OUCH! This Hurts.....

RandyA

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a horz gas powered splitter. Was almost done prepping wood for next season. 32 cord.

All the best with the surgery.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Ouch!

15 years ago I almost lost my left thumb using a come-along that came unsprung. The cable jumped up and ripped thru my thumb. Cut thru nerves, tendons and shattered the bone. While in the E/R, I think I met everybody in the hospital as they had to come by and take a look at my hand. Since the nerves where cut thru there was no pain ..... at that time. I finally agreed to a shot of morphine but that was only to settle my wife down. Some reason she seemed to be in more pain than me. Of course the best part was we were out of state visiting family for the Thanksgiving weekend.

Over the course of a year it took 4 surgeries and physical therapy/rehab 2 to 3 times a week to get going again. Trying to work ( I am in IT ) was fun too with only one hand. The drugs suck too. Like you said being knocked out all the time is no fun but sometimes it is the only way to get thru it.

Look at the bright side, while it may be your nose picking finger that is injured, at least you are able to use an alternate finger. It is good to have backups! And while no one want to shake your hand because of the new "picking" finger, they probably will not be willing to touch the TV remote either after you.

I will say this, it does get better even though it may not be a lot of fun getting there. If you have to have physical therapy/rehab, do it even if when it hurts (within reason) and start as soon as they will let you start. Most importantly don't lie to your physical therapists and tell her/him you are doing your exercises if you are not. They will know. When I would go in for therapy they would first have me (and many other patients) sit at this table where they would wrap the injury in this bean bag that had been soaking in hot water. It was the best part of going to PT. So as you would sit around this table for 20m letting your hand soak in the warmth of the bean bag you would talk to the other patients doing the same thing waiting to see their PT. The one thing they would all complain about is they all though their PT was a saddest and got off on inflicting pain on their patients. This was not my experience at all. So towards the end of my first month of PT I asked my therapist if she could tell when I was and was not doing my exercises. She said yes and the way she saw it was if you want to lie and tell you have done them when you have not been she would treat you like you have, knowing it was going to hurt. But if you were honest she would then find out why you have not. With me she understood that sometimes I would have to work to meet a deadline and that would cut in to the time for my exercises. She did not like it but understood, I still had to make a living but she would modify the PT to accommodate my situation. Going in to PT the fear was I was going to have both my knuckles in my thumb fused and unmovable. In the end I got full range in one knuckle (limited due to lack of skin when they could not save from the injury) but very limited movement in other knuckle that ultimately I lost due to lack of use because of not being able to fully use the range in the other knuckle. But thanks to PT my scar you have to look for and the only reason people know or remember my injury is because they get confused when I am only able to give the 1 1/2 thumbs up instead of 2.

Sounds like we have quite a few members in the damaged digits club here on the HDT fourm. So as the newest member welcome. Like I said it does get better. And remember cleaning your alternate picking finger on the TV remote will help ensure that the TV will always be on the channel you want.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Yah. Me too. A wind gust slammed a door on my hand and nipped off the end of my middle finger. Picked it up and walked into the house...Honey, gotta problem...! Actually I was just happy it hadn't got my whole hand. it slammed so hard it would have crushed the bones.

Worst looking hand injury I personally saw was my Dad. He was working on a shop vac and plugged it in to test it. The blower motor leaped right out of the housing and started dancing around on the table. He tried to grab it and throw it on the ground; the metal blades tore his hand all to shreds. He ended up recovering full use...miraculously.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Yah. Me too. A wind gust slammed a door on my hand and nipped off the end of my middle finger. Picked it up and walked into the house...Honey, gotta problem...! Actually I was just happy it hadn't got my whole hand. it slammed so hard it would have crushed the bones.

Worst looking hand injury I personally saw was my Dad. He was working on a shop vac and plugged it in to test it. The blower motor leaped right out of the housing and started dancing around on the table. He tried to grab it and throw it on the ground; the metal blades tore his hand all to shreds. He ended up recovering full use...miraculously.

Just as bad... saw a guy that grabbed a router that jumped off a table when plugged in.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

OMG, cringe...25k rpm would really tear things up. The new Bosch one I got is a slow start, no jerking like the 2.5 hp Porter Cable.

It was UGLY... I would rather deal with a stab or hollow point gunshot than hamburger meat. He kept the hand, I imagine he has feeling back in it now, 15yrs later.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I hope your doing better. Things will take longer to do for awhile. Your winter trip will help being in a warmer climate.

A lot of us have had things happen but still keep going. Some times things heal faster , but sometimes it takes a lot long than one wishes.

I have been collecting parts for my air assist cutch system like you did, but will not get to it until January. Trying to squeeze a fridge into a DRV at the moment.

I have a modulating valve from a Volvo that I am thinking about using for air control on the cylinder. Just something to think about.

Safe Travels, Vern

Doc cut it open again, cleaned off the bone ends and drilled in two SS pins to hold them in place. Sewed it back up for a second time and sent me home with a hand splint and no exception instructions to leave it alone until I go back on the 22nd. But, IMHO, it is doing well and does not prohibit me from typing on the keyboard or driving the Volvo (as long as I don't hit the turn signal lever with my bad pinky when turning the wheel <_< .) Life's good - I can "Keep on Rolling!"

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Paul, no trouble jiggling wires but picking my nose is difficult. I now have to use my right litttle finger - no one wants to shake hands with me now <_< .

Randy, I like the fact that in spite of the "painful situation" you can coolly asses the practicality of the situation

Why not start a morbid thread called "Injuries" and post pics plus info re injury, treatment and recovery.

Roger, the idea has some merit, particularly with this advanced age crowd chock full of medical "challenges". I myself am "fixin' to have bilateral knee replacement in the February/ March time frame. The only reason I mention it is because there is a new method of doing these (operation is about 35 minutes each knee). I would suggest to my fellow gimps that if you are considering having you knees replaced look up this site. http://www.conformis.com/ Only an engineering mind can appreciate it a say, "that is a beautiful thing, I really want a pair of these".

Randy, since you are in "recovery" and apparently not on drugs, I am assuming that new words of wisdom on some challenge will not be forthcoming, therefore I feel that I need to pick up a mantle to keep this crowd entertained with erudite prose. I have a project coming that might fill this gap (temporarily at least until your reclaim your position as the top guru).

Only an engineering mind can appreciate it a say, "that is a beautiful thing, I really want a pair of these".

Soooo cool! Do you get to keep the 3D printed jigs?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

You are having bilateral knee replacement, I had bilateral fractures of both wrists. plus a 2 flail rib injury on my back. Slit my skull but no brain injury, so I was told.

The amount of punishment a human body can take is remarkable. Sometimes there is pain, broken ribs. Other times there is non, ie Volnar plates removed from both wrists 4 months post op.

I still have 1 less than 3 dozen Percocet left from 3 go rounds with the bone Dr. Pain just didn't show up. I was thinking of selling them on EBay or give a discount to Forum members. Not.

I was next to an older guy who had 1 or both hips replacements done and didn't appear to be in any discomfort. Even after being told the DR was pounding the crap out of the new part with a hammer trying to get it in.

Hot wax, heated clay packs and physio later Hopefully things will knit together with no infection.

I took lots of pics bud didn't want to gross everyone out.

Not being a gearhead may have it's advantages, pay the piper and save the fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you with toy haulers...
I was walking up the ramp this summer after getting my sneakers wet on the morning dew. I didn't walk back down the ramp.
While sliding down on my keister, I caught my arm on the bolt that anchors the cable that helps lift the ramp. 59 stitches

Now it is just a handsome scar.

post-30647-0-60755100-1451136675_thumb.jpg

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Those of you with toy haulers...

I was walking up the ramp this summer after getting my sneakers wet on the morning dew. I didn't walk back down the ramp.

While sliding down on my keister, I caught my arm on the bolt that anchors the cable that helps lift the ramp. 59 stitches

Now it is just a handsome scar.

attachicon.gif1-arm injury 3.jpg

No other injuries?? Didn't hit head?? At our age hitting the head is the big one to worry about. The arm will heal. Nice pic though. I'm just about to make breakfast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No other injuries?? Didn't hit head?? At our age hitting the head is the big one to worry about. The arm will heal. Nice pic though. I'm just about to make breakfast.

Very manly Jeff!! ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The offending bolt has been taken care off. The entire ramp and floor is non skid coating, very ineffective I found out under certain circumstances.

I have already learned from the experience. It is far too risky at our age to go thru these injuries. I think before I move now. If I look like an old f--t so be it.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

It is far too risky at our age to go thru these injuries. I think before I move now. If I look like an old f--t so be it.

If I had a dollar for every time my children have reminded me of this I could buy a new

Volvo or at least a Smart.

Not pretty, Jeff. Just glad you did not hit your head, spine or break a bone too. You know, at "our age" we need to be even more careful.

BTW - finger is not healing well. Seems bone is disappearing at the tip despite 2 new pins. Eventually it should stop eroding and begin to grow back together again. Too darn old for this......... :(

f2.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Get yourself out in some sunshine and increase your calcium intake. Cheese, milk, Spinach, Kale, yogurt, soybeans and such but do the sunshine first with lot's of skin exposure for the Vitamin D to be able to use the calcium. Just a suggestion and not a medical opinion.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived