Phaeton or Journey?

tb919

I had a 37' Meridian before I got the 42' Tour. As far as driving stability, there is no comparison. Don't worry about brakes. They'll probably last longer than you do. Tires, on the other hand, can cost a little more. Something I learned when we got ours is that weight distribution can be a real bugger when you have a tag axle. For example, my coach has a 44,400 lb. GVW. The front axle is 14,000, the drive axle is 20,000 and the tag is 10,000. When I first got it, the was more weight on the front axle than on the drive axle. A lot of work at the dealer and a lot of trips to the scale got things as good as they could get. The front axle was only a few hundred pounds overweight. When tire replacement time came, one size larger fixed that.

The freightliner CCC guy I talked to said that tags always run heavy in front. He also said none of them are overweight when the coach builder gets them. :)

This points out the importance of weight distribution as part of the overall chassis design. Not picking on WBO or Frieghtliner with this comment. They're designed and built to hit a certain budget point, and provide solid value in that price range.

Freightliner, Spartan are the two largest suppliers to the DP class manufactures. They have different price point chassis available, which provide higher levels of not only load capacity, but as you pointed out - also better distribution of the weight.

I know the Country Coach lines pretty well, and the Dynomax chassis typically have a pretty well sorted out chassis, without most (not all, some exceptions in some models and years, a well distributed weight load.

Western RV's Peak chassis also had aspected chassis, that also had good weight distribution. And now the designer of Peak, has designed I think it is the Powerglide chassis for Tiffen also supposed to be balanced well too.

Monaco's is another example of different chassis levels as you climb higher up the food chain. RR4 in the entry, up to some very well respected, and also pretty well weight balanced chassis.

Etc., Etc.

Michael - I only commented due the info you shared from the Freightliner gent about Tag's and heavy front ends. For sure true on many coaches, but not a given on all tag coaches.

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived