rear bath and Back Door / Side Door .....

We have a place about 20 miles North of where this unit is but we are taking care of the mother in law about 220 miles North and I am not sure when we might get back to Bend......(Bend is about 20 miles North of La Pine, where the Freightshaker is).....

I was told that it looked like a fairly nice build quality........could be a good head-start "House" for a Update / Re-model..........

Price is really right........

Ponder......

Drive on.........(Head start .....box)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Bronc....

Ok I just had a luke-warm Dr Pepper so...........how about a recycle TC.....take a gander....

https://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/5298382628.html

Ok .....Yes it is NOT a Pete...........NO PROBLEM.........just yank the house off the old "Shaker" and sell the "Shaker" to anyone.........

Next "toss" the box in the Pete and Re-Work to your hearts content then put the remaining $50,000 into.........more Lake-Toys........

Paint it "green'.....tell folks you......recycle.....

Drive on..........(Recycle.......whatever color)

I saw that add a few months back and That's a real good price. I had the same idea about swapping trucks. The one problem I see with the interior is the bunk beds. I would have a big fight trying to figure out who would get the top bunk

I saw that add a few months back and That's a real good price. I had the same idea about swapping trucks. The one problem I see with the interior is the bunk beds. I would have a big fight trying to figure out who would get the top bunk

Bronc,

Indeed what you see is........what a truck-driver sees.......

You and I worry too much........just invoke.......WWWD......(What Would Wife Do)

I have a HUGE advantage and........DISADVANTAGE.........I live with a high-end interior / exterior designer.......

So........I summon the "Designer" over to view your post and look at the craigslist TC "Shaker" Ad......

"Designer" glanced at the pics and smiled and said........"What bunk beds?........I do NOT see ANY furniture at ALL.......Why would you have any Bed at all........Until "Bed-Time" when you simply push the ........"Bed-Button" and the ..........bed simply levitates down from the ceiling......

'Designer" says....."Bronc worries too much........his "designer" will make his TC into the magic-carpet beyond his dreams........Bronc just needs to keep driving that paint truck hard.........."IT-IS-NOT-NICE-WHEN-A-DESIGNER runs LOW on PAINT!!!!!!

When we got married she had in-stock .......370 gallons of...."sample colors".........S&W would EVERY six months send her the Master-Color-Kit.....this kit cost S & W more than your new truck..........On a "medium size ......"Re-Fresh" her S & W billing would cost more than most folks homes......

"Designer" grinned and said....."Tell, Bronc.........just get the TC "Box" cleared out and let the "Designer" make his "space" perfect.....Bronc just needs to drive, wax, & polish, the truck and ........enjoy.......

Whew.........see how simple that was Bronc............what are you going to do with all the extra money left over..........

Drive on......(Stay out of the designers......way)

Bronc,

Indeed what you see is........what a truck-driver sees.......

You and I worry too much........just invoke.......WWWD......(What Would Wife Do)

I have a HUGE advantage and........DISADVANTAGE.........I live with a high-end interior / exterior designer....

"Designer" glanced at the pics and smiled and said........"What bunk beds?........I do NOT see ANY furniture at ALL.......Why would you have any Bed at all........Until "Bed-Time" when you simply push the ........"Bed-Button" and the ..........bed simply levitates down from the ceiling......

'Designer" says....."Bronc worries too much........his "designer" will make his TC into the magic-carpet beyond his dreams...

"Designer" grinned and said....."Tell, Bronc.........just get the TC "Box" cleared out and let the "Designer" make his "space" perfect.....Bronc just needs to drive, wax, & polish, the truck and ........enjoy.......

Whew.........see how simple that was Bronc............what are you going to do with all the extra money left over..........

Drive on......(Stay out of the designers......way)

Bronco, be careful, interior designers are wannabe architects. Architects just want to build their monument to the world and spend other peoples money. Interior designers just like to make things look "pretty". Neither seem to care about how you build it and at what cost. It's the structural engineers that make it happen. As you have noticed, some of us forum members just love to spend other peoples money so they can be the trial people.

Take Dollys designers comments about just cleaning out the TC and making it what you want. No concern over where existing plumbing and electrical is or weight concerns. Sure it can be moved for a price and time!

In my case I am a designer, fabricator, the end user and the bank ( although the DW has veto powers on spending budget if I tell the truth there). I have to be able to make want I want for what I can design and spend.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I do like the idea of just let my wife and the builder handle the interior my wife and I have the same taste anyway.

I just won't sign the check until I know the truck Axle out OK when fully loaded.

On a sidenote as I'm waiting for my truck to be preloaded for tonight's deliveries. I really really hate I shift transmissions for pulling an 80,000 pound load out of an uphill loading dock.

The truck goes into clutch protection mode and becomes very jerky very hard to not dump your load

Maybe this question is a bit-of-a-sidejack.......(instead of a Hi-Jack) but......the question is........Bronc, suppose you did drive up to La Pine Oregon and dickered the price on the Freaight-Shaker TC to $16,431.26 and the owner signed the title (Motorhome) to you and you hopped in the ole "Shaker" ......(And found out what you had been missing all of those ......"Pete-Years".......no....just kidding)..........Anyhow WHAT would happen when you got to the window of the CA DMV with your new Oregon Titled & Registered "Motor Home" but the CA DMV Vin# program says CLASS 8 Commercial TRUCK............

What would happen? ? ?

Drive on...........(Keep mud on your ........License Plate?)

Dollytrolley " Bed-Button" ????? From the celling...!!!!!!. Did it deflate and inflate to give more head room and comfort ???? HA.... HA.... Well I looked at bed that folded up in to the wall, for more s[ace in the bed room, so I didn't have to be so long. WWWD....HO NO !!! CA DMV ...you never know..... Charli Front bed/ fresh water tank and a rear living room. 200 gal. of fresh water is a LOT of water and weight. The balance of the unit is what is going make the unit drive good. It is just like when you have a load that has all the weight on one axel, and not equal over all. In most pull trailers to much weight to the rear....fish tail. The truck is the same ..to much on front axel... hard to steer. What heavy Items are in the plan behind the rear axels.? How much body over hang is in the plan? With a front bed room, where is the location of the entry door? The bed in the celling........where dose the water tank go..? Truck plans are very interesting to say the least. Keep the ideas coming...... :) OU812 ​

Dollytrolley " Bed-Button" ????? From the celling...!!!!!!. Did it deflate and inflate to give more head room and comfort ???? HA.... HA.... Well I looked at bed that folded up in to the wall, for more s[ace in the bed room, so I didn't have to be so long. WWWD....HO NO !!! CA DMV ...you never know..... Charli Front bed/ fresh water tank and a rear living room. 200 gal. of fresh water is a LOT of water and weight. The balance of the unit is what is going make the unit drive good. It is just like when you have a load that has all the weight on one axel, and not equal over all. In most pull trailers to much weight to the rear....fish tail. The truck is the same ..to much on front axel... hard to steer. What heavy Items are in the plan behind the rear axels.? How much body over hang is in the plan? With a front bed room, where is the location of the entry door? The bed in the celling........where dose the water tank go..? Truck plans are very interesting to say the least. Keep the ideas coming...... :) OU812 ​

Dollytrolley has sent me a spread sheet to help with the weights. But to be honest balancing the wait is my biggest concern andi'm really hoping I can lean on You TC owners for help with figuring this out because at this time I really don't know the weight of each individual item other than the weight of water.

As for the entry door that already is a problem because with the current floor plan I would either have 13 feet of overhang behind the rear tandems or need to add at least 13 feet to my wheelbase and only about a foot of overhang

OU,

Here is the Bed ......Down

DSF4252.jpg?w=640

Here is the bed going .........going......going .....UP

DSF4357.jpg?w=640

Bed is........UP!!!

DSF4394.jpg?w=640

OK ......OU......if you are a ......"Bad-boy"....... the wife just pushes the bed button and........you are the......"ceiling-inspector"

All kidding aside.......we have seen the Trek motor homes with the bed in the UP position and it make a small motor home HUGE inside!!

Drive on........(Don't press the "Bed-button" while.........in bed)

Dollytrolley has sent me a spread sheet to help with the weights. But to be honest balancing the wait is my biggest concern andi'm really hoping I can lean on You TC owners for help with figuring this out because at this time I really don't know the weight of each individual item other than the weight of water.

As for the entry door that already is a problem because with the current floor plan I would either have 13 feet of overhang behind the rear tandems or need to add at least 13 feet to my wheelbase and only about a foot of overhang

Bronc,

Hang in there with me for a minute or two......

While you likely think Weight is what you are worried about, if you focus out a bit it is likely to be Balance that you are "Concerned-about" and then the actual shifting of your various "Weights" (Mass) is your major 'Concern"..........Whew....

Anyhow.......Back in the "stone-age" ......"We" sometimes would "Design-Build" a certain "Project" that was almost always "Time-Critical" and many times was ......."Too-well-funded" (Cash)........Dream come true........maybe NOT.......be careful what you wish for

...... anyhow with just a concept 'sketch" to work from the "Big-Brain-Geeks" would start with a very rough guess-t-a-mated Weight & Balance listing AND...... then as the 'Vision" became more "Defined" then the Weight & Balance becomes more and more "Refined" as the "project" progressed.......the point here is that the first , second and third refinements of the Weight & Balance listing led the way to help refine the rest of the "project".

Once we did a "project-turbine-aircraft" in 54 days TOTAL and $$$$$$$$$$ and it was within weight and very well balanced....

It seems to me that most of the folks here on the forum seem to tend to over-detail a "project" on the front-end and seem to often have less than desired results on the far-end......

Just something(s) to ponder......

Drive on........(Refine at will.....)

Broncohauler - have you asked the company you posted about : ( "...The other gamble is the builder has made a lot of trailers for racers and Hollywood movie studios but this is only his second motorhome to my knowledge. His first he built for a friend of mine which came out beautiful on a historical Kenworth chassis eight years ago.
He's very Easy to work with the only one I can find in California. And the price I think we can work out to hopefully be fair for both of us. .... ")

What engineering and weight distribution process they use to build the race team and movie vehicles?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Broncohauler - have you asked the company you posted about : ( "...The other gamble is the builder has made a lot of trailers for racers and Hollywood movie studios but this is only his second motorhome to my knowledge. His first he built for a friend of mine which came out beautiful on a historical Kenworth chassis eight years ago.

He's very Easy to work with the only one I can find in California. And the price I think we can work out to hopefully be fair for both of us. .... ")

What engineering and weight distribution process they use to build the race team and movie vehicles?

? looks good from my house?

Actually that's a very good question I will be discussing with them Their specialty is stacker trailers.

Let me say this being only their second motorhome is a little scary obviously. But the trailers they do build and I've seen them from bare frame to completion to rejuvenating them five years down the road.

The construction and the welds look top-notch.

I'm hoping they're going to give me a smoking deal if so it's worth the gamble. And trust me I'll be checking in quite a bit to watch all the construction goes.

Another thought I had was to get them to build the box out the electrical and plumbing and possibly take it to the trailer manufacturer that's nearby who built my toy hauler and let them finish out the interior. They may also be able to help with some of the weights seeing how I'm basically copying their floor plan from my existing trailer.

Bronc.......

Just spit-balling here so hang on.......

I am "captured" this winter helping to take care of the 88 yr old memory-loss mother-in-law..... up on a bluff, in a house with Killer views of the Columbia River in Rainier Oregon watching ships, barges, tugs, dredges and everything else float by.........so I have some time to doodle-a-bit...

What if.......you were to jot down the measurements of the old Pete and each axle position and weights then consider how long a "house" you would like to drop-on-the-Pete........water tanks , fresh, grey, black, hotwater, fridge size, generator, propane, Booze, you-name-it........you know the drill......I can find weights that will likely work for a good guess-t-a-mate.........

What I can do is .....run some Weight and Balance plots of various configurations just to give you some ideas of what things could look like.......

How close will the numbers be........don't worry ....we can always drop by the liquor store if we clock in a bit too light..........

Are you game?

Drive on.........(Numbers?.....who has the numbers?)

Mike that is very very generous of you.

Im going to wait for the builder to get back with his bid and see what kind of numbers he has and then I'll get with you.

No point in going into this too far without making sure it's affordable.

And I totally appreciate and understand what you're going through with your mother-in-law.

We lost my 90-year-old mother last January. Who spent 12 years with no short-term memory after a simple surgery gone bad. she couldn't remember if she ate breakfast five minutes ago.

Right now were dealing with my father in law Who is only 74yrs old. He has stage 4 COPD, cancer , and problems with his bone marrow causing him to have blood transfusions every three weeks. Luckily he lives less than a mile from our house although it would be a lot easier if he just lived with us but stubborn old guy wants to be home.

My wife luckily has a good job and is able to spend a lot of time with her dad and I have an awesome 24 year old son who's moving into a granny flat on his property to help with taking care of him.

My father-in-law was an aerospace welder for both General Electric and another company here in San Diego that did a lot of parts for the space shuttle working in a closed clean room with little to no ventilation.

My brother-in-law worked for the same company he died last year of lung cancer after only having it for one month at the age of 43.

So I totally appreciate what it is you're going through with your mother-in-law and it's a really great thing to give back like that. Charlie

Whhoooooooo. !!!!!..... Like that bed.. very much The extra floor space when up, is grate.... "every inch counts" For me to put a "Bed Button" in, I would need to get shorter (under 5 FT) . My wall are about 80 inches tall, inside. And then what would I do with my 93 gal. fresh water tank? Every lay out and needs are different when building. Making a list is a way to keep the cost down and still get what you want. That is what makes it so interesting to build. Some things I thought I needed and later took them out. Dishwasher, washer/dryer got replaced with cabinets.(storage for the aluminum smashed cans and bladder boxes). The last few weeks have been a challenge.. Took a close friend that is not to drive, on a 5 day, 1400 mile round trip to her school mate funeral. One of my coffee shop buds passed two weeks ago suddenly (shock) . We got a call this morning that a close working friend of ours is in the hospital, hart, and kidney problems. We all have our challenges, Sounds to me, on the weight and balance, that a 30 ft. box is going to be needed to get the room that is needed. And wheel base.... maybe a 220 +/- wheel base. The rear living room is would to be 8wide X 8 / 10 long??? But how to get some weight to the rear, ?????? All I got back behind the axels are gen , propane tanks, batteries. Waste water tank, you can't count on much of weight. ???? Maybe this more help then you want. OU812

Ou812 I'll take all the advice people want to give ,weigh out all my options and go from there.

I went and looked at some Seneca super C motorhome's today. And was not real impressed. Especially the fact that they have hydraulic not airbrakes.

Also looked at a couple travel trailers that had the front bedroom rearward living room with double slides and they look really nice and are right down the alley for what I want.

But are 30 foot which will make me too long.

I need to try to stay around 26 feet which will make my truck 40 foot overall the max I can drive on a lot of the roads that I'm on and will still be really close on overall length with the trailer I'm gonna need to pull behind it.

And to be clear when I say I was looking at a travel trailer I was only looking at the floor plans not to buy one.

Charlie All joking aside I'll jump in this project agene. A little more info, please.. What I've gotten so far is Peterbilt model 377 with N-14, stick trans., three axel, with sleeper. What is...... the year, the distance from front bumper to back of sleeper ,and from front bumper to middle if front tire (spindle). You would like a 26 ft. box with a front bedroom, bathroom next, kitchen and a back living room, With two chairs and a couch across the back. and windows. NO pass through. You want to pull a 25 ft. stacker trailer. Now on the model 377 Pete. isn't the cab narrow, with cab exhaust stacks on each side of the cab? Is the sleeper a bolt on? A option is to remove the sleeper...!!! You know it is like putting 10 lb. in a five pound sack. You have to get it just in the wright spot so it will go in.....Ha....HA.... Now backing into a camp spot to get a better view.. I totally understand that. I have (storage now) a 26 ft. Wells Cargo ,height top trailer, floor to roof inside is 10 ft. I would back into a spot and let the door rear down to walk out on, tie it off, for a 9 ft. deck .on the back of the trailer. Worked for me and wife. What kind of a wheel base are you thinking about? How much body over hang, in the back? Ground clearance? Why do you need 200 gal of fresh water...... long showers, hot tub. washing vehicle's, out side showers, to make your own lake.....?? How many people are going to be traveling, most of the time, in the TC. Our TC is made for two, with option to pull the couch out for two more to sleep a short time. Need more room ...... we .go to the trailer, 26 ft. trailer with 16 ft. clear in the back with the car out. The trailers first 10 ft. is for a cooler for aluminum cans and wine boxes. hate to leave anything at home............Now do you really be live that..!!!! Have I told you about fuel mileage. Ha..... Ha... Trying to come up with some ides to get you together and on the road.... OU812

When you consider a facility to change a wheel base a simple test is to ask them if "correcting the Ackerman angles is included in the quote?"

If they reply, "The what?..." probly investigate further before dropping off your 377 :wub: . If they say, "No, because we can get them with the parts your truck has...or it's real close..." the shop should be good to go ...

Frames can be extended properly as Big Trucks like our oilfield bed trucks have triple rails, spliced in length (the finished truck can be 50ft and up long) - but it should be done according to the OEM recommendations - often available in their body builder manual. There is a correct way to build the splice, preheat the rail etc

But before you do any of the above once you decide how long your finished 377 motorhome will be (likely 41ft?) you can play around with wheelbase...

Using a formula (I posted a hand calculated one on this forum but took some heckling because it's not a 'puter spread sheet) you can play with moving around 1000lbs and watch how weight transfers - and transfers from front to rear and vice versa much more quickly the longer you make the wheelbase.

NOW is when you take up Dolleytrolley on his most generous offer and start the fun stuff - playing with the design of the body within the overall length you want - plugging in all kinds of numbers in the spreadsheet to get the weight distribution just right -

Like house renovating it really isn't danger until you knock down a wall :lol:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived