Cummins ISL350 Filter Change Question

NJ-Ron

Greetings,

Had the pleasure of doing my first oil change on my new 2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623. Quite a difference between the 6 qt. plus on my old gasser and 24 plus qts on this 8.9 L Diesel.

Any way the oil change went OK, had to get a new oil filter wrench to handle the larger filter and a larger drain pan to handle all that oil. While I was in maintenance mode I thought I would tackle the fuel filter, water separator and hydraulic filters. The fuel filters went fairly well although it wasn't an easy job getting the old filters off in such cramped quarters.

My problem came with the hydraulic filter (the reason I wanted to change this also was because I couldn't find any maintenance records for the last time these filters were changed and wanted a base line to go forward with) I used the same procedure I have used before on my boat for changing that oil filter, I first wrap the filter with a zip-lock bag in order to catch any spillage. As soon as I got the filter loose, and that was no easy task, oil started oozing out, but non stop. I quickly tightened the filter back up. I then looked for some kind of in-line shut off but couldn't find one, am I not seeing it or is there some other procedure for changing this filter ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and sorry for all the words to get to the point......!

Ron

Ron
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
2008 Honda CRV
Currently Snowbirds - Ft. Myers Beach - Florida Keys

Hi Ron - I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you on how to shut off the hydraulic to change out this filter.

So many of the RV's have Coach Manufacturer specific ways of hanging fuel filters, hydraulic filters, etc. - that you may get a quicker answer by posting under IRV2 Newmar Owner section. They would at least know if Newmar had included away to do this.

Sometimes the chassis manufacture mades this determination, with coordination with the end Coach Manufacturers input. So checking in with Spartan(?) (Or Freightliner?) section might also yield an answer.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Hi Ron - I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you on how to shut off the hydraulic to change out this filter.

So many of the RV's have Coach Manufacturer specific ways of hanging fuel filters, hydraulic filters, etc. - that you may get a quicker answer by posting under IRV2 Newmar Owner section. They would at least know if Newmar had included away to do this.

Sometimes the chassis manufacture mades this determination, with coordination with the end Coach Manufacturers input. So checking in with Spartan(?) (Or Freightliner?) section might also yield an answer.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Thanks Smitty, I'll give Spartan a call and see if they have an answer.

I always try this forum first with any questions I may have, always have had pretty good results in the past.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Ron

Ron
2008 Honda CRV

According to RVTechMag.com there usually isn't any shutoff for the hydraulic fluid and changing the filter requires being quick to change the filter and something to catch the spillage. As stated in the article it can be a "messy" process.

Ron

Ron
2008 Honda CRV

I've read about some MH owners installing a 1/4-turn ball valve in the line while changing your first hyd filter. Makes future changes much easier.

I'm lucky, my hyd filter is inside the oil reservoir, I pump out the oil, change filter, refill with new oil-as recommended by Spartan.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived