Can this be fixed or just replaced?

Brad & Jacolyn

Hi guys,

I'm still having the air leak in the fuel system causing hard starting and white smoke. Some of you know about it already. In another post I asked about service in FL. that is not listed in the resource guide. I got one name and a couple suggestions. Thanks. When I went back looking again I found what I'm showing in the picture. Is this a replace the fuel lines problem OR can a clamp of some type be put on the lines and stop any air leak? I found 3 - 4 collars like the one shown in the same condition on the fuel lines. Thanks.

Brad

post-17796-0-74016900-1449322763_thumb.jpg

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

From that pic, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. My eyes are pretty crappy though. Is there any sign of fuel seepage?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Seems like a fairly common pinch clamp, so I'd head down to a good hardware so and try that. You'll need the proper tool to "pinch/crimp" it as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=103uibs

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pinch-clamp-pincers/=103ulz2

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Brad,

If what I'm seeing is correct, the collar is split. I'm no expert but think I'd just replace. For me wouldn't want a fuel line with an "iffy" repair.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Fuel lines swell over time on the inside also breakdown on the inside causing all kinds of problems.

If it's at a point that the collet is cracking like that I would definitely replace the entire line. And take a good look at the rest of your lines if you don't know how long they been on the truck generally over a half 1,000,000 miles you need to start thinking about replacing them. IMO

I agree with Bronco. I don't know what the "real" lifetime of the fuel lines are - I would expect it relates to the quality of the line. But I DO know that they degrade and can cause issues. And since you have issues I'd start to replace the lines that look real bad, over time. Rather than attempt any repair that is more than temporary. That is the philosophy I apply to my truck, anyways.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Maybe time to replace line as there could be a problem with the fitting. Trying to get old crimp off to recrimp would be apita. You most likely need to take that end off to fix crimp so just take the other end off while you are at it.

With the age of vehicle I think is time to replace the fuel line.

Safe Travels, Vern

Brad;

If you were broken down somewhere, then the clamp fix, or anything else that would work temporarily would be acceptable. Sounds like you're OK for the moment, so I'd recommend a replacement.

The collet that you see split is installed with a crimping machine. Hand applied clamps will work but generally don't develop sufficient clamping pressure to serve as a permanent fix. Most Napa stores or any other parts house that makes hydraulic hoses could make that hose up in a few minutes. Just be sure that they understand that it is a fuel hose...it matters. Check for Metric vs SAE fittings. And be sure one end has a swivel fitting so you can actually install the dern thing

Good luck

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

What Paul said is correct.

I was stranded on the side of the road last year with a hole in a fuel line. I was able to use some hydraulic hose from Napa to get me by until I could get home and replace it. If I remember right, the OE hose (From Freightliner) was like $30. It was about 3 feet long too. Mine has the re-useable "aero-quip" style ends, which I was lucky to have had, since the Napa did not have the correct crimp on fittings.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Yea, those are the fancy Voss fuel fittings so they'll be Volvo hoses. Your standard Parker store isn't going to be able to make them up. If you have the time and a good fitting man you could yard it all out and replace with 45 flare that would use a normal aramid hose and fittings but I'm not sure it is worth it. All depends on your goals I guess.

Brad,

Looked back at your sig and found the answers to a couple of questions I had in the PM.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I would def R&R those fuel lines, that pic with the broken collar says it all in my book, don't cheap out on fuel lines, ain't worth taking the chance for more trouble down the road.

01, Volvo 770

08, 41' KZ New Vision Triple Slide, Triple Axle Toy Hauler 5ver. 5th Airborne Air ride Pin Box

2009 Rag Top Smart Car

FullTimers since 01

USAF CMSgt. Ret.

http://enophile.blogspot.com/

Remember, If you find yourself in a fair fight, Your tactics suck!!

I would def R&R those fuel lines, that pic with the broken collar says it all in my book, don't cheap out on fuel lines, ain't worth taking the chance for more trouble down the road.

Enophite,

Love the last line in your signature. Words to live by, lol.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived